Problems installing rFactor2

Hi,

Long have I waited to buy rFactor2. I had the demo since a couple of months and today I decided to purchase the game. But now I'm totally lost...

I updated the launcher to latest version. And now when I want to add content I can't. I added the clio's, and when I launch the game I get the message: No mod files or installed mods found.Unable to continue. Please download and install at least one mod.

Also, I installed the rFactor demo to my SSD. But I don't have a lot of space left. Is there a way where I can simply download all the content available of rFactor2 and istall it on my other HDD?

Thx!

When you added the content did you put it in the "packages" folder and then using mod manager install it?
In mod manager (or manage content it might be called) you should see what you have in the packages folder and what items out of these are in fact installed.
Also "Look at the "working dir" in the Mod Mgr and then make sure it matches what you have under the advanced tab in the launcher." or in fact where the "mods" (cars tracks etc) are stored.

Last edited:
When you added the content did you put it in the "packages" folder and then using mod manager install it?
In mod manager (or manage content it might be called) you should see what you have in the packages folder and what items out of these are in fact installed.
Also "Look at the "working dir" in the Mod Mgr and then make sure it matches what you have under the advanced tab in the launcher." or in fact where the "mods" (cars tracks etc) are stored.

Ok, i've solved it. I just uninstalled rfactor2 en reinstalled on my other HDD. It works now.
About the content. Are there must have mods? Or is the base content of rFactor2 enough to start with? I'm completely new to rFactor, so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions :p.

thx!

by the way in the mod manager you can direct the launcher to anywhere you want to put the packages folder. I keep it on another harddrive so that It's always separate when I uninstall or reinstall game.
Just a tip.

Ok, i've solved it. I just uninstalled rfactor2 en reinstalled on my other HDD. It works now.
About the content. Are there must have mods? Or is the base content of rFactor2 enough to start with? I'm completely new to rFactor, so sorry if I'm asking stupid questions :p.

thx!
Anthony,
You are at the start of what will hopefully be a very rewarding journey.
Where to start and where to stop with tips and ideas is the question!

Process:
When you start driving you need to get some rubber down, (real Road).
Change a weather parameter and you can choose accellerated Real Road. Put some AI on the track and let them lap. You can hit accellerate time too.
Once you have some rubber down, you can see in the menu "save real road" it will ask you to name it. If ever you cant select it next time its usually due to bog standard weather. Just change one parameter in onesegment and the menu will unlock.

Some cars are easier than others. Maybe give us a hint of your experience. But there are many great cars.
Starting out-poss cars with good feel and not needing lots of set up work.
The Ferrari 458 Challenge is very good. (few setup options and lots of feel)
The Fiat 500 Abarth, FWD (default set-up is great)
Spec Miata (an MX5 by another name) great feel and fun.
GT cars with a bit more Challenge
ISI stock content GT cars (Nissan 370, Camaro, Corvette, Nissan GTR) possibly in that order.
The BES 1.0mod ( a full grid of GT3 cars)
ISI Meganes.
Historic Open Wheelers such as Spark and Brabham are great.
Current open Wheelers-THE SKIPPY (Skip Barber ) great training car.
Fast Open Wheler thats not too tricky-Formula Renault 3.5 2014 spec.

Work on your driving on a simple track.
If I were you I'd start with the Skip Barber at Limerock park and do say 200 laps! It will pay you back later.
Watch Skip Barber video" Going Faster" on YT from start to finish. What works in real life works in RF2.
Start to learn about setting up your car.
In the meantime there are quite a few set ups here.
http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/rfactor-2-setups.73/

Then go premium and start doing club races, Gijs hits you with a big variety of cars and tracks and its fun.
Oh , you might want to tweak your contorller settings for things like degrees of rotation to suit various cars and your preferences. Most stuff you can do a search and its been discussed.
Have fun

Edit Oh yes, once you have got your feet wet we did do a "RF2 Boot Camp" once before, it was 2 nights of car setup and driver coaching.
We could do it again but we need say 3-4 people who want it and have premium memebership!
Cheers

Last edited:
Anthony,
You are at the start of what will hopefully be a very rewarding journey.
Where to start and where to stop with tips and ideas is the question!

Process:
When you start driving you need to get some rubber down, (real Road).
Change a weather parameter and you can choose accellerated Real Road. Put some AI on the track and let them lap. You can hit accellerate time too.
Once you have some rubber down, you can see in the menu "save real road" it will ask you to name it. If ever you cant select it next time its usually due to bog standard weather. Just change one parameter in onesegment and the menu will unlock.

Some cars are easier than others. Maybe give us a hint of your experience. But there are many great cars.
Starting out-poss cars with good feel and not needing lots of set up work.
The Ferrari 458 Challenge is very good. (few setup options and lots of feel)
The Fiat 500 Abarth, FWD (default set-up is great)
Spec Miata (an MX5 by another name) great feel and fun.
GT cars with a bit more Challenge
ISI stock content GT cars (Nissan 370, Camaro, Corvette, Nissan GTR) possibly in that order.
The BES 1.0mod ( a full grid of GT3 cars)
ISI Meganes.
Historic Open Wheelers such as Spark and Brabham are great.
Current open Wheelers-THE SKIPPY (Skip Barber ) great training car.
Fast Open Wheler thats not too tricky-Formula Renault 3.5 2014 spec.

Work on your driving on a simple track.
If I were you I'd start with the Skip Barber at Limerock park and do say 200 laps! It will pay you back later.
Watch Skip Barber video" Going Faster" on YT from start to finish. What works in real life works in RF2.
Start to learn about setting up your car.
In the meantime there are quite a few set ups here.

Then go premium and start doing club races, Gijs hits you with a big variety of cars and tracks and its fun.
Oh , you might want to tweak your contorller settings for things like degrees of rotation to suit various cars and your preferences. Most stuff you can do a search and its been discussed.
Have fun

Edit Oh yes, once you have got your feet wet we did do a "RF2 Boot Camp" once before, it was 2 nights of car setup and driver coaching.
We could do it again but we need say 3-4 people who want it and have premium memebership!
Cheers

Thx, great answer :).
I have some experience with sim racing. I've always enjoyed the Codemasters F1 series with a gamepad. But when I got a DFGT I wanted more realisme. After which I started with RACE 07, and and quickly moved on to Iracing for 6 months, but it was waay to expensive and since then I've been looking for a good RACING sim. I've tried AC, but it needs a lot of work. I've tried Raceroom racing experience, decent AI, but physics and FFB not quite there yet. Then I stumbled upon GSCE which is very good and comes from the rFactor1 engine. So now I thought why not try rFactor2, and I have to say I'm blown away. I've only raced with clio's and it was fun, the AI even defends his position!
My favorite cars are open wheelers (mostly F1) and GT cars, but I have to say I enjoyed the FWD clio's :p.

Good tips about the skip barber, I've seen the video, and played the skippy's on Iracing. And indeed, I learned a lot of the basics in the skippy's :p.

I do need to learn how to set up my car. I am interested the RF2 bootcamp! I've read some intro's about setups, but I can never remember/understand what all the different options/settings do. Maybe I'll give it a shot now :).

Thanks for all the info! I think I'll start with the ferrari 458 ;).

@Anthony Machenil
We have very similar sim backgrounds.
Incl Codies F1 but Race Pro instead of Race 07 (same engine) and then RF1.

Yes to progress in a complete way set ups are something that will help you a lot.
In the meantime there are shared set ups here in RF2 section.

This one here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/emsbyvyx2cjnwha/Racer_Alex_Advanced_F1_SetupGuide.pdf?dl=0
is a superb guide. It might take 5-6 readings to take it all in but its the best one Ive found.
Certain things are not dealt with like 3rd spring and 3 way adjustable diff, but whats there is brilliant.

Pro tip-If the fronts are getting very hot mid corner you have understeer, the rears and you have oversteer.

Are there must have mods?
thx!

So to answer your question. No, you don't need any mods. :D

1 thing to keep in mind and it's confusing at first.

mods VS components

- Mods in the mod-manager are server mods. A mod is little file that contains server rules and a list of components used by the server. Those server mods can contain modifications upon the original components. You can find mods in single player mode if you click on "serie" (if you have them) You can select a series or a mod there ==> only content/components used by the mod will show. select "all car and track" to show all components.
those server mods will download upon server login.
(tip: always unistall and delete mods once the online race is over, you don't need any mods to enjoy the content/components offline)

- Components is content: cars and tracks.

Just get all the ISI components and enjoy. ;)

So to answer your question. No, you don't need any mods. :D

1 thing to keep in mind and it's confusing at first.

mods VS components

- Mods in the mod-manager are server mods. A mod is little file that contains server rules and a list of components used by the server. Those server mods can contain modifications upon the original components. You can find mods in single player mode if you click on "serie" (if you have them) You can select a series or a mod there ==> only content/components used by the mod will show. select "all car and track" to show all components.
those server mods will download upon server login.
(tip: always unistall and delete mods once the online race is over, you don't need any mods to enjoy the content/components offline)

- Components is content: cars and tracks.

Just get all the ISI components and enjoy. ;)

Euhm, what? :p I don't understand it.

I have added the ferrari challenge and other cars, some tracks of FSR etc. What you are saying is that these are components and not mods? Can you give me an example of a mod then?

Last edited:
Euhm, what? :p I don't understand it. So, I have added the ferrari challenge and other cars, some tracks of FSR etc. What you are saying is that these are components and not mods? Can you give me an example of a mod then?

Yes, cars and tracks are components, no mods. :)

- mods are used to set up a server:
Go online, click on a server and click on race.

If the server admin setup his server correctly: (all Racedepartment servers ;))
- the mod file will download from the server.
- rF2 will check if you have all necessary components the server/mod uses
- if you have missing components, it will ask you to download the missing components.

So if you want to enjoy rF2 online, you don't need to download and install components before entering the server. The cars and tracks will download and install upon server login.

After your online race: uninstall the mod file (series in single player mod) all the cars and tracks that are downloaded and installed will still be available.

At first: it's a lot of downloading missing components but once you have the most common components used online. It's going to be more easy.

Note: It's a hit and miss sometimes with reliable and well setup public servers. There are servers that uses crappy content, buggy mods or mod and components don't download at all. :sick:
All Racedepartment servers uses enjoyable up-to-date components (cars and tracks) and everything you need will download upon server login. :)

Another question.

I became a licensed member a while back. I've searched everywhere, but I can't seem to find the password for the racedepartment servers. Am I still a licensed member? When I do a google search I find a link for racedepartment, but I says I don't have the permission to view the page.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 428 39.7%