PC2 Project CARS 2 Released on Xbox One, PS4 and PC

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2.jpg

Highly anticipated racing simulation Project CARS 2 has been released today, marking the return of the best selling franchise to both console and PC systems.

Developed by Slightly Mad Studios and community backers from the world of sim racing, using the experience of professional race drivers the likes of former Top Gear Stig Ben Collins and sometime Renault Clio racer Nicolas Hamilton, Project CARS 2 looks set to be the most ambitious racing project yet from the British based development team.

Featuring over 180 cars and 60 locations on launch and benefitting from live track technology, advanced weather effects and class leading graphics, Project CARS 2 looks very likely to become yet another best selling release across all platforms following release today.

Unfortunately we have not been able to get access to an advanced copy of the game prior to launch, however in constant quest to bring you all the news and opinion from sim racing (haha, well actually because I cant resist a racing game) I will be purchasing testing this thing thoroughly tonight, with a view to writing up an article over the weekend with my first impressions.

About the Game
  • 180+ licensed cars from iconic manufacturers
  • Full 12K & VR Support
  • Tested and tuned by pro racing drivers
  • All-new motorsports (IndyCar, Oval Racing, Rallycross) join old favorites incl. GT3
  • LiveTrack 3.0: Dynamic surface & weather physics affect vehicle performance and handling in real-time
  • New loose surface racing (ice, dirt, mud)
  • Full 24-hour cycle featuring real-time atmospheric conditions and seasonal ambience
  • State-of-the art physics model
  • Revamped gamepad handling
  • Class-leading Esport capabilities

Project CARS 2 is available now for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community, download some mods and get yourself out on the track in online races for both PC and console.

Well it's here! What do you think? Win, Lose or Draw? Improvement over PC1? Serious rival for the main PC racers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
BenCollins is posting a hell of a lot about how much he hates the game. That seems to be a running theme with any Pcars 2 thread though, a few very vocal people saying it’s awful. Personally I’m having fun with it, it runs beautifully on my mediocre core i5 with thx 970 in vr (rift). Still dialling in the FFB but overall handling is decent. The dynamic world the game creates makes AC and iracing seem so static in comparison, and while RF2 is dynamic it never did a great job of immersing the player. PCars 2 puts effort into things most modern sims have forgotten to bother with, things that were part of older games like GTR2, GPL, F1GP, etc.

Better than PC1 yes but that wouldnt be hard.

Im comparing it to the other top sims on pc right now.
FFB is pretty poor for me out of the box G27 [compared to AMS and AC etc],this could need some tweaking my end im not sure?
Physics are okay i suppose but still not up to AMS or AC.
Loads of content but im not sure how accurate the tracks are, comparing the few i tried to the lazer scanned AC tracks they seem a bit off in parts.
Tire screech sounds are just silly and nothing like what you would expect, same for crash sounds at times.
Performance is great for me GTX970,UI is really nice.
AI are very poor which is a shame as AI are essential for me as i 99% of the time race offline.

For me atleast its a very mixed bag, some aspects of the game are mediocre and some are poor, nothing stands out for me in this package that i would rate top class compared to other sims we enjoy.

The more i play this game the more i'm surprised.
I was upset by Pcars 1, i am upset by the graphics in Pcars 2. They look very grainy in 4K.
It seems that they are not made for 4K but...

But for the rest, it's another song.
Some people said it's not a simulation. I disagree, Pcars 1 was not a simulation but Pcars 2 is. This is the only one which simulates break engine.
In all other supposed to be simulations there is almost no break engine. When you release the throttle, nothing happens, it's a joke. Assetto, IRacing are supposed to be the top of the line simulation and they don't reproduce the break engine correctly. Just lol.
You can check the onboard videos on youtube because when you release the throttle in a 3l race car you have a huge break which occurs.
I remember begging about that on the forum for Pcars 1, it is now in Pcars 2 and a lot more.

Last edited:
WTF

I'd imagine it's getting criticised by those who paid out a lot of money for the sh*t show that was Project Cars 1 (me included). PC2 sounds a bit better, but no.....it doesn't sound like it has improved enough. We all know it looked fantastic, but it drove like a turd

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

...and in the same week that Assetto Corsa launched the amazing Ferrari DLC. SMS can go f... themselves.

How is your dog doing? Fully healed yet?

Would be nice to have here Ian Bell (for what it's worth) to talk about what is missing in the core physics engine of PCARS2, to nail the level of simulation of the other sims such as AC or rFactor2, to name a few.

Mate, what are you implying is missing from the core physics engine of Pcars 2?

Dont you know that Pcars 2 is a more advanced simulation than even the multi-million dollar Mercedes F1 simulator? :O_o: :thumbsup:

A good addtion if you feel like driving something but not in super serious mod.
PC2 reminds me of the first time I played NFS Shift 1 with old momo racing.

It was really fun at that time, but I never thought it was anything like ^sim^.
It was good as a solid game, and so as the Project Cars 2.
The car's behavior looks better than previous title, but the FFB feeling is just PC1 after all.

Is it better than AC ? no
Is it better than iracing ? no
Is it better than AMS ? no
is it better than R3E ? no
Is it better than something ? yes: PC1 ;)
Couldn't Agree more.

• State-of-the art physics model
Seriously? Issac Newton would feel guilty then.

Haven't bought the game, probably won't, and honestly haven't been impressed with what I've seen or heard. For those of you who feel they get their money's worth out of it, all the better for you. Meanwhile, I'm reading this thread and I'm like...

ubT4Jy.gif

Well, just had a chance to give PC2 a go for a while...and I'm actually impressed. It's a noticeable improvement over the last game, and I wasn't a great fan of PC1. The FFB feels pretty good and definitely better than PC1, even with Jack Spade files - I just refreshed my memory a few days earlier to make sure I remember it correctly.

I'd need more time to form some usable opinion, but the first impression is surprisingly good.

All my testing done in VR only. 90 mins.

I'm so disappointed by this game.. I am actually a fan of PC1.. probably as i picked it up cheap and didn't have any great expectations.. But I enjoyed playing it a lot.. taking it for what it was...
Project Cars 2 however I did have expectations.. I expected for $90 for the deluxe version it would be better than PC1 and at least a couple of the other sims available.. not even close.. i would call this game PCars 1.25 at best..

SMS talk about track accuracy etc and this game still has the most abysmal version of Bathurst I've seen.. not even close to real life.. and what is with Classic Spa? Dear god am I playing a PS2 here?

For me there is not enough difference between playing this and PC1 to justify the spend. All it did was make me want to go back to playing RF2 and AC!

Refunded.. as always YMMV!

Is it better than AC ? graphic and weather
Is it better than iracing ? yes
Is it better than AMS ? yes
is it better than R3E ? yes
Is it better than something ? yes: PC1
is it better than GTS ? dunno
is it better than Forza7 ? dunno
is it better than GTR3 ? dunno
is it better than The Crew 2 ? Hell no

..............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's been a little hit and miss with some cars, lack of traction even with "Authentic" aids (ex. Corvette Z06) - I've driven a Ferrari 458 Italia IRL which was pretty stable when pushed, nothing like a couple of these super-cars. I think some tweaking by SMS is needed. But, if anyone want a good immersive combo (haven't tried with AI, just hot lapping) ...
Audi Quattro IMSA GTO or 1977 Porsche 935 GR.5 at Long Beach at dusk/clear weather with 5x to 10x time progression - beautiful! And the sounds! Running triples, TX wheel, TH8A shifter.

Is it better than AC ? graphic and weather
Is it better than iracing ? yes
Is it better than AMS ? yes
is it better than R3E ? yes
Is it better than something ? yes: PC1
is it better than GTS ? dunno
is it better than Forza7 ? dunno
is it better than GTR3 ? dunno
is it better than The Crew 2 ? Hell no

..............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Project CARS 3 better have bikes and boats!

My only major issue with the AI is that when start a race , I often get rear ended and spun sideways. Don't understand why the AI gets off to lightning starts but more importantly if my starts are so slow, then they should just go around me instead of rear ending me.

To that degree, I have always wondered why it works out that all of the rolling starts have you at the redline of your selected gear. The race goes green and you need to shift perfectly in sync to stay competitive.

WTF

I'd imagine it's getting criticised by those who paid out a lot of money for the sh*t show that was Project Cars 1 (me included). PC2 sounds a bit better, but no.....it doesn't sound like it has improved enough. We all know it looked fantastic, but it drove like a turd

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

...and in the same week that Assetto Corsa launched the amazing Ferrari DLC. SMS can go f... themselves.
Wow...having a bad day there mate. Relax, it's only a piece of software. That's the beauty with freedom of choice. You don't have to buy it. I'm sure Ian Bell won't miss your 60 bux.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back