• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

Project CARS 3 | Developer Blog: Design And Physics

dario993

25RPM
Jul 29, 2019
I guess if there's no pitstops, we can safely assume that there'll be no changeable weather? :speechless:

That's a turn-off, one of my favourite aspects of a sim was the wet/dry transition period. I enjoyed it immensley back in the days of Geoff Crammond games, and I continue to enjoy it thanks to ACC :thumbsup:
YES, dat feel when racing and starts to rain, and yo think change tire now or just one more lap, or will it stop? sometimes it stops and you gain some positions, or sometimes you risk then others passing you on wet like you driving twice slow than em. I liked that. Whats point of making all 100 laps race dry or wet, it just change car handling, you will be just slower whole race, no risking,, adrenaline etc as if you drive dry, then waet then dry again and must choose better strategy...
Or you just stop on grass klick ESC "enter pits" car teleport to pits to change tyre and then you again at start line with new tyres xD
pCars3 is not a sim anymore, we can argue if pCars2 was sim, arcade or simcade... it was just sim cause got all important features same as in real life, but now pCars3 is just arcade game.

Reactions: wroobel and Toonces

dario993

25RPM
Jul 29, 2019
Dynamic weather will be in the game but your tires will work on all weather. You still get weather effects on the handling. Got this from the official forums.

Yeah, I really do not like this change at all.
LOL so it seems like they think race cars racing on such thing as road cars on versatile tyres? xD thats not sim anymore
you cant have versatile tyres that will be fast both on dry and wet, but i think all it this thread know it ?
Or tyres in pcars3 will magically change, so they made new genre, fantasy racing simulator. we will have mages in pits who will change tyres in split seconds with they wands on still driving cars

Dave Thayer

250RPM
Premium
Mar 31, 2018
Yes I agree with everyone that this is now a SHIFT or GRID game but now with VR support. I dont understand why PC1 and PC2 are not also called a Driver in mind type game. The only hint of Project Cars feature I can relate to is having all the Various Cars and Tracks in PC3.

My only question now since there is definitely no pits, How many MAX LAPS can we do on the tracks?
Will it be only 10 laps? I hope not 2 or 3 laps? Be nice if there are more. I still want to know more on the race game play????? options.

Reactions: Sebastian Skinnari

Cheesenium

250RPM
Jul 15, 2011
Yeah this is pretty indefensible.

This project is a waste of Evolution's talent. Why they were put on this game to help SMS when they don't make sims is beyond me. Dirt 5 is a much better use of their particular skills.
waste of evolution talents? based on the article, most of the lead position is handled by ex-evolution staff who made the great Onrush that Codemaster didn’t even bother porting to PC.

the lead handling isn’t even a SMS staff, they gave it to the lead vehicle handling designer from Evolution who did Drive club, Onrush, Grid 2019 and now pcars 3.

Im pretty sure that gamepad controls should be great now. At expense of pits and a simplified tire model.

Last edited:

Paul Glover

RaceDepartment Social Media Manager & Podcast Host
Staff member
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
HAHA when I sent @Paul Jeffrey the link to the blog I knew it would go down well here.

I don't have a problem with arcade games, I only have a problem with them when they use the words sim which it quite clearly is not one.

Could type here arguing that point with regards to PCars1 + 2 but we have done that one to death.

This though should sell well, good luck to them.

Cheesenium

250RPM
Jul 15, 2011
LOL so it seems like they think race cars racing on such thing as road cars on versatile tyres? xD thats not sim anymore
you cant have versatile tyres that will be fast both on dry and wet, but i think all it this thread know it ?
Or tyres in pcars3 will magically change, so they made new genre, fantasy racing simulator. we will have mages in pits who will change tyres in split seconds with they wands on still driving cars
Nah. Now you get magic tires from Cybertron that will transform from slicks to wet tire in rain.

Where can I buy one?

Reactions: wroobel and MattGTX

dario993

25RPM
Jul 29, 2019
ill leave it here again what Bell said about EA

“We made a game called Need for Speed: Shift, we made a game called Shift 2 and EA came to me and said <<We’ll give you 1.5 million if you agree not to talk to any other publisher, to agree any other games or work on any other arrangement with any other publisher. And we’ll give you 1.5 million and we’ll sign Shift 3>>. So I said OK. That sounds like a good deal. I took the 1.5 million, I paid the guys, lots of bonuses, and two weeks before we were due to start Shift 3 it was canceled. With no warning. They said: “We are not doing that anymore”

“We were in trouble, we had nothing left. We were done. They literally destroyed our company. They tried to kill us, they tried to steal our technology as well. They tried to f*ck us over, there is no other way to put it. That’s what they tried to do. And we have no love for EA and this company.”

so now codemasters did the same, they bought promising studio that made two pretty good sims, and forced them to make basically they own GRID clone so SMS is now finished. codemasters bought them, methaphorically GRID just swallowed PCARS, by end of the year it will chew and spit it out

ShredatorFIN

500RPM
Aug 18, 2015
Why disable fuel consumption and tyre wear? Such a weird move.

And no it won't be full simulation, after that. Even if the handling is more realistic than pCars 2. A decision like that doesn't create much faith to believe they are aiming it to be a simulation.

Not that I had much faith anyway

Reactions: MattGTX

Vadara

10RPM
Sep 21, 2017
waste of evolution talents? based on the article, most of the lead position is handled by ex-evolution staff who made the great Onrush that Codemaster didn’t even bother porting to PC.

the lead handling isn’t even a SMS staff, they gave it to the lead vehicle handling designer from Evolution who did Drive club, Onrush, Grid 2019 and now pcars 3.

Im pretty sure that gamepad controls should be great now. At expense of pits and a simplified tire model.
That's what I meant. They're being put on a sim when they don't make them normally. Their expertise is in arcade games which they do very well.

Raging Beard

75RPM
Premium
Aug 20, 2017
Sounds good to me. We have several sims which do a good job simulating everything, PC3 sounds like it should be just pure good fun driving (in VR no less), can jump in and drive with no faff. Levels out more casual multiplayer too.

I don't get the whole uproar, we have numerous sims, so there's definitely room for something like this.

marcos1988

25RPM
Premium
Aug 21, 2018
If you can't fix it, dump it.. I already had left PC2 early because of the wonky physics (some cars work, others are ****). Had sort of "high" hopes for a sequel because of Codemasters budget but imo they really killed it now. Just integrate the content in F1 2020 and be over with it, hell even F1 2020 features fuel and tyre wear jesus...

PartyPePe

100RPM
Nov 21, 2016
If you check SMS's new physics guy David Kirk up, he has previously worked on arcade games like Onrush and DriveClub with Codemasters and Evolution Studios. Seems definitely that they are moving to a new direction.

MattGTX

25RPM
May 2, 2019
Why disable fuel consumption and tyre wear? Such a weird move.
Because they are changing in order to appeal to a bigger public that prefer arcade games. Not only they disabled fuel consumption and tyre wear but also pit stops and with that, changeable weather aswell (otherwise they would have to add tyres that in the touch of a button go from slicks to full wet)

Feb 26, 2013
Sounds good to me. We have several sims which do a good job simulating everything, PC3 sounds like it should be just pure good fun driving (in VR no less), can jump in and drive with no faff. Levels out more casual multiplayer too.

I don't get the whole uproar, we have numerous sims, so there's definitely room for something like this.
I completely understand why people are upset, but I will still do my part to make sure that this new game is the best it can possibly be.

That being said, Automobilista 2 exists, and is basically the pCars 3 people wanted. If anything, it's kind of cool that people have the option of either buying the hardcore sim or arcade variant based on their preferences. Kind of like Pokemon Red/Blue.

Rusty911

10RPM
Jan 3, 2020
I don’t understand all the fuss about pit stops, tyre wear and fuel consumption. Those things don’t come into play with 20 minute or shorter races (like the SRS races).

And you are still able to make your set-up. Something that 80% of all ‘simracers’ are not able to do properly (I am not talking about just setting your tire temps).

Simracers that are wining a few options have been removed and continue to call PC3 arcade. Hahahah!