PC3 Project CARS 3 | More Images And Details Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly Mad Studios have revealed some further images from their new Project CARS 3 game, with a little more details about the customisation options within the title.

Having made it's debut public airing back on June 3rd via their reveal trailer, Project CARS 3 developers Slightly Mad Studios have continued to tease the public with a few small image releases from the upcoming game, including a little bit of a clarification around the level of customisation set to feature within the new title.

Project CARS 3 Preview 5.jpg

Initially feared by the sim racing community to have a significant lean towards arcade style play within the new title, the developers have been at pains to explain that the game will featured a wider than ever before level of assist customisation when it releases later this year - giving options to both those who wish for a quick pick up and play scenario, and those looking for a more simulation experience within the game.

It will be interesting to see how Slightly Mad Studios balance the needs of the seasoned sim racers looking for a more authentic experience than the original entries into the franchise, against a potentially larger audience who are looking for a simpler and faster gameplay experience.

Whatever direction the studio decide to take with this new game, one thing is for sure, it's highly likely to divide the sim racing community!

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Want to discuss this new game with fellow sim racing fans? No worries, head over to the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread!

Project CARS 3 Preview 4.jpg

Project CARS 3 Preview 3.jpg

guys, we all remeber how pcars2 was announced as "the most real sim" and so on.
SMS have quite a history for not delivering what promised.
I still hope pcars3 will be good but yes, I learned to never take too seriously what SMS announces.
There's always some unfair overstatement when enters Pcars 2 in a discussion. Objectively, when it came out it inlcuded much more racing sim features than many others : weather, driving in pits, different start possibilities, night & day cycle, amazing VR implementation ; one the best immersion on the market. When properly adjusted, the FFB is good. The track and car selection is the best one of any sim. Sure, there are some drawbacks (bad puddles implementation, forced clutch, AI issues, no more real weather support), but which sim doesn't have?

Seriously, Assetto Corsa, although being great, is absolutely flawed in many aspects : no stall, no pit driving, no weather, no day & night cycle, lots of uninteresting content, awful damage system, slippy kirbs. I never feel immersed in a race in AC, always feel like I'm in a small Sunday training event. Is that a reason to state it is not a proper sim and a good product of its time? No. It's as amazing as PCars 2, in another way (modding!) and also as bad.

With Automobilista 2 and the neverending new content for AC, the current rebirth of RaceRoom, rfactor2 neverending development, sure it's going to be hard to get interested in PCars3. I understand the move to a more casual audience.

Anyway, let's see. There is no reason SMS can't implement realistic behaviour in this more casual game. And it is what many people have been dreaming for a long time : an arcade racing environment with realistic physics.

There's always some unfair overstatement when enters Pcars 2 in a discussion. Objectively, when it came out it inlcuded much more racing sim features than many others : weather, driving in pits, different start possibilities, night & day cycle, amazing VR implementation ; one the best immersion on the market. When properly adjusted, the FFB is good. The track and car selection is the best one of any sim. Sure, there are some drawbacks (bad puddles implementation, forced clutch, AI issues, no more real weather support), but which sim doesn't have?

Seriously, Assetto Corsa, although being great, is absolutely flawed in many aspects : no stall, no pit driving, no weather, no day & night cycle, lots of uninteresting content, awful damage system, slippy kirbs. I never feel immersed in a race in AC, always feel like I'm in a small Sunday training event. Is that a reason to state it is not a proper sim and a good product of its time? No. It's as amazing as PCars 2, in another way (modding!) and also as bad.

With Automobilista 2 and the neverending new content for AC, the current rebirth of RaceRoom, rfactor2 neverending development, sure it's going to be hard to get interested in PCars3. I understand the move to a more casual audience.

Anyway, let's see. There is no reason SMS can't implement realistic behaviour in this more casual game. And it is what many people have been dreaming for a long time : an arcade racing environment with realistic physics.
There actually is weather and day/night for AC look up "Sol" in the downloads section, but yeah I agree that it is incomplete besides that

Jason, I see you enjoy arcade games, so one question... Have you tried the game BeamNG?

I saw some videos of it, and its body physics look spectacular, how the bodywork and chassis deforms and break. But it seems not to be a racing game per se though...

Yes I have it. It is fun for awhile but really you just drive around and does get boring eventually. There are a few challenges that are a lot of fun.

I like all driving games and rarely spend a lot of time on just one.

I am still waiting for more details and videos on the game play for the race events in PC3. Also the included track list for the game - if there more different tracks compared to PC2. Are the race events in this game only going to be short max 10 lap races like a GRID, and no pitting? Also will this game be offered on STEAM? No mention of PC3 there at this time.

I am still open minded about this game because of it having VR support, still kind of vague on what PC3 can do.

Added: I also want to see what our great game reviewers say about the game after it is released.

Last edited:
Yes I have it. It is fun for awhile but really you just drive around and does get boring eventually. There are a few challenges that are a lot of fun.

I like all driving games and rarely spend a lot of time on just one.

I guess that in a few years time Sim developers will implement this kind of physics to some
degree, though not that much level of realism because most people want to drive and not stop and waste much time watching these spectacular crashes... but, like iRacing has done
lately, it's an open feature for the future.

I really liked Forza 7 with my wheel before going VR. If VR and physics are at least as good as Forza 7 and it has tons of street cars and VR i would buy it. I love street car racing and unfortunately there ist no sim out there with modern street cars

While I like the "everyday normal car building, tuning and racing" aspect of the upcoming game, I am just not sure that SMS will be able to deliver. I am going to be cautiously optimistic so, that means I will be looking at reviews and asking trusted friends about their thoughts.

Waiting to see, but I am seriously put off by the warp speed picture. That one with the motion blur all over it (3/10 Perfect corner image). I know it should be an option that can be turned off, but that just bristles the Alcantara every time I see it. I wish game studios would just stop showing that mess.

:Edit 2:
And I read the article. Ignore just about every thing I just wrote, because this is really starting familiar. I have a bad feeling about PCARS3.

Last edited:
We were told PC1 was going to be the most bestest sim ever. It wasn't. It was actually kinda crummy.

Then we were told PC2 was going to raise the bar and being the most bestest bestest sim ever. It wasn't. It was a incremental (still deeply flawed) improvement over PC1.

I will take anything being said about PC3 with a grain of salt. Honestly, if they would just drop the sim pretense and go full on simcade (like a spiritual successor to GRID and/or a tin-top version of F1 2020), I would be fine with that.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 116 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 301 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 429 39.6%