PC3 Project CARS 3 | Customisation To Feature Heavily In New Title

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
SMS have continued to tease nuggets of information about the upcoming PCARS 3 release, and the latest peek at the title suggests a heavy lean towards car customisation within the game.

Having revealed a little more information on social media, Slightly Mad Studios have recently confirmed both road and race car content within Project CARS 3 will benefit from the ability of the user to customise items such as performance parts, potentially following along the lines of such games as the Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport style franchises.

These should allow players an interesting opportunity to add another aspect of gameplay to their racing experience - and one I'm curious to find out how it pans out when the game is released later this year.

On the topic of customisation, Slightly Mad Studios have also confirmed the new title will not feature in-game micro transactions. When looking to update your car, the player will have to rely on credits earned for performances within the title, rather than adding real world money in exchange for performance parts - which is good news indeed!

Original Source: SMS Facebook

Project CARS 3 will release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC this summer.

Want to discuss this new game with fellow sim racing fans? No worries, head over to the Project CARS 3 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start up a new thread!

PCARS 3.jpg

Last edited:
So it really is more of a Shift 3 rather than PCars 3...I can dig it. Shift's issues were related to the compromised physics, general bugginess and AI issues. From some of the no assists videos I can assume the physics are at least on par with PC2. The rest we'll have to wait for launch.

There is definitely room for a title like this. At least its not "yet another GT3 snoozefest" sim with f***-all else to do but generic race weekends.

genuinely interested to know why you think putting performance parts on car to make it go faster is not appealing.
Well for one I have yet to see any ability for a sim to replicate a racing car accurately. I have yet to read, hear any credible expert say 'It's like driving the real thing' So to start by earning points to buy performance parts seems a bit silly.
I guess I'm past the point of customizing liveries, adding big wings or putting a supercharger on a V-12.

genuinely interested to know why you think putting performance parts on car to make it go faster is not appealing.
Could be something in between sims and Forza/Gran Turismo, not my cup of tea, but nothing too bad. As long as they don't try to sell it as the "sim to end all sims" again there's no problem imo.

Thanks for the update and I am open minded about the game, but still need to understand the types gameplay in this PC3. Yes I understand you can turn off all assists, but If there are no pits, do we only go 10 laps max like a GRID game (offline or online)? Is there a practice, qualify, and then race type of mode, guess this falls under career? Too many unknowns yet for me. I still like the VR being incorporated.

Hope this game doesn't have some kind of an unlock feature that you have earn points to unlock new cars or tracks.

Also interested in are there many different tracks are in PC3 compared to PC2. If it is only 1 or 2 tracks that are new, what is the point to jumping to PC3 if we have the same tracks in PC2.

I could care less about the customizing of cars, buying parts, etc. I just select a car, track, and then race.

Note: I like the Grid 1 and 2 and Shift 1 and 2 games and with PC3 looks like we will kind of get the same thing with addition of true VR support now.

Last edited:
If you want a pick up and fun race game that doesn't take itself too seriously then this is it, if you want hardcore simulation then there's other sims for that.
There's a place for this type of Racing game amongst everything else, but it's not my cup of tea though and with their track record I'd rather pass on it thanks.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 144 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 397 40.0%