PC2 Project CARS 2 Released on Xbox One, PS4 and PC

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2.jpg

Highly anticipated racing simulation Project CARS 2 has been released today, marking the return of the best selling franchise to both console and PC systems.

Developed by Slightly Mad Studios and community backers from the world of sim racing, using the experience of professional race drivers the likes of former Top Gear Stig Ben Collins and sometime Renault Clio racer Nicolas Hamilton, Project CARS 2 looks set to be the most ambitious racing project yet from the British based development team.

Featuring over 180 cars and 60 locations on launch and benefitting from live track technology, advanced weather effects and class leading graphics, Project CARS 2 looks very likely to become yet another best selling release across all platforms following release today.

Unfortunately we have not been able to get access to an advanced copy of the game prior to launch, however in constant quest to bring you all the news and opinion from sim racing (haha, well actually because I cant resist a racing game) I will be purchasing testing this thing thoroughly tonight, with a view to writing up an article over the weekend with my first impressions.

About the Game
  • 180+ licensed cars from iconic manufacturers
  • Full 12K & VR Support
  • Tested and tuned by pro racing drivers
  • All-new motorsports (IndyCar, Oval Racing, Rallycross) join old favorites incl. GT3
  • LiveTrack 3.0: Dynamic surface & weather physics affect vehicle performance and handling in real-time
  • New loose surface racing (ice, dirt, mud)
  • Full 24-hour cycle featuring real-time atmospheric conditions and seasonal ambience
  • State-of-the art physics model
  • Revamped gamepad handling
  • Class-leading Esport capabilities

Project CARS 2 is available now for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community, download some mods and get yourself out on the track in online races for both PC and console.

Well it's here! What do you think? Win, Lose or Draw? Improvement over PC1? Serious rival for the main PC racers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
From what I've read from Ian Bell's posts, it's just pure disrespect to customers. He assumes we are all schoolboys who should be grateful for his racing sim, but he was so off the mark it was laughable. Most sim racers are aged 30+ these days and don't tolerate his bullshit. I'm 41 and I do my best to protect young people from buying rubbish sims. Ian's attitude was disgusting and so at odds from the teams at Kunos and Reiza.

When I was 20, I had Dave Kaemmer (GPL, now iRacing) and Geoff Crammond (GP1,2,3,4) as developers, two guys who loved motor racing and still do. They weren't cynical salesmen, "unit-shifters", they were just like me, pc racers. Ian Bell is a unit-shifter.

And that's it. There's heart in GPL, Grand Prix 4, Automobilista and Assetto Corsa, even Dirt Rally. There's no heart in Project CARS 1 or 2, and it shows.

"Haters", when did this meaningless phrase begin? You know what I hate more than "haters", people who promote things far more than is deserved. Your posts sound like adverts for the sim, rather than your actual opinion.
"Haters" comes from the sports world, I can't take credit for it, and I won't accept blame for it. But when someone says it (in America at least) everyone knows what you're implying.

And my quote "and the truth is probably somewhere in between." sounds like an ad line to you? Essentially I say "some will love it, some will hate it". I don't think that's a box-worthy sales quote. And how about the irony that you share your name with AN ACTUAL SHILL for the company.

If you're doubtful about this game, wait till it goes to $30, then its a very good deal with a lot of content.

Also @Will Mazeo got it right, RRRE has more licensed series. I stupidly overlooked that, even though you have to buy them mostly separately. I guess I was just excited that IndyCar finally gets a licensed game and PWC is one of my favorite series.

• Deleted member 99238

Russian simracers say that the game is very raw, multiplayer again buggy. Conclusion - this final release requires patch.

"Haters" comes from the sports world, I can't take credit for it, and I won't accept blame for it. But when someone says it (in America at least) everyone knows what you're implying.

And my quote "and the truth is probably somewhere in between." sounds like an ad line to you? Essentially I say "some will love it, some will hate it". I don't think that's a box-worthy sales quote. And how about the irony that you share your name with AN ACTUAL SHILL for the company.

If you're doubtful about this game, wait till it goes to $30, then its a very good deal with a lot of content.

Also @Will Mazeo got it right, RRRE has more licensed series. I stupidly overlooked that, even though you have to buy them mostly separately. I guess I was just excited that IndyCar finally gets a licensed game and PWC is one of my favorite series.
No, "haters" is just a disparaging term for anyone who dares to criticise. It's an insult.

"Some will love it, some will hate it", what new information is that to anyone? Nonsense, **** talk.

massive bug cars 2 :(
but better ffb than the first (it's not rf2 or ir but good) physics...not bad but...not really good :whistling: good sound and very very top immersion!! (the night in SPA with rain!! :thumbsup: )
AI is sometimes good and sometimes very weak!

PC2 need a lot of patch!!

So, I have to say. Pleasantly surprised in the progress.

AI-better, although turn 1 in a fair number of tracks is a total mess (hopefully that gets fixed)
FFB-miles better. Pcars1 FFB made me rage quit within a week. Terrible. It's still not at the level of AC or AMS for me, but its getting there
VR - hmmm...won't say yet. My Rift is unplayable at any resolution right now. I think the aliasing isn't working or something is bugged. Hopefully this gets sorted
Graphics - Yeah, always a strong point.
Car/Track selection - Honestly, some of the best if not THE best combination of race cars/tracks i've seen
Sound - eehhhhh....improved, but still some work to do here. Very car specific. Some cars good, others sound like a gran turismo vacuum cleaner

Good overall work though. This title has come a long ways.

But I see myself sticking with AC and iRacing honestly.

Did a few hours and spend some time fiddling with FFB and videosettings with my new triple screen setup. And I do have a blast with it. Is it perfect? No, neither is any other title. I’n the end I did dislike the first iteration though it was my first “sim” after 15 years. Had good fun with it, but them I went to rFactor 2, Raceroom an Assetta Corsa and Automobilista. And then you will notice the differences in physics and handling. And not to say anything about the poorly implemented FFB.

And now with PC2, boy, what a difference! Imho a lot of features are overlooked and underappreciated but makes the racing experience great. Especially in the endurance and touring cars department.

And my only main little gripe is that they tried to put a lot of different disciplines in it (which is great) but just not perfectly implemented with missing some rules. But my guess is that that’s something what will come in future installments. Because choices certainly had to be made. Just like Kunos, Reiza, Sector 3 and Studio 397 have make choices in our never ending wishlists ;)

And other small funny things like non steering steeringwheels and static tyres when exiting the pits. And not being able to exit the pit manually. But imho small things I personally can live with. And I truly believe this may look like only a fresher iteration of the original to some, but in time will be appreciated as a game which set a higher level of realism (from driving experience, not AI ;))

Just my humble 2 cents.

When this thread begins with haters and that odd same "making things bad.." attitude only because PC1 was trash,is not fair.
I never saw a fresh title without bugs.Not to mention ouer beloved Rfactor 2,where nobody knows,when it's ready....
AC is...Fxxx or shxxx no Sim,bad AI,Physics are crap...and so on.
Now we have another title to beat on.
The only posting,that is informative is by William Webster.
And yes,i have AC and AMS and RR3 and Stock Car Extreme
and RF2 (DX11).
And of course PROJECT CARS 2,i didn't bought PC1,maybe thats why I'm no "hater"
LoL
DC
And the Game is a Sim and pretty good in every aspect.We will see improvment in Updates.
Like in EVERY Sim.
Waiting for Studio397 getting the things together. .

Reviews are really mixed. It just sounds like a better version of PC1, which is no where near good enough for a $60 price.

I bought PC1 and was so annoyed at how unresponsive and crap it was. This doesn't sound a whole lot better. They needed to start again with PC2, but it sounds like they just slightly modified PC1 and then sold it to us fools for $60.

Reviews are really mixed. It just sounds like a better version of PC1, which is no where near good enough for a $60 price.

I bought PC1 and was so annoyed at how unresponsive and crap it was. This doesn't sound a whole lot better. They needed to start again with PC2, but it sounds like they just slightly modified PC1 and then sold it to us fools for $60.

I think,you should try it first and moan later...
DC

As said it's a bit of hit and miss. Some cars drives really well, some are just bad. Unfortunately the latter ones might be the cars everyone is running online so... Sounds are a huge improvement, excluding annoying skid sounds. VR is good, in car functionalities not. FFB is either useable/not disturbing or bad. Snow in UK has so much grip that I hope Brexit will keep the grippy snow so we can have the slippy one in Scandinavia. Rain was really grippy but the puddles were really impressive. Rally cross cars were very understeery and no damper or differential adjustment could make the car oversteery off-throttle when trying to make the car nervous using left foot braking. Not something I expected and probably the biggest disappointment. I had some graphical glitches during the test drive but that might be because I was streaming at the same time.

Hit the refund. Probably going back some day if the game evolves and has a proper discount. Right now it would end up being worthless because I don't have enough time to find an excuse to play it instead of something else where the core of the game called driving is more solid. Don't get me wrong, some cars were really good but I cannot see much use for those cars.

Can't get a good view from inside the cars, no matter how much I adjust fov and seat position. They seriously need to improve the cameras, have more angles and options.

And it's clear improvement over the first game. I don't know about the bad graphics some say, the game looks very sharp on my end. The physics still is an issue though. Some people ventilating the game feels like rF2, I dunno what they have smoked, but the game still feels a lot like the first PCars sometimes. Other times it feels more loose, like Forza. Especially with the Ford GT and some other new stuff. That's actually pretty good when the game feels like this. Rally X feels surprisingly great.

Audio still is a mixed bag. Engines are way too loud. But the screeching sounds are a great addition.

By far the best improvement are the tracks. They all feel much better modeled this time. Nordschleife, Le Mans and Monaco are way better.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back