PC3 Project CARS 3 | Customisation To Feature Heavily In New Title

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
SMS have continued to tease nuggets of information about the upcoming PCARS 3 release, and the latest peek at the title suggests a heavy lean towards car customisation within the game.

Having revealed a little more information on social media, Slightly Mad Studios have recently confirmed both road and race car content within Project CARS 3 will benefit from the ability of the user to customise items such as performance parts, potentially following along the lines of such games as the Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport style franchises.

These should allow players an interesting opportunity to add another aspect of gameplay to their racing experience - and one I'm curious to find out how it pans out when the game is released later this year.

On the topic of customisation, Slightly Mad Studios have also confirmed the new title will not feature in-game micro transactions. When looking to update your car, the player will have to rely on credits earned for performances within the title, rather than adding real world money in exchange for performance parts - which is good news indeed!

Original Source: SMS Facebook

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Want to discuss this new game with fellow sim racing fans? No worries, head over to the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread!

PCARS 3.jpg

Last edited:
You know I'm okay with this. PC1 and 2 promised a sim game and it sits well behind the current sims rF2, AM2, R3E, ACC, AC and iRacing. So since I don't believe they think they can live in that world, they have gone the GT and Forza route. I hope it's better (sound is horrific in PC2) than GT or Forza. I used to enjoy taking a VW GTi and turning it into a proper saloon or touring car racer. I think they've realized that for now, this is their niche. I hope it is good.

Just putting it out there Forza has been a PC game for a while(Horizon too), you just have to step into the Windows store!!!!

the issue is Forza Motorsport 7 is a terrible game, very badly optimized and has very bad design choices, like the stupid cards and homologation and no qualifying and short boring races with terrible ai and the list just goes on and on.
people want a sim like game other then Forza Motorsport that you can put performance parts and change the appearance of the car and Project Cars 3 will fill in that gap and sell very well imo.

@shimon.ifraimov Forza 7 unoptimized ? There are videos on YT where it runs on a 60€ Cpu and a 1060 in 4K with 60fps... In Horizon 4 the engine is even more optimized... The best performing and looking games on my pc... You can also adjust the race lenght to your liking... The homologation was needed to have a better multiplayer experience and for me it worked... Everything better balanced...

@shimon.ifraimov Forza 7 unoptimized ? There are videos on YT where it runs on a 60€ Cpu and a 1060 in 4K with 60fps... In Horizon 4 the engine is even more optimized... The best performing and looking games on my pc... You can also adjust the race lenght to your liking... The homologation was needed to have a better multiplayer experience and for me it worked... Everything better balanced...

unlike horizon 4 which runs amazing for me i get 120+ fps on high settings and never had a single crash or stutter. but forza 7 and horizon 3 i had the same issues of stutter, low fps, hitching, constent crashes, slow loading of cars in garage and customization parts and in general very slow loading.

about homologation it just made upgrading your car completely pointless, but i guess we can agree to disagree.

SMS, after all these years trying, they have given up trying to make their game sim and gone to what is safe for them - the Gran Turismo/Forza arcade route

Whilst the most ardent PC fans will be disappointed, it wouldn't matter for Mr Bell since all he cares about is how much money he can make from videogaming

SMS, after all these years trying, they have given up trying to make their game sim and gone to what is safe for them - the Gran Turismo/Forza arcade route

Whilst the most ardent PC fans will be disappointed, it wouldn't matter for Mr Bell since all he cares about is how much money he can make from videogaming

I expect,
Tire management, 4h - 6h - 24h race with active weather management including AI.
Day - after cycles, real sun positions, boxing work as with GP4,
Different boxing strategies, AI who also drives carefully at the beginning of the training and has increased aggression and AI factor in qual-laps etc.

Open Wheeler Cars Historic --> 2006
Formula Vee --> F3 modern und F1 till 2006 or so.
Historic Open Wheelers 50s-80s
GT-Cars and Touring Cars from 1950 till today
Prototypes - more Historic than modern

(All AMS2 Cars :) )

Damage Model based on ISI or better !

With dynamic Tyre Blowouts, less tire pressure a little, more than 1 lap will be possible without problems, harder loss, better in Box.
Full Blowout - like in GTR2 - Problem to drive, but Lap in Box is possible !

So everything from GTR2, with current graphics, current 5.1 sound, and significantly revised physics such as rF2 or IRacing (about FFB i wont talk, because there are ca. 10 Mio. different opinions :)).
And many other things
then the software is worth buying (by me).
We have 2020 and no longer 2006-2009 so I can expect that!
so I will probably spend my life with the "old stuff".

Commercial makes more money with arcade stuff, and that's what matters.

I expect,
Tire management, 4h - 6h - 24h race with active weather management including AI.
Day - after cycles, real sun positions, boxing work as with GP4,
Different boxing strategies, AI who also drives carefully at the beginning of the training and has increased aggression and AI factor in qual-laps etc.

Open Wheeler Cars Historic --> 2006
Formula Vee --> F3 modern und F1 till 2006 or so.
Historic Open Wheelers 50s-80s
GT-Cars and Touring Cars from 1950 till today
Prototypes - more Historic than modern

(All AMS2 Cars :) )

Damage Model based on ISI or better !

With dynamic Tyre Blowouts, less tire pressure a little, more than 1 lap will be possible without problems, harder loss, better in Box.
Full Blowout - like in GTR2 - Problem to drive, but Lap in Box is possible !

So everything from GTR2, with current graphics, current 5.1 sound, and significantly revised physics such as rF2 or IRacing (about FFB i wont talk, because there are ca. 10 Mio. different opinions :)).
And many other things
then the software is worth buying (by me).
We have 2020 and no longer 2006-2009 so I can expect that!
so I will probably spend my life with the "old stuff".

Commercial makes more money with arcade stuff, and that's what matters.
First half: yeah, like a rF1 mod, where you get different looking cars with same physic models and all these historic cars to get the Drivetripe/Donut Media crowds bonering over - and don't forget they need to make it arcadey to appease these kids who complain it's too hard

As with the quirks and cool features, I'd say dream on - have fun realising that you have been fleeced out of your pocket - SMS gave up trying to appease the sim crowds and left it all to Reiza

So it really is more of a Shift 3 rather than PCars 3...I can dig it. Shift's issues were related to the compromised physics, general bugginess and AI issues. From some of the no assists videos I can assume the physics are at least on par with PC2. The rest we'll have to wait for launch.

There is definitely room for a title like this. At least its not "yet another GT3 snoozefest" sim with f***-all else to do but generic race weekends.
Oh my GOAD....how dare you say such things in HERE? Did you wear your WRC8 armor first? I suggest you do! The HATE monster is gonna get you now!

And will look very outdated very soon when new consoles are released ^^

Tbh i don´t care much. I just like up to date tech very much :p
Then I think I'm totally Reiza's target consumer because, with all due respect, I couldn't care less about it looking outdated in comparision to new tech. I still play and fully enjoy games like GTR2 or even rFactor with Enduracers or DRM mod.

Yes, they look so outdated. But they offer me a experience that other games don't.

If PC3 is fun, and believable then isn't that job done?

If the aim is not to have realistic physics, then it's not a sim, it should be called a game and they should at least be honest about it. Marketing a product for something that it isn't is just as annoying to me. I'm mostly fine with Codemasters F1 titles because they rarely make the claim they are offering a sim experience, but when you both want to claim you are simulating, but not really doing it under the hood, the customer has been deceived. Doesn't matter if the average person can tell a difference or not. It's a bit like Apple deciding to put a worse chip in the iPhone and making the claim it doesn't matter because 99% of consumers won't be able to tell it's slower.

If the aim is not to have realistic physics, then it's not a sim, it should be called a game and they should at least be honest about it. Marketing a product for something that it isn't is just as annoying to me. I'm mostly fine with Codemasters F1 titles because they rarely make the claim they are offering a sim experience, but when you both want to claim you are simulating, but not really doing it under the hood, the customer has been deceived. Doesn't matter if the average person can tell a difference or not. It's a bit like Apple deciding to put a worse chip in the iPhone and making the claim it doesn't matter because 99% of consumers won't be able to tell it's slower.

But who says it's unrealistic physics? There isn't sufficient data to draw any accurate conclusion as yet. Also, your point about Apple chips goes directly to my point, it's all about perception.
Too many times I've read how it's easier to make a sim and then dumb it down to make it playable for paying customers.
I expect that's what's happening here, marketing will kick in and manage our expectations.

Tell me it's a sim, and this car you're driving is accurate and I'll believe you. How can I say you are wrong? It just has to be believable.

We had this all over Motogp20, everyone HAS to use 'pro' physics, but at the same time complaining about how they can't manage the physics and wanted it dumbed down. Just refused to use 'assisted ' physics.
If Milestone had swapped the names, everyone would have been happy.

It's all about perception.

Then I think I'm totally Reiza's target consumer because, with all due respect, I couldn't care less about it looking outdated in comparision to new tech. I still play and fully enjoy games like GTR2 or even rFactor with Enduracers or DRM mod.

Yes, they look so outdated. But they offer me a experience that other games don't.

It is true ???

And i think i was the "last unicorn" drive and edit and mod rF1 (o.k. the GTR2 Community is activ 2020 - right - i think).
In my opinion rF1 have the advantage (Vorteil - hope correct translate by "self brain") of RFE plugin vs. GSC - AMS, till today dont find a community, edit RFE plugin for AMS)

And o.k. its look outdated, logical and for my extrem vintage hardware full o.k. .
I like to hear that from you thank you.

SMS or codemasters , no info which owner make PC3 - dont interest to info about this.
For this guys - they read for sure a lot here in racedepartment to spend money for
margeting surveys + customer surveys .
I say, The promisses for PC1 never hold till today and dont interest to patch or update this software.
PC2 was on the right way - i think as "passive Racer".
And now, try to make quickly sales, its a shame - and i hope the worst.
No great inovation steps since 2006.

And also respect and long life for Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix Series !
And Papyrus of course
(And hope Reiza is gone a way for the Fans from rF1 --> AMS to AMS2)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 319 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 448 39.2%