Progression shout-out thread.

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
I noticed while reading this forum that a lot of people are working on their licenses, ratings and standings, so I figured it might be a nice idea to have this one thread where you can shout out your latest marks, achievements and memorable moments.

So, let flow the "Yay, I got my D-license!"-'s, "Yeah, 2000 iRating!"-'s and "Whoohooo, my first victory!"-'s. ;)

Oooh I've just managed to finish 4th out of 9 drivers on Limerock Park with Mazda MX-5 Roadster. Because it has been my second race, I chose to drive more carefully (so times around 1.02/1.03 were common). It has been quite calm race, except first three and last two laps. In the beginning, a situation happened when I had been approaching the first turn with two other drivers, side to side. I chose the inner line and I was successful in overtaking one of them. One of them just kept going straight for no reason really, and then he (probably he) wrote "you ****ing moron", although there was enough space for one more car... I made a slight off-track mistake and the other driver passed me, but I still don't understand what happened to the overtaken guy. Heart attack probably. In the end I managed to get better position after a mistake of another driver.

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=4125603&custid=76741

I held my first simrace ever (in life, not just in iRacing) two days ago on Okoyama Short Course Circuit, nVidia cup with Mazda MX-5 Roadster. Absolutely fantastic, although I still drive like a piece of **** :) Only one bad thing happened but fortunately I didn't cause it. A guy in front of me "catched the grass" as he said, he turned over and I couldn't even react (I managed to drive around him, but his car bumped into my rear) and I spinned too (4x inc.). One of my rear wheels was heavily damaged and I had to pit, which took about 1 minute, so it basically ruined my minimal chances to at least catch up with the leader. I finished 7/10 with -2 laps, but I was very happy at that moment because I finished and that was my goal. So I'm very happy and I like simracing very much - you have to be patient, precise and you have to know the right time to admit your defeat. Happy racing!

I didn't finish my first few races. So your off to a great start. Now I regulary finish in the top five with a couple wins, and a few top threes. I race mainly oval so while differnt the same principles apply. YOU HAVE TO BE THERE WHEN IT COUNTS IN ORDER TO HAVE A SHOT AT THE WIN! or even a top five or three. So for 70 out of a 100 I stay alert, and keep pace with the pack. 25-30 to go it is time to push the go button. In all honesty they should atleast make D class races just as long as C is now in order to teach newer drivers patience. The shootout format is okay for rookies , mainly because half the pack is out by lap 10 anyway, but higher up going for the win to early is a major wreck wating to happen.

I held my first simrace ever (in life, not just in iRacing) two days ago on Okoyama Short Course Circuit, nVidia cup with Mazda MX-5 Roadster. Absolutely fantastic, although I still drive like a piece of **** :) Only one bad thing happened but fortunately I didn't cause it. A guy in front of me "catched the grass" as he said, he turned over and I couldn't even react (I managed to drive around him, but his car bumped into my rear) and I spinned too (4x inc.). One of my rear wheels was heavily damaged and I had to pit, which took about 1 minute, so it basically ruined my minimal chances to at least catch up with the leader. I finished 7/10 with -2 laps, but I was very happy at that moment because I finished and that was my goal. So I'm very happy and I like simracing very much - you have to be patient, precise and you have to know the right time to admit your defeat. Happy racing!

Jan, congrats! You have a great attitude for sim racing. Just enjoy the ride whether you're battling for the lead, mid-pack or dead last. Race your race and have fun! :)

Thank you for your appreciation. Today I've held another Limepark course with Mazda MX-5 and it was a great race. I managed to overtake once just because of my skill, which was really surprising for me. Even though I've been driving alone most of the time, I liked it very much and I managed to significantly improve my average time from over 1.03 in the last race to 1.01 today, so I hope I'll keep going!

And I noticed that I spam this section somehow, I'm really sorry about that :)

I went and got one of them thar pickem up trucks. All I can say is...:D!!!

Who gives a rip! This is retarded fun :D

Yeah the trucks can be a total blast and it's even better when you get in a race and others actually have racecraft. The trucks are setup dependant for sure to be fast. If someone ever shares a setup with you that is gold, you will know it instantly!

For the first went in to the 3000 road iRating! Was close to it for the last 4 weeks going from 2800 to 2950 and back to 2700. But this weekend i had a couple of good runs in the LMP2 on Mid-Ohio and now i'm at 3036 :D

Congrats!!! I seem to be always stuck hovering around the 2k mark.

Yeah the trucks can be a total blast and it's even better when you get in a race and others actually have racecraft. The trucks are setup dependant for sure to be fast. If someone ever shares a setup with you that is gold, you will know it instantly!

While your comment on setups is spot on, I think it's important to state that setups aren't the be-all, end-all. Being just into Trucks I have bupkis for setups and am often off more than a second to the leaders. That hasn't stopped me from many top 5's and heartpounding battles for the lead. Other than the one race I got wrecked out of, I havent finished lower than 6th (in 1st and 2nd splits) in my sad guy setups.

With my bunk setups I got into a heavy 4th place battle in the first split. For 60 some laps I fought from 17th to get there before finally settling in and comfortably running behind 3rd. At the lap 90 caution, as me and 3rd were commentating on what cracking fun we were having, a battle between man-children over the caution resulted in one of them punting his adversary at 90mph. Unfortunately, he was right behind me and his truck ended up in the bed of mine, effectively destroying what had been a perfect race. With only 5 to go a pit stop was impossible. I managed to shove my truck around for the last 5 laps and saved a 6th place finish.

The next race was just dumb. The pace car won that one and racked up 2 bonus points for leading the most laps in this 10 caution for 44 laps wreck fest. Longest green flag run was 4 laps, just a mess. I got taken out early, but after a 10 minute fix, I stuck with it and went from 19th to a 13th place finish.

The last race was noteworthy. Usually the leaders sort it out and leave mid pack to fight tooth and nail for no reason. In this race, 2nd through 5th fought door to door from the jump. It was the craziest, position-swappingest, holy crapingest race I've been in, I've just never seen the leaders fight that hard that early for that long before. I made an incredible, high side, totally slideways pass which gave me a feeling of invicibility and started my push for the lead. I rode that high to the leaders bumper, passed him with 30 to go, and never looked back. Won my first truck race by 4 seconds! Boo-yah!

Setups are key, but wins can come without one. :D

Been having trouble being competitive in the Skippy, but tonight I managed to snare a second place finish at New Hampshire! Best run in that car which I've learned to love despite the fits it gave me at first.

The 'road with south oval' course there, incidentally, is awesome in that car.

Taladega in the Impalla. OMG! finished 6th from an 18 start. Door to Door the entire 15 laps. Crossed the line 3 tenths down on the leader.. Shakin like a leaf afterwards. Awesome race.
I think the Ovals might have me for a while...
Why do then weave a bit down the straits? Is it trying to break the tow of the drafters behind?
George.
Round and round we go...

Just purchased a few pieces of content for the first time before my promotion to D class. Mustang seems to be a good choice, reasonable under/oversteer, amazing engine sound, high seat. Gorgeous car, the only drawback is that with my 120° FOV I don't see as great portion of a track as in Mazdas, but I think I can live with that :) And I'm really looking forward to new series and circuits, training Limerock Park all the time got a bit boring. Vrmmmm vrm!

George, if your talking a "full lane weave" where they move a whole car width or more, then you're spot on. While I'm not sure how effective it is in simulation, we do know that just running a straight line will get you run up on so I guess a little weave is at least TRYING to help your cause.

Another little fun thing I do on ovals, regardless of size, is what I call "baiting". Even on the half mile tracks, people draft. It's not as severe as Superspeedways, but it helps. Sometimes, when I think someone is dogtailing my every move, I'll do a similar wiggly-weave to see if they copy. If they do, that tells me with relative certainty that they're going to continue.

If we as a duo catch another car, I run the risk of my dogtail taking my spot as I drive out of position to make a pass. So when I'm ready to make that pass, I'll purposely run a foul line into the turn, you know, one that gets the car loose or binds it up. Since I know it's coming, I'm ready for it, but my dogtail almost always gets caught unawares. Sure, I'll lose half a tenth to the guy I'm going to pass, but I'll GAIN a good 2-3 tenths on my dogtail. When I catch back up to the guy again, I'll have a nice little cushion with no fear of the dogtail getting in the way =)

It doesn't work everytime, to be sure, but it's a nice little weapon to have. ;)

Thank you Carl, thats some good information there for sure. I picked up a good qualy tid bit on the Dega race track last night too. Make the first lap as close to the wall as possible and then stick to the yellow line for lap 2. Worked a treat. Qualified 3rd. : ) 49.8x I think...
I can not beleive how much I rush just sitting on the grid for these races... my heart is pounding and hands sweating... totaly engaging.
Did 2 races last night, but was involved in wrecks both times, but the laps before were solid gold encased in the pack going hell for leather...
I'm starting to learn a bit about where to be on the track too now. Pulled out into the middle lane last night. Immediately lost 3 places. I turned the spotter on and boy what a difference it made. I spent one race listening to him, not rearly beleiving what he said, (being a Brit I have never watched Oval racing so know nowt about it.) but wondering how the others chopped lanes with out crashing. So when he said 'Clear' I swopped lanes. Clean and easy. Yea! drafted the dude in front and was going past the pack in the middle lane and then got involved in a crash that started inside me... boom, its over.
I just cant beleive how intense it is on these races... blows me away.
I'll be doing a few more Dega runs today for sure. : )

No problem George and well done on the quali. That trick works on all tracks, not just Dega. Always run the first outlap on the high side of T3/T4, it gives you more speed down the straight so the timing section from Start/Finish to T1 will be way faster than a typical lap.

Remember that too for races. While it's not always the fastest way around the track lap time-wise, it can be a boon for working thorugh the pack. If you follow someone through T3/T4 at Michigan, for example, you rely on the draft giving you enough speed to pull alongside them on the straight, but it's probably only enough to get you door-to-door, resulting in you going into T1 side by side. If you run that high line around T3/T4, you lose a few feet on a guy, but you then have the draft AND that extra 5mph you didn't scrub off at your disposal. You may well end up being able to make the pass BEFORE T1 and not lose time with that door-to-door nonsense.

George, just one thing to watch. The spotter doesn't always get it right. Some times you get a clear inside when it's not. Rear view mirror helps. Anyways Trucks at Dega this week. Will either boost or wreck my SR!!! Anyway can always time trial it back up.

Today I was a bit disappointed after my (fortunately) last Rookie race. I have to tell you I am slow driver - and I can drive considerably faster. However, I always try to drive as safely as possible, so my best lap times are always about 1 or 2 seconds slower then my best ones. Today I managed to gather enough MPR to get promoted to D class on the 26th of September when the promotions arrive (I could have D class instantly, but I don't rush). I was Rookie 2.85 in the morning after three races and I hoped one race will be enough to achieve the 3.00 SR required for promotion. It was clear that I have to make 3 or 4 inc. tops so I decided I'll drive slowly and safely. I started 10/10th, exactly as I wished. I started really slowly, but I managed to get to 7th position as some of the drivers were trying so hard that they were making mistakes time to time. They were certainly faster than me and they started to catch up with me and I was absolutely willing to let them pass me, I just wanted my SR to improve so I didn't really care about my iRating. These "drivers" made me gain more inc. points than I wanted very quickly. First of all, one bumped into me at least two times intentionally, however these were just 0x contact so I didn't worry about it very much (even though I knew immediately he's an idiot). Later he managed to bump into my rear again, but in a sharp turn this time, so I spun and it resulted in 4x contact. It happened about the 10th/25 lap so I thought it might end well if I drive safely. And so I did. I was last at the moment. I managed to catch up on two drivers who were fighting against each other so they were slower than usually. I managed to overtake and I was 8th atm which was pretty good. However, the same situation happened. It resulted in 2x loss of control and 1x off-track. And I was very angry, because it could be a perfectly clean race, but these guys forced me to do 7 inc. so my SR gain was only 0.13. And i was really disappointed that people like these drive iRacing. They were clearly faster. They could overtake anytime they wanted, but they simply made me spin instead. Bah. I finished 10/10th as planned :wink: with my iRating 2.98 :) So I decided to drive one time trial (since today, I didn't drive one). Fine 8 laps, pretty much consistent as I usually drive ("better safe than sorry" style), and I was very VERY surprised. +0.42 SR. If I wanted to be a A class driver in a weekend, I know exactly how I'd do it :) EDIT:No I'm stupid, that's because of that +0.40 bonus.

Now I'm simply looking forward to the Thrustmaster Mustang Challenge and I started to train Suzuka Grand Prix. Mustang is amazing and it'll certainly be much more fun than MX-5s. Even though it sometimes feels a bit soft and tend to slide a lot, I like it very much and I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. I have to get used to rolling starts however.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 110 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%