PC3 Project CARS 3 | More Images And Details Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Slightly Mad Studios have revealed some further images from their new Project CARS 3 game, with a little more details about the customisation options within the title.

Having made it's debut public airing back on June 3rd via their reveal trailer, Project CARS 3 developers Slightly Mad Studios have continued to tease the public with a few small image releases from the upcoming game, including a little bit of a clarification around the level of customisation set to feature within the new title.

Project CARS 3 Preview 5.jpg

Initially feared by the sim racing community to have a significant lean towards arcade style play within the new title, the developers have been at pains to explain that the game will featured a wider than ever before level of assist customisation when it releases later this year - giving options to both those who wish for a quick pick up and play scenario, and those looking for a more simulation experience within the game.

It will be interesting to see how Slightly Mad Studios balance the needs of the seasoned sim racers looking for a more authentic experience than the original entries into the franchise, against a potentially larger audience who are looking for a simpler and faster gameplay experience.

Whatever direction the studio decide to take with this new game, one thing is for sure, it's highly likely to divide the sim racing community!

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Want to discuss this new game with fellow sim racing fans? No worries, head over to the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread!

Project CARS 3 Preview 4.jpg

Project CARS 3 Preview 3.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have revealed some further images from their new Project CARS 3 game, with a little more details about the customisation options within the title.

Having made it's debut public airing back on June 3rd via their reveal trailer, Project CARS 3 developers Slightly Mad Studios have continued to tease the public with a few small image releases from the upcoming game, including a little bit of a clarification around the level of customisation set to feature within the new title.

View attachment 381864

Initially feared by the sim racing community to have a significant lean towards arcade style play within the new title, the developers have been at pains to explain that the game will featured a wider than ever before level of assist customisation when it releases later this year - giving options to both those who wish for a quick pick up and play scenario, and those looking for a more simulation experience within the game.

It will be interesting to see how Slightly Mad Studios balance the needs of the seasoned sim racers looking for a more authentic experience than the original entries into the franchise, against a potentially larger audience who are looking for a simpler and faster gameplay experience.

Whatever direction the studio decide to take with this new game, one thing is for sure, it's highly likely to divide the sim racing community!

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Want to discuss this new game with fellow sim racing fans? No worries, head over to the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread!

View attachment 381865
View attachment 381866
I am not conviced of the approach "take all" and frequently this carry to a simcade which do not satisfy anyone. I hope to be wrong and that PC3 will be a milestone but I wait to see it working really

I'm not convinced by their approach. Making the game accessible and the handling system customizable sounds like a good idea, but I doubt a "beginner-friendly" handling model can be stretched far enough to accomodate the realism hardcore fans are looking for.

If they can get it right, brillant - then we get a brillant-looking sim(cade) game. If not, this might tank badly...
Forget PCARS and think:
You nailed physics and handling in a sim. What can you do to make the sim enjoyable for simracers and casual gamers? Easy, you create a pletora of driving aids, so everyone can customize them to their liking.

But first of all they have to nail both physics and handling. The idea is perfect, but in general, it seems like console developers are scared as hell to provide a level of simulation so high and they always sacrifice it in the name of shame (arcade only, or simcade if we are lucky), despite with all their money (Turn10 and Poliphony) they could create a damn perfect sim.

Actually I'd be quite excited about an arcade racer with decent FFB. I don't mind if this has no pit stops, no brake fade, limited setup options etc etc - but if it does have a reasonably convincing driving model, so that when you drive it with a wheel, it has convincing handling, I'm in. If it can achieve that, then I'll buy into the rest of it (tuning, silly fake racetracks and so on). After all, Wreckfest did EXACTLY THAT..

Seeing as a lot of the 'sim' community cried foul about PCARS2, I don't know why there is so much ill feeling towards SMS for promoting PCARS3 and the likelihood it is more leaning towards a an arcade racer than sim.

If you want a sim, go play rFactors2 or AMS2 or ACC etc.

PCARS3 to me seems more aimed at the console racing community than the hardcore PC sim racer.

getting project gotham vibes. and thats not a bad thing. im still waiting for an arcade racing game that feels good with a wheel. i dont mean realistic ffb or physics, but something that feels....idk, fun.

i still have nightmares (exaggerating) from buying forza 6 and trying it with a wheel. i had only played assetto with a wheel up to that point and i didnt realize how spoiled i was by it. the problem is forza leans toward sim, even if it is really simcade. their ffb is just horrendous. but i think if you pair arcade ffb WITH arcade physics then it might just be awesome. especially if we get vr too.

IF is a big word when it comes to sms, they didnt get anything right so far and failed miserably to deliver what they promised up to now.

The more dev teams in the sim market the better for us the end user so in that aspect i hope they succeed but i highly doubt it will be anything approaching the top sims like ACC,AMS2,RF2,R3E.

Yeah i agree with both of you guys. I mean this game could be a great suceess or it could be awful. It seems like a money grab to sell kind of the same game with some new features. It looks to me that codematers are trying to make money out of sms, that's just my opinion.

Still enjoyed Pcars 2 till today but I am not too comfortable with the wider appeal approach. It sounds good on paper but some of the more simulation parts maybe downtuned to fit the wider appeal approach.

Reiza managed to do a great job with essentially the same engine as Pcars 2. Pcars issue is largely tuning issues for a lot of cars but the cars that they have extensive data, like the Formula Renault or some of the GT3s, they are a bliss to drive.

"look how realistic is this arcade looking racing game!"
This is the sum of their marketing
Only a blind man would not see that SMS are doing a arcade game cause the simulation with this engine is made by Reiza (AMS2) so as SMS cannot stand on par of reiza on the field f simulation they decided to make a step back and to return to arcade times of Shift series

Aiming a game at both Casual Gamers and Hardcore Simmers?

Does that sound like a perfect combination for atrocious online to anyone else?
Who knows? But what would be atrocious for online for sure would be Racenet. Also I really hope it's to late in development to link career mode to that failure of a service. Yeah, I hate Racenet with a passion.

On Playstaton you already have GT series
You dont need PC when GT is superior (and GT7 looks like they are returning to the good old GT series game after the GTS experiment)
Well, to be honest, GT6 was the one I was disappointed about and made me leave for PC for driving games, too. I for one wouldn't mind having a game similar to the GT series on PC, especially with decent VR like in the PCars series. So I'm open for that, but still cautious as we all know the marketing department of SMS is a bit off with it's claims, so I'm going to wait till the dust settles after release.

Well, to be honest, GT6 was the one I was disappointed about and made me leave for PC for driving games, too. I for one wouldn't mind having a game similar to the GT series on PC, especially with decent VR like in the PCars series. So I'm open for that, but still cautious as we all know the marketing department of SMS is a bit off with it's claims, so I'm going to wait till the dust settles after release.
Well you already have Forza Motorsport 7 and Shift series games on PC for GT like games
And yes GT6 was not brilliant but was all for PDI fault cause the game itself was not bad but PDI left it unfinished (this is why i still play more GT5 than GT6)

go and try Group C around Long Beach in PC2. some of the best Sim Racing has to offer.

PC2 as far as content is concerned still is the best game out there,this isnt even a debate, its just that many many tiny things held it down or even made it annoying to play.

I agree with you - I mostly drive PC2 and AC but also have ACCC, Race room, GRID and Wreck Fest which I play for a laugh and a bit of bang em smash em.
They are all good and all have their pros and cons but some of my day/night races in PC2 have been the most memorable and enjoyable races of my time sim racing. I don't understand why everyone on this post bitches about PC2 - I think its a very good game, not perfect but very good.
If you havent tried them, do 1 hour races at Bathurst with x25 time progression as its stunning going through late afternoon to dusk to night and then sunup over the mountain. Bannochbrae or LeMans with the same time settings are also superb - if you race Bannochbrae in the Autumn you'll get mist rolling accross the road in the early morning - Ive never seen any other sim give such immersive content.
If you throw in some rain or weather events it gets even better - Brands hatch in the snow in the 4WD Mitsubishi Lancer is slidelicious - the angles you can get to and recover from are a hoot. You don't get any of that from any other sim.

Worth remembering that GTR 2 had an arcade mode.
Now I wonder who was behind that sim :whistling:
I was playing GTR2 1 & 1/2 year on a Xbox 360 pad in semi-pro mode, after my second wheel (MOMO Black) broke down back then and it was awesome. (I just say Tuning Cars Mod with reversed handbrake value to emulate a N20 boost, what an arcade game :D ) Even the so hArDcOrE rF2 still features the same functions to make it usable with this configuration... (Speed dependent steering, low steering aid, and sensitivity sliders and so on).

The problem is not about making a decent full-sim with working driving aids to give room for different control devices, than a wheel, we already have that. It's more about making it approachable for the user to utilize the needed functions in a better way. (Even there, some tried it, like the Race07 analogue sectors, for example)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 273 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing