PC3 Project CARS 3 | New Game Announced For Summer 2020 Release

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly Mad Studios have dropped their first reveal trailer for Project CARS 3 - also confirming the game will be available on console and PC this summer.

With two and a half years having passed since Project CARS 2 hit the public stores back in September 2017, Slightly Mad Studios have undergone quite a bit of change, having teamed up with Codemasters and announced their Fast and Furious arcade racer.

Well, the team are back again this year it seems, with the third instalment of the Project CARS franchise due to drop in just a few short months.

Not much is known about the new game at this stage, however the announcement trailer and tweet do suggest maybe a more street car focus for the new title, which is an interesting change of direction from the first two instalments in the franchise.

Stay tuned for more information as and when it becomes available.

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Stay tuned for the upcoming Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment - a great place to discuss this interesting new title with fellow simulation fans.

PCARS 3 1.jpg

Ok, whatever you say boss. When Supercars aren't in AMS2, don't say I didn't warn you. If the game doesn't change, it will fail. Simple as that. Clearly you've made up your mind that you'll be a fanboy either way. That's you choice but a lot of people aren't a fan of the madness engine. End of story. Just for the record, some drivers I know actually race V8 Supercars. Either way, you might want to do something about that anger. I'd hate to see how you react over real issues if this is how fired up you get over a game

Seriously you must be totally confused, there are V8 supercars in AMS2 since the very beginning lol wtf are you smoking man?
I race them every day, plenty of videos even here on RD.

As for fired up? Are you actually for real lol?
All im doing is proving you wrong.
Either way i dont wish to spoil this thread so we shouldnt be debating AMS2 here really.

Last edited:
If Project Cars 3 if an evolution of 1, then it is on good way. If it is an evolution of 2 then it is to be forgotten. Project 2 is too bad in car physics. A pity. Let's see what 3 looks like.

Interview with the developers of pCars3.
I just found this in a danish gaming magazine.
Translated via google trans:

We talked to the developers and got a little look at Project Cars 3

Project Cars was a wonderful racing game. Project Cars 2 was even better. Slightly Mad Studios took all the earned experience from their work on titles such as GTR 2, Need for Speed: Shift and Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends and asked fans for money to realize the simulator dream, Project Cars, and since that day the studio has competed in the top of the sub-genre against big titles like Assetto Corsa and iRacing.
With the final game, a passionate team from the outskirts of London managed to challenge giants such as Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo, not to mention PC-exclusive simulator guns such as Raceroom and Rfactor.
And when we heard that Slightly Mad was getting ready to announce the third game of the series, we grabbed the chance to grab the studio and find out more.

Before producer Pete Morrish and esports manager Joe Barron of Slightly Mad jumped into an online meeting with us on Monday, I got the opportunity to see a roughly 20-minute presentation of Project Cars 3.
During this brief hands-off demo, the game was shown from several different angles, and although Ian Bell and his racing team currently do not discuss the selection of cars, the number of lanes and the included racing disciplines, it was clear that the studio aims to spread market and hit more players - something it has already done successfully with Project Cars 2.

"One of the most important aspects for us this time has been trying to create a racing game that never compromises on the fact that it simulates absolute reality when it comes to conditions on the track, how the cars behave and so on, but at the same time don't scare beginner players away. We want to make Project Cars 3 easier to get into. Easier, in the beginning, with a smaller threshold. Part of this has been about creating a better and more rewarding feeling when you drive a gamepad, "Morrish told us.

The presentation we get to see is more similar to Forza Horizon than Assetto Corsa, with neon yellow arrows, pink name tags, flashing icons and heavily italicized HUD typography.
I'm honestly a little surprised at how "arcade-like" it looks in terms of the presentation itself.
Early in the interview, I asked, more generally, whether the focus had shifted to a more easily accessible experience.
But Pete Morrish assures me that this is a misunderstanding.

"This is a pure simulator and we have built the game on the same engine with the same physics system on the stable foundation we created in Project Cars 2," the manufacturer explained.
"The car physics are finely polished and the driving is now even sharper, more intense.
At the same time, as I said, we aim to expand our target audience further, attract new players and be inclusive rather than exclusive, which I think some games in this sub-genre can actually be.
It's quickly becoming a bit boring in the racing simulator genre, I feel, a bit elitist, and we'll definitely try to counter that with Project Cars 3. "

The idea is, of course, a good one. With Project Cars 2, I think Slightly Mad succeeded better than many of its competitors, and continuing to build on this successful concept is smart.
But at the same time, the video presentation gave me the mood of, for example, Forza Motorsport 7, where Turn 10 tried to do exactly the same thing, but went a little too far.
That game was too easily accessible and too inviting when it came to new players, and in doing so, it scared away a portion of the racially-fixated hardcore audience who had adored Microsoft's Gran Turismo challenger since its Xbox premiere. Of course, there is a risk in everything, and although the user interface can be turned off in Project Cars, it feels at first glance as if it might be a bit too silly for my liking.

In addition, however much I loved Project Cars 2, there is a major problem that still plagues parts of the game, and I would ask Slightly Mad if they perceived the problem the same way I (and large parts of the gaming community) did and still does. Project Cars 2 was packed with content. A little too much, I would say. Parts of the game felt like they were overflowing. About 50 of the 170 cars never held the same high standard as the rest of the content, and this is something that Morrish is very conscious of.

"We know. We prayed for more than we could chew, and it got a little packed there, in certain sections and in certain places.
Some cars were much better made in terms of car physics than others, and there were also lanes that were less detailed than others.
We've been working hard on it this time. I can't promise other than that I really think Project Cars 3 will feel a lot smoother, tight. We are more focused this time. "

Can Project Cars 3 improve on top of an already brilliant recipe and offer a racing experience that keeps the most engaged fans engaged and at the same time attracting new blood?
When asked about the rallycross and whether it will be included or not, the study's representatives said they had no comment on it right now.
I get the same answer as I ask about the number of cars being included and whether the game is being released on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.
By now, all mouths are closed, at least a few more months.

Haha thats OK.:thumbsup:
I posted this because eventhough the interviewer himself is probably stuck closer to the archade-ish camp than hardcore sim-ish then he is at least trying to express some conserns about a too arcadish outcome of the comming game.
But the Mad :roflmao: developer are gliding off on the questions trying to say that the game will both be beginner friendly (arcadish) and extremely realistic(sim-ish).:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that Austin is a good enough driver that he could make pcars look like ACC and then could make ACC look like Forza. Not saying the game will be bad, won't know that until it actually releases, just something to keep in mind when watching his marketing demos.
-----------------------
Anybody else have a sneaking suspicion that Austin has a burner account or two here at RD? Probably just me being a hater/cynic, but with Ian Bell as his puppet master it is a possibility.
-----------------------
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if this game ends up being an uber-sim or a Forza clone, it has pretty graphics and a slick marketing campaign powered by plenty of $$$; it will sell like hotcakes.

Seriously you must be totally confused, there are V8 supercars in AMS2 since the very beginning lol wtf are you smoking man?
I race them every day, plenty of videos even here on RD.

As for fired up? Are you actually for real lol?
All im doing is proving you wrong.
Either way i dont wish to spoil this thread so we shouldnt be debating AMS2 here really.

Funny looking Mustang, Volvo, Mercedes, Falcon (FG and FGX), Commodore VF and Nissan.

Hmm....the hype train begins again.

Best VR support on PC....does it support Nvidia SPS, VRSS and sharpening?
AMD liquidVr?
IMO iracing atm has the best image clarity and performance of all the current PC racing sims for Nvidia users.

Any dirt content in this title or do I have to buy Codies Dirt game as well that will most likely be running the madness engine?

Proper MP lobbies?

When Ian releases a roadmap stating support for the title will be longer than 12 months after launch than I'll consider it.

Shift 2....support dropped months after release due to poor sales.

PC1 & PC2 1yr support with lots of bugs and missing features.
The majority of criticism that the titles received could have been minimized with longer support.

Will the trend continue? Prove us wrong Ian!

Edit: on a positive side the AI looks improved from past titles.

Last edited:
Just found this on a Aussie Site called (The Gamesmen)

Project CARS 3 is the third installment in the best-seller racing franchise that brings all the intense thrills, emotions and fun from the vibrant world of motor racing to vivid life as players undertake a whole new exciting career journey that sees them rise from weekend warrior to racing legend.

Also new to the franchise is a deeply engaging meta-game that challenges players to race hard and earn in-game Credits with which to buy and own hundreds of cars from the world’s most elite brands and race them all on dynamic and spectacular circuits around the globe featuring stunning all-weather, all-seasons conditions.

Race-won Credits and XP will also entice players to buy authentic performance upgrades and customization options for their stable of exclusive cars, including wheels, tyres, body kits, rims, as well as personalisation options to create their own racing hero personas.

With a completely redesigned and unrivaled controller experience, an even more accurate and fun handling model, adjustable skill settings for every level of driver and every element of weather-affected races, Project CARS 3 is the biggest, most exciting and authentic evolution to the definitive racing franchise.

OWN YOUR JOURNEY
• Race over 200 elite-brand race & road cars
• Over 140 global tracks
• Experience the visual spectacle of true-to-life dynamic all-seasons, all-weather racing
• Wide set of race conversion kits
• Race to earn Credits and XP to:

o Buy and own hundreds of cars
o Upgrade cars with realistic performance parts that affect handling and power
o Customize your cars’ liveries with racing- and community-inspired elements along with decals, rims, tyres, license plates, race numbers, and more
o Personalize your drivers with characters, outfits, and helmets

FEEL EACH MOMENT
• Fully scalable assists for all skill levels
• New tyre model for convincing & fun handling
• 24-hour cycle, dynamic all-seasons, all-weather racing
• Unrivaled Controller Experience
• Visceral sense of speed
• Intense crash effects and authentic car-contact
• Enhanced AI
• 12K and best-in-class VR Support (on PC)

EARN EVERY WIN
• New and deeply engaging career mode
• Battle your way up from weekend warrior to racing legend
• New & compelling Multiplayer and Community Modes
• Fun & exciting Daily Challenges

I'm a huge fan of PC2, and I consider the best sim for single-player prototype racing. Furthermore, with a top PC and properly setting the game, the best VR experience in simdriving. Obvioulsy, just my opinion.

Well, I don't like the showcase of PC3: anyone can feel the arcadish feeling, it seems mario kart without shooting. But the engine is the same of PC2, and I though that maybe they just do what they say. To make user-frendly for beginners PC2 thanks to a more predictive behavior of the car (that is also a standard criticism of simdriver agains PC2) and attract the attention of console users/casual gamers with a career mode full of "funny target". But maybe, without driving helps and in single race mode (I think the more used feature by simdrivers) it can be a better PC2 version, with a more linear behevior of cars, better AI, better ffb.

Obviously is a big "maybe". It can be as it seems, a need for speed game, so something that sim community (and I) dont ask for. But I'm curious.

Thank you for the videos in the forum here and the video interview with the Devs. Not mentioned and confused about this game, I am still trying to understand one basic part of the gameplay for PC3. What is the max laps for a race in PC3? Can we do long races with PITTING single player or online? Can we set any desired number of AI cars to race against in a single player?
Or is everything in this game just quick 10-20 lap races and NO pitting on any of the tracks?

Have to fire up my GRID and SHIFT games again to see how they worked, havent run them for a while.

Hope there will be more covered or explained on race gameplay shown in the future for this game for both single player and online.

thanks and take care.

Or is everything in this game just quick 10-20 lap races and NO pitting on any of the tracks?

In a recent interview, some developers said that the main changes are limited to the career mode. The single race mode should be just like PC2. They say that the sim core is the same of PC2, just with better helps to introduce new players to the game. So, I really hope that closed pits are related to a specific racing mode, not the single race/simulation mode.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 97 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 352 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 490 39.2%