PC3 Project CARS 3 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly delayed news about a Slightly Mad Studios product - Project CARS 3 is now available to the general public having released on console and PC Thursday 27th August.
  • PCARS 3 available on Xbox, PS4 and PC.
  • Over 200 cars and 120 tracks available.
At long last, following a brief early access period for people who pre-ordered the title, Project CARS 3 has finally released to the wider world - hitting real and virtual stores yesterday (Thursday 27th August) for both console and PC versions of the title.

PCARS 3 Middle.jpg

Representing something of a departure from the original Project CARS franchise, the third instalment of the series places a greater focus on the customisation of both the car and game experience - moving away from the more simulation roots of the original games.

With a loyal fanbase of the original games having mixed feelings about the new direction on the build up to release, it will be very interesting indeed to see how well received the new title is over the coming days and weeks.

PCARS 3 Middle 2.jpg

About the game:

OWN YOUR JOURNEY

• 200+ elite-brand race & road cars
• 120+ global tracks
• Wide set of race conversion kits
• Race to earn Credits & XP
• Buy & own 100s of cars
• Upgrade cars with realistic performance parts
• Customize your car liveries with racing- & community-inspired elements
• Personalize your drivers

FEEL EACH MOMENT

• Fully scalable assists for all skill levels
• Convincing & fun handling
• 24-hour cycle, dynamic all-seasons, all-weather racing
• Unrivalled Controller Experience
• Visceral sense of speed
• Intense crash effects & car-contact
• Enhanced AI

EARN EVERY WIN

• New & deeply engaging career mode
• Battle your way up from weekend warrior to racing legend
• New & compelling Multiplayer and Community Modes
• Fun & exciting Daily Challenges

Project CARS 3 is available now for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Got questions about the sim? Want to share your thoughts and opinions about the latest title with the sim racing community? No worries, head over to the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread today!

PCARS 3 Footer.jpg

Last edited:
This is like the tail wagging the dog.

First, AMS2 is not on console. Most Project Cars sales are on console. The existence of AMS2 should not influence the direction of PC3.

Second, even on PC, AMS2 was always going to be a niche product. There were 10 people playing PC2 for every person playing AMS1 on steam. Even if Reiza doubled or trebled their market share (and it hasn't) they were not going to be a "thrreat" to PC3. Indeed PC2 has always sold better on the steam sales charts than AMS2, even though its 3 years old and still full price.

Third, SMS do not own Reiza. They will get a small % of the sales revenue of AMS2. SMS would not destroy their prime IP to help out Reiza. ISI did not stop making sims just because they licensed out their game engine.

Fourth, Paul Rustchynsky who was game director on PC3, joined SMS in August 2018 which was before Reiza had even asked to try the Madness Engine. I'm pretty sure SMS had decided to go for the Shift type game before AMS2 was even a factor. Paul Rustchynsky worked on Drive Club and Onrush prior to joining SMS. He is not the guy you hire for a hardcore sim.

Thanks for the info, I'm even more baffled by the decision to go sim lite then!

Thanks for the info, I'm even more baffled by the decision to go sim lite then!

To be fair I'm just as puzzled and confused.

My only suggestion is Ian had a desire to revisit his NFS Shift days and make a new Shift exactly as he wanted without any EA influence. NFS Shift did sell very well - 5 million copies. It had EA marketing behind it and the NFS brand, but Ian seems have unlimited confidence in his own ability to succeed, and presumably he felt he could duplicate the original Shift's commercial success.

Often he is right - he took a mod team called Simbin to be the most successful racing sim developer of its time. He took a crowd-funded racing sim to being the fastest selling racing sim of its time and very profitable. But equally he sometimes gets it wrong as evidenced by the disaster of Fast & Furious Crossroads and now Project Cars 3.

ACC is an absolute junk vs Pcars 3 on consoles .
-The consistency between gamepad/wheel
-Framerate & the consistency of the frametime
-car & track variety
-Difference in input lag

Any normal human being not having spending thousands on DD wheel & a gaming computer must roll their eye watching all the narcissist panicking.

Obviously if it run at 60fps on console, the PC spec requirement I suppose is lower.

I'm a bit biased, cause I learned to bomb dive with the brake in AC to produce pro laptime.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 113 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 291 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.6%