Project 8020 Rig with Tactile from Obutto Revolution

I have in my head long time the project similar to Ceolmar with rig and tactiles isolated from floor and from other rig parts.
I also want to upgrade from Obutto to aluminium extrusion.
As I have osw large mige at the moment (probably will replace it with small) and HE Ultimate pedals, there is now some flexibility in the rig.
But to be honest, Im using it partly as an excuse to make a change and start something new.

There are options either to buy rig, which is already done, like Sim-lab P1 or to build one. Im still in the process to consider all the pros and cons, while getting the quotes and making plans.

To buy one (Sim-Lab P1)
+ quality of the rig is according to some reviews great
+ guys at Sim-Lab are very customer service oriented and supportive
- cost, especially for shipping (NZ) is high
- is prebuilt, so to make any additional custom changes will make the price even higher

To build one
+ much more fun while building it
+ more custom adjustments possible
- quality of custom made pieces and extrusion can vary, especially when made in china
- cost could be lower, but also because of mistakes in design or in quality of pieces can be much higher

This will be a long run as Im not in a rush; all ideas and constructive discussions will be very appreciated.

targets are:
- enjoy myself on the process doing this
- build an sturdy extrusion rig based partly on Simlab P1, Heusinkveld Rig and few tips from Obutto
- keep the variability to use it as working station for other games
- for flight games (especially Elite, SC if they will ever finish it)
- for all other games (BB2, FPS games, etc)
- take tactiles feedback to higher level and isolate it as best as possible - in reasonable price range
- decrease the noise of the rig
- prepare it for far far future motion upgrade
- not to ruin my bank account and keep my marriage
- and last not least sharing this journey here and maybe at Iracing forum too

some of the challenges:
- rig itself must be in nook in living room, so the access is only on right side, as from the other sides are walls. It means access, keyboard tray and the shifter with hand handbreak must be from one side.
- the floor are wooden boards covered with carpet, beneath are living tenants at ground floor, paying really well and obviously I don't want them move out because of earthquake
- because of the nook there is no way to have 3 monitors, that's why I have chosen curved tv 4k 48". TV is quite high and must be placed behind Mige, which reduces FOV (I've tried Oculus and decide to wait for future generations)
- where and how to position 4 bass shakers to be as effective as possible in CM and isolated from all other parts
- Where to attach "rear wheels shakers" – to rig or seat. If the "rear wheels" are attached to the seat and isolated, put the buttkicker still under the seat? it seems to be too much in same place, however it could simulate engine vibrations. If they will be attached to rig, it would transfer vibrations to whole rig
- where to attach "front wheels" - pedal tray vs rig and where to isolate
- and a lot of more coming...

First step - review my current rig and adjustments I made at Obutto
Second step - share plans and finalise design
Third step - process of building the rig

My current setup
Simucube OSW Large Mige / Heusinkveld Ultimate / Fanatec Porsche 918 RSR Wheel / Fanatec F1 Carbon Wheel / Fanatec Shifter SQ 1.5 / Fanatec Handbreak / Obutto R3volution / Buttkicker Gamer2 in extension mode / 4 IDX Maximus Bass shakers with 2 of SMSL SA-98E in chassis mode / Gametrix KW-908 / 2 clark 339 (sitting in the box at the moment) / 49" Samsung curved 4k / Sam Maxwell Nascar Screen / 2 ipads / Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Ruddle Pedals

Keyboard and mouse tray with arm
I really like Obutto keyboard tray with arm, as it has three swivels, it is very flexible, sturdy enough and can change the cockpit into working or gaming station
Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 20.04.01.png
So I've tried to do something simillar from 4040 and custom alluminium with three pivots. As I have no experience with 8020, I have no idea if this would work and be sturdy enough
rig with keyboard arm.png
Vertical arm is 4040_485mm long and then 3x3030 pivots with 3x3030_130mm long pieces on last one connected with 4020_700mm as spine for keyboard mouse tray.
keyboard arm top.pngkeyboard arm bottom.pngrig with seat, keyboard arm shifter.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shifter arm
Not sure how to mount it. As my access to rig is from right side I can't use the solution which Sim-lab is using. It seems very sturdy, however not to simple to change hight

I have a Sim-Labs P1 and have mounted the shifter arm and my shifter (Fanatec) on the left so that I have access on the right hand side. So you can fit either side and customise as you see fit and that's the beauty of 8020. The mount is also easily adjustable up and down and is rock solid.

FWIW I also mounted my handbrake alongside my shifter. (See pic 2) However to bring it up higher, I've now fixed the HB to the extra piece of 4040 you can see, mounted on top of the shifter mount.

Rig 2.jpg
Rig 3.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for pictures, I tried the shifter on left side before on Obutto, but even now as Im living in country with left hand side driving, for simracing I still prefer the right hand shifting

Upvote 0
Seat
- has to be strong enough to manage He Ultimates - bucket seat
- comfortable, adjustable - reclinable seat
- isolated from rig and connected to 2 bass shakers in chassis mode and potentially one bass shaker under seat for engine vibration

Fixed option with rubber bobbins, simple and will work great with reclinable seat, not sure with bucket seat
fix seat with rubber.png

adjustible option with rubber bobbins, maybe too overcomplicated
pivoted seat with rubber.pngdetail pivoted seat with rubber.pngpivoted seat complete.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pedals
- adjustable as possible for different positions, probably not F1, but will be great to be able angle them and put them high and low, especially if angled seat will be chosen
- it has to be isolated from rig itself and there should be two bass shakers somehow connected to simulate front wheel, don't have clear idea how to do it

There could be rubber bobbins on the profiles and HE base sitting on them, but still has to be solved two bass shakers connected to them
Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 20.07.28.png

I can put two more 40120 pieces above 40160 and connect pedals tray to them if I want to lift them up..??
pedals lifted up 120.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey there.

I'm curious if you've made any progress since your last post? I currently have an Obutto R3volution and have ordered the Next Level Racing V3 motion platform. Mounting the seat shouldn't be an issue, but I'd still like to keep my keyboard/mouse tray and shifter mounts. Obviously the kb/m tray can't be mounted during motion operation, so I'm brainstorming a way to incorporate an 80/20 solution somewhere.

Maybe attaching a 15 series bar on the outside of the motion platform (a part which doesn't move), then attaching the keyboard tray to that.

Either way, I'm curious how far you've come.

Upvote 0
Hi Soulstoner,
Im almost done with design and now just trying to figure out where to get the extrusion and custom plates from and to get a sample before the whole order

I like the Obutto keyboard / mouse arm and my first thought was to attach it to 8020 rig. Rockafella tried something similar in the past, when I saw the pictures and after discussing with him, I decided not to. It just look really awful, the combination of steel black tubes and silver 8020

Im planning to get similar arm like Obutto, but made from alluminium as picture bellow. The other option could be this https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/45-246#/

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 09.12.17.png

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 337 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%