PC3 Project CARS 3 | Customisation To Feature Heavily In New Title

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
SMS have continued to tease nuggets of information about the upcoming PCARS 3 release, and the latest peek at the title suggests a heavy lean towards car customisation within the game.

Having revealed a little more information on social media, Slightly Mad Studios have recently confirmed both road and race car content within Project CARS 3 will benefit from the ability of the user to customise items such as performance parts, potentially following along the lines of such games as the Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport style franchises.

These should allow players an interesting opportunity to add another aspect of gameplay to their racing experience - and one I'm curious to find out how it pans out when the game is released later this year.

On the topic of customisation, Slightly Mad Studios have also confirmed the new title will not feature in-game micro transactions. When looking to update your car, the player will have to rely on credits earned for performances within the title, rather than adding real world money in exchange for performance parts - which is good news indeed!

Original Source: SMS Facebook

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Want to discuss this new game with fellow sim racing fans? No worries, head over to the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread!

PCARS 3.jpg

Last edited:
We should be asking the bigger questions
Why it's okay to call engines realistic when the same car in each feels different

This is why we lose so many drivers to lesser titles and consoles
It can't have anything to do with content or graphics or UI's

It is no consistency ;)

There's a very definite limit to how much of a real simulator anybody can make.
FFB via your wheel is NEVER going to make a simulator.
Given that 99% of us have never even touched a race car means we don't even know what a sim really should feel like!

So I looked at where I actually spend my time: Assetto Corsa 1110 hours, PC2 733 hours and Ride 3 659 hours.

So yes, bring it on. I'll buy PC3 and probably thoroughly enjoy it!

A simulator is something that attempts to simulate real life, not exactly replicate (or emulate) real life, so there isn't really any definite limit. You can theoretically make a car behave 99.999% the same as in real life in a simulator, it's just a matter of having enough computation power available to calculate all possible aspects of physics. You can also make FFB act 99% the same as on a real wheel, there is no reason why it's not possible. Just 20 years ago all we had was toy wheels, now people have wheels with direct drive engines in their living rooms.

The fact that you don't have G forces just means that sims don't simulate that particular aspect, but then again, you wouldn't want 5G on your neck either, you could argue one point of simulators is that we can avoid certain physical limitations of real racing.

With the recent trend of people wanting a more sim-like experience, especially now during COVID-19 times where sim racing has replaced real racing, I do wonder if they are going in the right direction with this title.

Gran Turismo Sport is no AMS2, rFactor2, ACC etc. but it sells shedload's and plenty of folks get fun out of playing it on the PS4. It only seems to be hardcore sim racers who take offence.

Just because a racing game isn't a high end sim doesn't always make it bad. If these type of games aren't for you, then don't buy or play them. Just don't see the point coming on a forum making wise ass remarks about a game you have no interest in whatsoever.

DiRT: 5 wll be the same. It won't be a sim, but will likely sell well with the folks who liked playing the old DiRT: 2 back in the day.

Gran Turismo Sport is no AMS2, rFactor2, ACC etc. but it sells shedload's and plenty of folks get fun out of playing it on the PS4. It only seems to be hardcore sim racers who take offence.

Just because a racing game isn't a high end sim doesn't always make it bad. If these type of games aren't for you, then don't buy or play them. Just don't see the point coming on a forum making wise ass remarks about a game you have no interest in whatsoever.

DiRT: 5 wll be the same. It won't be a sim, but will likely sell well with the folks who liked playing the old DiRT: 2 back in the day.

If they made any Granturismo series for the PC, I'd buy it. That was my gateway game. It was also the game that introduced me to Autobacs (Super GT). And coincidentally made me a fan of endurance racing.

I'd really like to see an IMSA or Super GT game made just like how ACC is. Just one series with high quality physics and good looks.

People complain about PC2 not being a great sim (which is valid) but then also complain when SMS switches gears to focus on a more well-rounded game, with less sim value. You cannot have your cake and eat it too, and if SMS was so disappointing to you with PC2, then don't bother whining and moaning about PC3, it was not made for people who wrote off SMS and PC as a sim. Also, the GT3/GT4 line is very intriguing, I must say.

A simulator is something that attempts to simulate real life, not exactly replicate (or emulate) real life, so there isn't really any definite limit. You can theoretically make a car behave 99.999% the same as in real life in a simulator, it's just a matter of having enough computation power available to calculate all possible aspects of physics. You can also make FFB act 99% the same as on a real wheel, there is no reason why it's not possible. Just 20 years ago all we had was toy wheels, now people have wheels with direct drive engines in their living rooms.

The fact that you don't have G forces just means that sims don't simulate that particular aspect, but then again, you wouldn't want 5G on your neck either, you could argue one point of simulators is that we can avoid certain physical limitations of real racing.

With the recent trend of people wanting a more sim-like experience, especially now during COVID-19 times where sim racing has replaced real racing, I do wonder if they are going in the right direction with this title.

Couldn't disagree more, with all due respect.
I drive a real life car, had many cars. Many fast cars, I'm 52...
There isn't a sim I've played that's come anywhere close to replicating the entire experience of driving a car.
SIM racing and real life racing are two different beasts.
I imagine some of the cars in some of the games have some of the ffb accurately implemented.
I guess I am struggling to accept the argument that games must have 'REAL' physics. Especially when you don't even know what that experience should be.

If PC3 is fun, and believable then isn't that job done?

I do think they'll rake in the sales with this path(although i'm not a fan), at this point it's still questionable how many of the people who watched the streams actually picked up simracing... GT/Forza still dwarf anything in the sim world in popularity.

Looks like my dream of a Shift 2 with better physics will be come true :cool: And camber settings that uses real world values instead of 0-50 :D

More focussed on the young ones I guess

Why ? Because not as "dust dry" as a normal sim ? Or because fun is only allowed when you are young ? ^^

Just imagine if Reiza hadn't get the Madness Engine before Codemasters gets SMS. And they had got, idk, Unreal instead.

Then they had a future proof engine that gets free updates, gets developed further by the Epic devs... Now they are stuck with stone old DX11 from 2008... :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
Seems to be more like a Forza game than what is was....wait and see I guess.

Years ago Ian Bell said Shift 3 will be a spiritual successor to Shift 2 and thats what it will be as we can see. At least thats what it looks like to me.

Also very interesting:

"Race hard to earn credits in-game and spend them wisely on the cars of your dreams. Race and road cars, supercars and hypercars, street-racing kings and highly-tuned sleepers, they’re all yours to own in Project CARS 3. But you’ll need to race and be consistent to earn big and spend big. Just remember—only your skill in-game and on-track will determine how much credit you have to spend. No microtransactions.

The world’s most elite-brands and cars return to Project CARS 3 along with new brands and an even larger and more exciting mix of classic, new, and never-before seen race and road machinery. Combine them with the beauty and challenge of global, fully-licensed and inch-perfect tracks and over a dozen new street and road circuits to evoke the true essence of motor racing at speed in Project CARS 3.

What you asked for is here with new and fun MP modes along with an enhanced skill-based matchmaking set that will match you seamlessly against players of similar skill levels. New modes include Quick Race and Scheduled Races to challenge you daily like never before. Set-up by SMS, just register for your chosen race, qualify, get matched against the ideal opponents, and enjoy pure racing action

Heighten the intensity of every moment through deeply immersive VR on PC in Project CARS 3.

All 4-seasons, all-weather racing is back with LiveTrack and now more gorgeous than ever in Project CARS 3. Snow at the ’Ring in winter? Rain in the spring on the streets of Shanghai? Summer storm at Interlagos? It’s all here in Project CARS 3, with every condition realistically affecting grip and handling, just the way you like it.

Feel the visceral sense of what racing at speed is all about. Motion blur, HUD/camera shake, and more will bring you as close to the adrenaline of real racing as you’ve ever been. It’s there if you want it or, if you want a more raw experience, just turn them off. This is your journey.

ABS, Stability, and Traction Control are now much more effective and far better aligned with how they operate out in the real-world to give suitable assists for every level of driver. Their settings allow everyone—from veteran sim-racers to rookies—the ability to fine-tune handling to their individual needs to create the exact type of authentic feel they’re after.

Intuitive, progressive, authentic, with heroic over-the-limit handling. Gamepad has now hit the sweet spot and rebuilt from the ground up for an unrivalled experience. Wheel-feel features even more detailed Force Feedback. All the authentic handling you expect from Project CARS with accessibility for drivers of every skill level added in—this is Project CARS 3."

Source: https://www.bsimracing.com/project-cars-3-some-more-info-in-game-screenshots/

Last edited:
Then they had a future proof engine that gets free updates, gets developed further by the Epic devs... Now they are stuck with stone old DX11 from 2008... :thumbsdown:
... that runs and looks amazing IMHO. Default graphic settings, didn't touch anything and looks fantastic.
And we're talking Reiza. I'm sure everyones tired of hearing it at this point but it's obvious: look what they did to gMotor.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back