• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

Project CARS 3 | Developer Blog: Design And Physics

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
May 21, 2013
Why remove tire wear and gaz consumption from the game? What is to be gained?
All SIM I know have the option to set tire wear and/or gaz consumption to off, leaving the choice to the player on how he wants to play his game on any particular day or circumstance. The SMS engine always supported those options, removing them makes no sense whatsoever to me.
Same applies to some extend to pit stop.
Have they gone (from slightly) completely mad?

Andrew_WOT

3000RPM
May 11, 2014
What I read in this massive block of text.

We've turned off tyre wear. Cos it's no fun. Oh and fuel useage. And because of that - amazingly we also managed to eliminate pitstops cos they're no fun.

I loved PC2, despite it's shortcomings, and have over 700 hours in it, and 100's more on console before I moved to 'Sim' and PC.

And this....

Well, I'm nervous for it. Gotta say.
1593195022118.png

Cheesenium

250RPM
Jul 15, 2011
Another Pcars pooping thread. Guess now I can join in the fray. Sigh.

I loved the Pcars 2 tire model. It can feel dynamic under numerous conditions but the main problem with Pcars is that their cars aren't tuned as well as the same car in another game. That is fine because you get a tonne of content out of the box compared to the competitors. On top of lots of vintage cars and unique cars, you rarely see elsewhere.

Now, they decided to can whatever that is good with the previous game and try to appeal the GT or Forza crowd. Good luck to SMS because I doubt they will touch Pcars 3 after 2 games with bad gamepad controls. Then, whoever who is left in the franchise who are fine with last games probably will move to AMS 2 or other games. Who will this game appeal to?

FYI, Kirk Pope, Nick Pope and Dave Krik are all from Evolution studios that were closed down by Sony. Then, they worked on a brand new IP called Onrush which they did not even port it to PC because it did so badly in sales. I think one of them was the lead handling designer for Driveclub, Onrush, Grid 2019 and now Pcars 3.

Some of the ex-staff who had lead roles such as Casey Ringley or Andy Tudor is no longer leading the development of Pcars 3. No wonder this game had such a major change in direction. Especially now WMD is no longer helping the development.

2020 really just can't get any worse. Really really really disappointed with Pcars 3.

omanrak

100RPM
Jan 17, 2018
We've turned off tyre wear. Cos it's no fun. Oh and fuel useage. And because of that - amazingly we also managed to eliminate pitstops cos they're no fun.
It was either that or having to rewrite their whole game engine from scratch, because of the bugs. I can't tell you how many races I had to end early, because of the pit-stop related bugs, unstable online infrastructure and crashes. I reported every single bug I ran into for a year and nothing was fixed, unfreaking believable.

• Wow
Reactions: PartyPePe

BorisK

50RPM
Dec 13, 2010
So now you don’t need to spend hours in a practice session working out the tyre life of a set of tyres for one car in one condition, and you don’t need to do the maths on how many litres of fuel you need to finish the race, and you won’t be punished for picking the wrong strategy and so on.
SMS, really?
This is one of the biggest parts that distinguishes the simulator from arcade games. Ok, let there be AI engineers who will offer these or those settings for the race, but to deprive the players themselves to configure the car, to remove them from the strategy, not to allow them to monitor the temperature of the brakes, tires, fuel consumption - this is NOT a SIMULATOR. It's stupid GRID-style "pokatushki" нахер никому не нужные.

Feb 26, 2013
I see both sides of the argument.

I don't really understand why we couldn't have retained at least a simplified version of tire wear, fuel consumption, and pit stops similar to what GT Sport or Forza do. I think people would have been more than happy with that.

That being said, at least in SRS races on Assetto Corsa, pit stops almost always descend into someone figuring out the meta in terms of the precise fuel and tire strategy, so they never really add anything to races other than what's essentially a mandatory obstacle course in the halfway point.

Matthew Allington

Wham!ming into the nearest solid object
Premium
Nov 20, 2015
I like a good arcade racer like SEGA Rally. I like a good sim racer like Kunos' finest. I don't get on so well with stuff that sits in the awkward middle ground, like the F1 games and the disastrous DiRT 4. I'll give this one a pass....

Cheesenium

250RPM
Jul 15, 2011
That being said, at least in SRS races on Assetto Corsa, pit stops almost always descend into someone figuring out the meta in terms of the precise fuel and tire strategy, so they never really add anything to races other than what's essentially a mandatory obstacle course in the halfway point.
Still, it does not mean that pit stops, tire change and fuel load should be taken from the game.

Heck, I don't even race multiplayer at all and I still use pits in both Pcars and other games. Partly is because a change in weather for games like pcars or to shuffle the grid to accelerate the multiclass racing so that there will be more different class passing each other in games like R3E that has mandatory pit stop. Heck, most of the time I play Pcars or any other game is with gamepad with often damage off. I am probably the most mainstream audience that is playing games like Pcars, I don't even know if I want to buy Pcars 3 now.

The other issue is Pcars 3 decided to have a fixed core temperature for the tires. SETA is a great tire model and I disagree with that change because that reduces the dynamic behaviour of the SETA model.

For someone who had been playing Pcars since the beginning, I sorry to say that I am disappointed with this decision. Pits experience in pcars still need work, removing it is not a solution.

Feb 26, 2013
Still, it does not mean that pit stops, tire change and fuel load should be taken from the game.

Heck, I don't even race multiplayer at all and I still use pits in both Pcars and other games. Partly is because a change in weather for games like pcars or to shuffle the grid to accelerate the multiclass racing so that there will be more different class passing each other in games like R3E. Heck, most of the time I play Pcars or any other game is with gamepad with often damage off. I am probably the most mainstream audience that is playing games like Pcars, I don't even know if I want to buy Pcars 3 now.

The other issue is Pcars 3 decided to have a fixed core temperature for the tires. SETA is a great tire model and I disagree with that change because that reduces the dynamic behaviour of the SETA model.
Well yeah, that's why I prefaced my comment with saying IDK why we couldn't have had at least a simplified, minimalist version.

Reactions: Cheesenium

Matthew Allington

Wham!ming into the nearest solid object
Premium
Nov 20, 2015
I guess if there's no pitstops, we can safely assume that there'll be no changeable weather? :speechless:

That's a turn-off, one of my favourite aspects of a sim was the wet/dry transition period. I enjoyed it immensley back in the days of Geoff Crammond games, and I continue to enjoy it thanks to ACC :thumbsup:

Kurupt CDN

DirtT Tuned Motorsports
Premium
Jul 18, 2012
Not sure what was written in this article as I stopped reading after no pit stops or fuel consumption as I realized this title won't be what I am looking for.

Shame as I've actually been enjoying PC2 of late after discovering Christian's custom ffb file.
I am probably in the minority here, but I found trying to find the optimal compound and psi setting for the set weather very simulating which is also part of the real life strategy.

Last edited:

Cheesenium

250RPM
Jul 15, 2011
I guess if there's no pitstops, we can safely assume that there'll be no changeable weather? :speechless:

That's a turn-off, one of my favourite aspects of a sim was the wet/dry transition period. I enjoyed it immensley back in the days of Geoff Crammond games, and I continue to enjoy it thanks to ACC :thumbsup:
Dynamic weather will be in the game but your tires will work on all weather. You still get weather effects on the handling. Got this from the official forums.

Yeah, I really do not like this change at all.