PC2 Project cars 2 on sale £8.99

I managed to get this for myself as an early birthday present. As well as a beginners 3-month iRacing sub for £5. It means I can experiment as a noob sim rig racer.

For example, before these offers I had the dilemma of not knowing what was better to buy, PC2 or Assetto Corsa, iRacing or rFactor, etc.

I am not ruling out Assetto Corsa or rFactor in the future, I am just saying it makes those early decisions. Already had F1 and Forza so sales like this make the difference.

I managed to get this for myself as an early birthday present. As well as a beginners 3-month iRacing sub for £5. It means I can experiment as a noob sim rig racer.

For example, before these offers I had the dilemma of not knowing what was better to buy, PC2 or Assetto Corsa, iRacing or rFactor, etc.

I am not ruling out Assetto Corsa or rFactor in the future, I am just saying it makes those early decisions. Already had F1 and Forza so sales like this make the difference.

PC2 and iRacing are sort of at opposite ends of the sim-racing spectrum IMO, but I think both are well suited to beginners.. iRacing has a superb on-line competition system, which is effectively an on-line career mode. You start out in an "easy to drive" car and work your way up.

PC2 has pick up on-line racing which will be very hit and miss in terms of the quality of racing, especially for a beginner. But it has a single player career mode, again where you start in the easier to drive cars and work your way up. The AI can be inconsistent andlike all AI it is far from perfect ,but if you manage to set the right difficulty level you can get a decent race.

iRacing has a pretty limited set of cars and tracks "as standard" with additional content coming at a high price. PC2 has an amazing line-up of cars and tracks for a bargain price.

Although the starter cars in iRacing have the reputation of being relatively easy to drive, as you progress to harder cars, the difference between PC2 and iR will become apparent. Although some people find the PC2 cars hard to drive I would say in general they are more forgiving than those in iRacing. SMS believe cars, including racing cars, are easier to drive than their equivalents in most sims. They believe you can drive racing cars at and beyond the limit without them killing you. If you prefer the more traditional approach to sims - harder is more realistic - PC2 is probably not for you.

I would have two pieces of advice for new PC2 players.

1. If you don't like how the cars drive on the default "loose" setup, don't be afraid to load the alternative "stable" setup provided for all cars. For road cars I would also recommend the OEM setup option.

2. If you can trust yourself not to cut chicanes etc, turn off the track cutting penalty system in single player. Most people find it very annoying.

Thanks for tips. To my surprise, a month in, I am preferring PC2 to iRacing. Reason being it feels better to drive and there are more options. Also, iRacing is just harder and more complex to set up. And I now have a full game free and only two months left of iRacing. However, I will still try a league in iRacing. Next to check out will be something like Automobilista.

Although I do prefer a more traditional approach to sim racing (harder is more realistic), I actually find in reality I prefer to play what is more fun as a beginner with a wheel as I don't like the stress of being last and putting in grinding practice hours with little improvement. It actually puts me off using a wheel for something like F1 on elite assists and would rather use a controller.

That is why I am making the sim racing settings easier for my wheel. Basically to bed in as a beginner again, as if I had never played a racing game before.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.0%