PC2 Project CARS 2 Nissan Previews and a Fast Mitsubishi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 Nissan 4.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios have revealed a whole raft of new images from four very impressive Nissan race cars due to be added to Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC racing game Project CARS 2.

With a release of Project CARS 2 due towards the end of September, Slightly Mad Studios have been on the promotion trail and are slowly revealing some of the exciting content due to launch with the game across all platforms towards the end of the year.

Today SMS have shown off some impressive looking images of a selection of Nissan race cars, giving fans access to some of the finest machines produced by the Japanese manufacturer over the years.

As well as a whole bunch of the Japanese Nissan brands cars coming up in Project CARS 2, SMS have also confirmed something a little bit different and not seen in other sims, the very dramatic looking and incredibly rapid Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI SVA Time Attack. It's big, it's fast and it does unexpected things in corners, enjoy!

Project CARS 2 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI SVA Time Attack.jpg

Please don't forget to check out our cars revealed so far thread where we will attempt to keep an up to date list of the cars teased, revealed and leaked on the build up to the new game.

Project CARS 2 is due for release on Xbox One, PS4 and Windows PC towards the end of 2017.

Project CARS 2 Nissan .jpg
Project CARS 2 Nissan 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 Nissan 3.jpg

Check out our Project CARS 2 sub forum for a place to join together with fellow race fans and discuss the game prior to it's launch around September 2017. Once the game is publically available we will be hosting further sub forums with racing league and club events, downloadable setups, mods and more. Stay tuned for all the action here at RaceDepartment!

Project CARS 2 Nissan 5.jpg PROJECT CARS 2 Onboard.jpg Project CARS 2 Nissan Skyline 2000RS 1983 2.jpgProject CARS 2 Nissan Skyline R32.jpg Project CARS 2 Nissan Skyline .jpg

Are you happy to see the inclusion of many of Nissan's premium race cars from the manufacturers history? What other cars would you like to see in future with the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
While the amount of screenshots and marketing looks rather impressive, I can't help but feel something will go horribly wrong by the time this game gets released.

I want this game to succeed, but I'm still tainted by the amount of flack the first game got. Never bought the game because of it.

Last edited:
Guys, while I was certainly not a fan of the first game, give them a break. You are not forced to pre-order or anything, you can form your opinion after trying the game or very least watching gameplay and reading reviews of the release version, not based on presumptions.

On the content side, I love Nissan and as a co-owner of a '98 Mitsubishi Carisma I naturally love Mitsubishi as well (I guess we won't see that model in the game though :D). If anything, I think they will ace the licenses this time. Just hoping for a relatively full GT3 grid :whistling:

I feel similar, i jumped on pcars 1 but although i wouldnt call it a waste of money or a rubbish game it didnt have the longevity purely because of the handling and ffb, its a real shame because it still has more features than AC which is my go to sim. Im really really hoping they nail that aspect.

Those Pcars threads are always a good venue for the (luckily only few) forum trolls..best way to just ignore them i guess.

Regarding Pcars 2, i really really hope they are nailing the FFB and physics this time, and get to R3E/Assetto Corsa level, and as a consequence a regular appearance in the club racing calendar.
If i just think about club racing in changing weather conditions, rain, dusk/dawn or night, with the great car lineup we are going to get (only Sim with complete GT LM field, all up to date GT3s etc) i can't stop myself from drooling..would be a real shame if they waste the potential.

• Deleted member 205301

yes !!!! a lot of old and no need cars !!!
(don't get me wrong, I really loves classic content, but these....)
Wahooooo !!! so much "bling bling" !!! with greats graphics and stupid physics !!!
I'm soooOoooOOoo happy !!!!! :D
They tricked me with PCars 1, they won't have me with the 2...
@++
Well, it seems that I was unable to controled myself...
The truth is I liked some of pc1 aspect (for me ffb and many physics were great), but lots of cars had "approximative physics", and tracks weren't close to realism : for exemple, the pitlane exit in Monaco, adding a "banking" at lesmo and parabolica in monza, etc...
I'm angry cause they don't talk about fixing that, but only about new cars (wich are not new, it seems to be for half, same cars in pc1..)
Maybe I didn't see it, but i didn't heard about laserscan (wich is absolutely necessary for an actual sim), or focusing on "realistic" physics...That's what disapointed me in the 1, and it not seems to be the dev'priority for the 2....
..and to be honest, I'll certainly buy it, and have a look on (to judge by myself)
The cars wich one they tease us seems to please lots of guys, and that's cool for developpers, happy for them, I didn't want to troll "stupidely" just expose why i'm not confident ;)
@++

Maybe I didn't see it, but i didn't heard about laserscan (wich is absolutely necessary for an actual sim), or focusing on "realistic" physics...That's what disapointed me in the 1, and it not seems to be the dev'priority for the 2....
Maybe you should then inform yourself before screaming out..
They published that every new track and even most of the old will be using either laserscan data or be drone-scanned using a technique that will image heights on and off-track even more realistic then a laserscan. This will enable them to represent whats on the sides of the track more realistic then all other Sims using laserscan (which will also be important on how the water will drain off).
Physics are completely rewritten, have nothing to do with Pcars 1. They told us they are "better then all existing Sims", but whether that's true or not is personal preference for starters, and furthermore can only be judged by us when the Sim goes Gold. It's definitely a priority for the Sim. Whether they accomplish it, this doesn't only have to do with what's a priority, but also how capable their physics coders are.

I don't see any difference between RD and PRC when it comes to pCARS hate culture.
I quit reading PRC a long time ago, but at that time it was PRC's James who fed the hatred.
I have never noticed RD's @Paul Jeffrey act that way, just a bunch of muppets who feel the need to bash pCars on every occasion they get, most of them probably don't even have a clue why, they just think (hope) they are found "interesting".
Why else would they be negative answering on this kind of topics (previews of a game that is still WIP and not to be released before september ?

So RD is not to blame IMO...

I don't see any difference between RD and PRC when it comes to pCARS hate culture.
Can't believe you just wrote that. I think SMS can be extremely happy that after all that has happened we still report about pcars 1 & 2. Please link us to the 'hate articles' RD has posted over the last 11 years on any Blimey/SMS games.

I think you are seriously mixing up user comments/feedback with impartial news articles as I havent seen a more honest writer in this industry than Paul.

You can't seriously put RD or any simnews site for that matter in the same category.

Can't believe you just wrote that. I think SMS can be extremely happy that after all that has happened we still report about pcars 1 & 2. Please link us to the 'hate articles' RD has posted over the 11 years.

I think you are seriously mixing up user comments/feedback with impartial news articles as I havent seen a more honest writer in this industry than Paul.

You can't seriously put RD or any simnews site for that matter in the same category.

I come here occasionally to give you guys exclusives, I'm working on the QnA... I see a lot of negativity with the occasional positive post suggesting that people are going too far with regard to us but I'm very confident in what we've created with pCARS2 and am happy to lay out my stall here.

Your post reads to me like you think we're privileged that you 'still report on us'. Literally you said, 'SMS can be extremely happy that after all that has happened we still report'... Please read that a few times... I don't expect much but to be told I'm lucky to still be here falls a little flat.

Please advise as we're at a loss here. I'm happy to come here and respond to your questions and advise your users but I don't at all feel that I'm lucky to be allowed to.

Last edited:
Obviously, what resmania wrote about the hate culture, was written about RD members. You know, the ones telling you how bad this simcade is going to be and we shouldnt trust them because they didn't deliver xyz the first time. Or the great feedback on announcement threads, where they come to tell you that once burnt twice sigh, in various expressional mediums. Putting it midly, no other game gets this much flak. Of course, can't blame RD for its users, but it's a general observation that is easily made.

Whilst i know your here Ian, is there anything you can give away in regards to the new physics, everyone is talking mostly in this regard. I really hope you nail it bucause i juat want a great sim. There are flaws in every product and to ask for perfection is obviously daft but do you personally feel that its now on par at least with Assetto? (my personal favourite handling) if that is the case then i can imagine it being the best racing game to come out for a long time. Sorry to be a pain but also have you stopped the cars sticking together on contact yet? Also It's your lucky day, you may reply to me :)

Last edited:
Whilst i know your here Ian, is there anything you can give away in regards to the new physics, everyone is talking mostly in this regard. I really hope you nail it bucause i juat want a great sim. There are flaws in every product and to ask for perfection is obviously daft but do you personally feel that its now on par at least with Assetto? (my personal favourite handling) if that is the case then i can imagine it being the best racing game to come out for a long time. Sorry to be a pain but also have you stopped the cars sticking together on contact yet?

Absolutely. So we created a new tyre model called seta for pCARS1. It was the first and only (still) real time node based dynamic model in the industry but to be fair, we ran out of time to polish it properly for pCARS1.

We've since added new modules to that model and written new from scratch drivetrain, throttle and differential models for pCARS2.

The consensus from the thousands of WMD2 members is that we've surpassed RF2 and AC with this one. I'm copying and pasting this but this is what we're doing for pCARS2 purely on the tyre model (which is about 95% of what you feel when you play):

It's the first fully dynamic node based tyre model in a commercial game. Nothing is baked. It simulates things like surface rubber being removed from the tyre based on the temperature, both external (surface) and internal (fed via the thickness of the rubber, the abrasive properties of the surface, the heat generated from that, the heat dissipated from the brake discs based on their proximity to the tyre, the amount of heat generated from a softer tyre pressure and compound compared to a harder tyre pressure) and that's just tyre wear...

For the tyre carcass we measure and simulate how the elastic behaviour of the compound changes with speed, temperature, and pressure. How rolling resistance changes with speed, temperature and pressure. We measure sidewall buckling at low pressure and how that varies among Bias Ply, Radial, or Hybrid constructions. We include Gyroscopic Effects and Dynamic responses such as vibration, telescoping, and twisting live and all at 600 times per second as per the tread simulation.

For the tread simulation itself we utilise our finite difference simulation of the contact patch, with the tire tread “flowing” through the contact patch. The whole tread itself is discretized into elements much like the carcass, but the contact patch itself is a finite difference grid bringing:
Flash Heating, which is the change of temperature in the outermost rubber layer through the contact patch.
A Componentized grip model. Each component is affected differently by road surface conditions, wetness, and temperature;
Deformation – the rubber deforms in and around asperities, resisting sliding motion;
Adhesion – the rubber bonds to surface rubber and materials in a realistic manner;
Tack – the sticky tacky grip you can feel on your shoes when walking a rubbered in track, related to adhesion;
Tearing – the ripping of rubber from the tire;
Cut – grip from the geometry, edges, grooves, and siping of the tread, with particular effect in dirt and gravel;
Tread channel depth and water handling;
Discretized and temperature sensitive wear; Curing and; Temperature sensitive elastic properties.

The carcass and tread simulations are coupled such that there is no roughness or “stepping”, while still preserving the detail of both simulations. The contact patch size, shape, and pressure distribution is determined by the carcass simulation and is used by the tread simulation. The forces on the tire from the road surface are simulated in the tread simulation and transferred as external forces to the carcass simulation.

And then we have the heat transfer simulation which handles heat flow between brakes, wheel well, rim, carcass, and tread layers. How the heat transfers amongst tread elements, from tread elements to the road surface, and from the tread elements to the air are handled directly by the tread simulation (including advection and evaporation). The pressure of the tire is maintained by the carcass simulation via the ideal gas law.

I think a lot of people are in for a pleasant surprise :)

Last edited:
Can't believe you just wrote that. I think SMS can be extremely happy that after all that has happened we still report about pcars 1 & 2. Please link us to the 'hate articles' RD has posted over the last 11 years on any Blimey/SMS games.

Oh nearly missed this. I do agree with your point about Paul. Top guy.

Your post reads to me like you think we're privileged that you 'still report on us'. Literally you said, 'SMS can be extremely happy that after all that has happened we still report'... Please read that a few times... I don't expect much but to be told I'm lucky to still be here falls a little flat.
I read it a few times as I wrote it down myself. You know exactly what I mean Ian. Maybe the newer members aren't aware what happened here in 2012 but I remember it very clearly like yesterday. It's by far the darkest page in RD history.

Ian, you and I both know you aren't a frequent visiting member of this site either as you claim (zero posts between end of 2012 and May 2015 and from May 2015 and February of this year). You appear directly before a game release to hype things up with promises. Post-release you are actively downplaying criticism and carefully picking your fights to deviate the attention from the actual problems.

As a huge fan of GTR, GTR2 and GTL I have been disappointed with Shift 1, Shift 2 (with exception of the awesome community patch), Test Drive: FRL and PCars 1 and I will be very skeptical with regards to pre-release promises that aren't delivered. I hope we will see some actual movie footage before release of what you claim is "redefining the genre".

I'll happily play the beta of Project CARS 2 without an NDA if you are 100% confident that PCars 2 is really redefining the genre this time around. I'll be the first one to admit in public when it truly is and when it isn't I need the freedom to voice my concerns as well. Are you up for it? I am, no testing salary, free high end pc or Nascar needed. Unbiased and for free on my amazing kitchen table setup, like it should.

Oh nearly missed this. I do agree with your point about Paul. Top guy.
Glad that after all these years we do agree on at least one thing then.

people are going too far with regard to us
I you think forum rules are breached, click the report button under a post and we will take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 232 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%