PC3 Project CARS 3 | New Update Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The first update for Project CARS 3 has been released by Slightly Mad Studios.
  • First update for new game.
  • Multiple game crash fixes released.
  • Thrustmaster T-GT support added.

Update time, the first one as well - yes, Project CARS 3 players have something new to download the next time they fire up their copy of the somewhat controversial game, as Slightly Mad Studios have deployed a brand-new update to the new title across both console and PC versions of the title.

So, what is new so early into the life of this fresh new title? Well, the changelog notes are certainly pretty substantial, as Slightly Mad Studios look to react quickly to any outstanding issues within the game that became apparent post launch. Arguably the most noteworthy of the new fixes will be the CTD fixes and difficulty updates, although Thrustmaster T-GT wheel owners can now use their peripheral within the title thanks to the addition of support for this slightly older force feedback wheel.

Check out the update notes below:

Audio

• Fixed double audio when quitting during the 3-2-1 pre-race countdown
Rendering
  • Toned down red crash vignette
  • Fixed clouds popping-in during races
  • Fixed shiny vinyl when using gloss base
  • Fixed random shadow flickering in-game
GUI
  • Fixed Player Label corruption upon restarting a race
  • Improvements to Replay Mode UI
  • Fixed inability to select anyone below P12 in Spectator Mode
  • The tuning button in Pre-Race Menu now shows the name of the currently-selected tuning setup
  • Tuning button disabled in Rivals
  • Fixed screens not showing “Blizzard” weather type
  • Weather info made consistent throughout all screens in-game
  • Enabled Photo Mode in replay
  • Default colors to be used by patterns (black, white, grey) assigned
  • Added on-screen hint for how to take a photo in Photo Mode
  • Improved player label visuals for online/offline experience.
  • The background now scales with text.
  • Fixed fonts on Player labels on restarting a race
  • Lap counter on point-to-point tracks hidden
  • Subtitles stuck in races fixed
Career
  • Increased Difficulty for Road E
  • Increased Road D Hot Lap 3 target time
  • Increased Road D PaceSetter 2 target time
  • Increased Difficulty for GT C & GT B
  • Adjusted Race Length for GT C Race 5
  • Adjusted Race Length for GT B Race 5
  • The adjusted difficulty for Challenges Championships to match other changes
  • Adjusted number of corners to master in GT A Majors Long Beach from 10 to 9
  • Fixed invalid lap-time during rolling starts at Havana Capitolio
  • Fixed issue where the car lost all its customization and appeared red in the 2nd round of the championships in Career
  • Always use player’s choice for gearing when in Quick Play and Scheduled Events assigned
  • The Player now returns to the lobby when quitting out of Spectator Mode
  • Rivals event participation rewards increased
Crash Fixes
  • Fixed a crash when tuning the Jaguar XJ220 and the McLaren F1
  • Fixed crash when user selected replay from a customization screen on re-entering from a replay
  • Fixed crash when last “My Style” was removed
  • Fixed customization rims size crashing if moving between vehicles with different number of available sizes
  • Fixed crash when entering “Deal of the Day” via the career
Vehicles

Formula E:

• GUI logo, vehicle name, and country flag updated
  • DS Techeetah team livery updated
  • Championship livery added, set as new default livery
Peripherals
  • Logitech wheels issues on PS4 fixed
  • Support added for Thrustmaster T-GT
PC Only
  • Profanity filter for system messages removed
  • Improved performance on high “supersampling”
  • Triple screen settings UI improvements
  • Fixed triple screen configuration issues on frontend

Project CARS 3 is available now on PC and console.

Have questions and need answers? Our community is the one for you! Post a thread in the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let the community help you out!

PCARS 3 Footer.jpg

Attachments

• PCARS 3 Header.jpg
    PCARS 3 Header.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Speaking as someone who got excited when the Hobbit adventure game was released nearly 40 years ago (and I was in my late 30's) because it had graphics as well as text I must agree with you. TBH I don't really care if each blade of grass isn't perfect I'm usually just trying to keep on track and go as fast as possible.
I often think we've lost the ability to appreciate just how good even so called bad graphics are in comparison to what we used to enjoy. View attachment 407050
Close the green door made me chuckle after the Nvidia paper launch and everyone going crazy about it.
Just close the "green" door and wait for the cards to really hit the market :roflmao:

About pcars 3 graphics:
They aren't bad but they have this strange combination of really awesome looking parts and then very bland and non-detailed, some would call it "lifeless" areas.
Mobile games often have this combination.
Where you have a car looking photo realistic but everything outside of the tarmac looking like 10-15 years ago.

This is what's making me think of mobile games.. Not sure what else people could mean.

Also some textures aren't really.. "crisp" I would call it. Like awesome reflections and stuff but no details in them.

Shiny on the outside, dead on the inside...

Have to say I still like the looks of pcars 3. Not blowing me away or anything but it looks decently and runs smoothly on a 1070 in 3440x1440!

Last edited:
I don't have an exact date or anything, but something interesting has happened over, let's say, the last 10 years or so. Video game graphics have seemed to reach some kind of magic tipping point for me where I genuinely can't tell the difference between games people say have "good graphics" and those that supposedly have "bad graphics". I mean, I'm not blind. If you put two games at the extreme side by side, I'll be able to say "that one looks better" but it happens to me all the time that there is a new game released with "terrible graphics"...I squint, I zoom, I upscale YouTube to 1080p...but I can't see it.

Speaking as someone who got excited when the Hobbit adventure game was released nearly 40 years ago (and I was in my late 30's) because it had graphics as well as text I must agree with you. TBH I don't really care if each blade of grass isn't perfect I'm usually just trying to keep on track and go as fast as possible.
I often think we've lost the ability to appreciate just how good even so called bad graphics are in comparison to what we used to enjoy. View attachment 407050

100% agree, The hyperbole regarding modern graphics is ridiculous. I remember getting my 3dfx Voodoo card and was blown away with quake.....every single modern game I fire up I love the graphics, they are superb. Some may be better than others but they are all superb. Currently playing "Control" and I love the graphics, yet see people complaining online.

can u move the seat yet?
Yes you can :);), press 'Ctrl + K' while in car to activate function, use keys W A S D to move seat in. out, up, down:thumbsup:...sadly it is not in the Menu so I could set it up on my wheel :( and it does not save when I finished the race. I have to press 'Ctrl + K' every time I wanted to move the seat position in different cars, but better than nothing:)

Stop advertising this game.....got nothing to do with the sim community....

Give me a break. Why did you even come into this topic on this game when you knew what it was.
All games do not have to meet your high ego SIM racing type game. There are some here that enjoy
what the game does.

And yes, I have the game and it meets my requirements of replacing the older GRID games plus VR.
I knew this was not a SIM game, And all works fine for me when doing special event racing.

The games that Paul posts do not have to always be SIM related and there are many games that fit
that category and he does allot of them and glad he does. So get off of Paul's back on what he should post here.

Currently playing "Control" and I love the graphics, yet see people complaining online.
Control has some graininess to its graphics, which looks kinda weird, but as far as visual style goes (and also audio), it might be the most impressive game I have ever seen. Some of the environments and scenes are incredible. I was regretting not doing one of my "photography playthroughs" when I originally played it, and I'm still thinking of giving it a second go if/when I have time for it...

(Sorry for OT.)

can we stop posting articles for PCars 3 on this website now ?
it's an arcade game,they dropped everything about simulation, it's just another forza / grid (not that they're bad, they just don't suit here), it has nothing to do here

can we stop posting articles for PCars 3 on this website now ?
it's an arcade game,they dropped everything about simulation, it's just another forza / grid (not that they're bad, they just don't suit here), it has nothing to do here
Awwww, is someone holding you down, holding your eyes open and making you read all the PC3/Dirt/Hotshot Racing/F1 2020 articles against your will?!
Hate when that happens :p

You can probably tell where this is going, but can someone tell me, in specific terms, what about the PC3 graphics are bad?

So, to start, I'm 46, and I recently bought reading glasses so it maybe I can't even see the finest detail on a screen.

However, In a couple of the videos I have seen where they run Pcars 2 and Pcars 3 side by side with the same car on the same track, It seemed quite clear to me that the Pcars 2 version was crisper and more detailed.So it might not be that they are bad graphics, Just a bizarre downgrade, which along with worse performance for some people creates a poor impression.

I've also seen videos where they compare specific body parts and lighting and state that the Pcars3 ones are of higher detail, so there is that....

Last edited:
Kind of a rant, but I want to put aside the drama bandwagon for a sec and talk about tech issues.

As someone who got into VR racing in PC1, I played a good amount of PC2 and understand the disappointment in PC3. They titled it wrong but I was fine trying it as something akin to Shift.

I gotta say that the overall graphics themselves aren't bad at all in the newest game but there is some kind of blur on top of the whole thing that gives that impression. I've tried it at max settings on 21:9 3440x1440 and in VR on a Valve Index.

When in max resolution on my ultrawide, there is quite a big amount of detail inside the car and outside of the track (track side details/objects, the new grass, etc). But that forced AA vaseline smeared on my face is what I believe is truly what people are seeing hurting the graphics. I strongly believe that is what is giving the impression of poor quality graphics detail. I see no way to remove that and it's awful. They need to fix it.

PC2 and AMS2 with the same settings is almost like a 2x jump in clarity in VR (and while not as high, a good bit more crisp on normal monitors). I've tried tweaking the config and the aliasing does become much worse if you mess with it but it just doesn't clear up even with sharpening. It doesn't feel like PC2's MSAA option which I actually use on High over SS for a better, sharper image alongside sharpening. You know what other game uses heavy-handed AA in VR? It makes me sad because I freaking love it, but Race Room. For me, VR in that game has always been one of the blurriest experiences in VR sim racing and I could never figure out a work-around.

Also, VR performance is total garbage. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional unless they've never played PC2. The same settings I use for PC2 or AMS2 with amazing results is literally giving me 1/2 to 1/3 the FPS, super high frametimes and permanent reprojection with blurred visuals. I don't need to stay in permanent Motion Smoothing in my Valve Index for PC2 and AMS2 but in PC3, 80/40 FPS is the zone I'm stuck in and it's a chop fest (3900x w/1080 Ti).

Graphics aside, I'm willing to bet that if the handling model in PC2 was a half-way compromise between PC2 and PC3, people would have liked PC2 more. But there is a lot of detail missing in the wheel in PC3. Stuff that shows up just fine in my Buttkicker setup using PC2 settings in SimHub. No option for custom FFB hurts this.

Cleaning my mailbox today, found this email received 4th Nov 2011:

Project CARS Wants You!

Hello, Keni1

Thank you for registering at WMD! Until now, you´ve been missing out on all the exciting features a membership on our team has to offer. Today is a great day to change that as we've just released a brand new development build of Project CARS for all team members to try.

Project CARS already includes plenty of content to keep you entertained for weeks, including:

- A rich selection of cars, including classical Formula cars and state of the art touring car & sports car machinery

- Four tracks, including three real-life circuits and a highly versatile test track

- Race mode to test your skills against up to 15 AI components

Aside from getting to enjoy regular development builds, members also get to follow the development of Project CARS up close, talk to the developers in our busy forum and have a say in key decisions regarding the future of title.

Sounds tempting? Then head over to our Tool Packs page and get tooled up! Membership starts for as little as 10 Euro as one-time payment, no subscription involved.

http://forum.wmdportal.com/toolpacks.php

We would love to welcome you as member on our team soon!

Regards,
The Slightly Mad Studios Team

I tried it out - from my admittedly brief test drive, it really seems like very nice option if you want an arcade racer. I'm very picky about gamepad controls for racing games and, for what it's worth, I felt like PCars3 drove exceptionally well with a controller. That said, I barely have time for proper sims, let alone arcade racers, so I would have needed to be really blown away to not pull the refund trigger.

Kind of an epic marketing fail, I think. No way would I say the game sucks - not even close. Yet, I hear a lot of people making that exact assessment. I don't think SMS did themselves any favors with (yet again) over the top marketing hype plus not being, in my opinion, straightforward with us about what this game actually is. It's a fun "beer & pretzels" arcade racer, not some kind of genre redefining hybrid (which I think SMS made an effort to present it as).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.7%