Pro-Sim H pattern shifter.

RCHeliguy

Premium
I almost pulled the trigger yesterday.

My only real complaint with the Fanatec CS 1.5 shifter is that I can't tighten the self center spring. I get over exuberant and go from 2nd to 5th sometimes.

However I understand the Pro-sim feels a lot better in most ways in addition to having fully adjustable center spring tension and engagement tension.

Does anyone have first hand experience comparing them?

I've seen Barry's review in Sim Racing Garage on YouTube. He seems pretty enthusiastic about it.

Man I'm on the fense right now on if I should buy it or not. I have a 1.5SQ right now and I'm pretty happy with it but I hate Fanatec as a company everything is overpriced for what it is and shipping... get bent pretty much. I need the usb adapter and cant get one for a week which with my schedule means I wont race for 2 or 3 weeks then.

I heard about their shift lock out a while back it sucks it's still not avalible.

Upvote 0
Man I'm on the fense right now on if I should buy it or not. I have a 1.5SQ right now and I'm pretty happy with it but I hate Fanatec as a company everything is overpriced for what it is and shipping... get bent pretty much. I need the usb adapter and cant get one for a week which with my schedule means I wont race for 2 or 3 weeks then.

I heard about their shift lock out a while back it sucks it's still not avalible.

The 1.5SQ is not overpriced and I would even say it is a great value. Unless you are unhappy with it for some reason, I would leave it be.

Upvote 0
The 1.5SQ is not overpriced and I would even say it is a great value. Unless you are unhappy with it for some reason, I would leave it be.

I dont think the 1.5sq is a bad deal I mean the rest of fanatec items mainly wheel base and wheels I dont like and seem overpriced. Theres also personal preference of not wanting my sim gear to look like cybertron lol. I rather be in more open ecosystems.

I'm not going to lie, if I get the pro sim and it isnt a pretty big difference I might end up a little disappointed. That said it's kind of that itch you need to scratch just to make sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Get SQ now and throw it out of the window when HE finally delivers their long promised H-Shifter.

Upvote 0
Get SQ now and throw it out of the window when HE finally delivers their long promised H-Shifter.
Apparently its cancelled but its not... the owner of HE said it may be 2 years, it may be 5 years I dont know.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Pro Sim just wish they would get their hydrolic lockout released that sounds like perfection.

Upvote 0
Apparently its cancelled but its not... the owner of HE said it may be 2 years, it may be 5 years I dont know.

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Pro Sim just wish they would get their hydrolic lockout released that sounds like perfection.
I'm linking a video of them testing their hydraulic lockout feature. Their Facebook post says "Test run with our hydarulic lock out cylinder mounted to one of our H patterns. We have the first batch of cylinders all machined and tested we now are finalising the software and performing endurance testing before release, there is no firm date on this but we are getting a lot closer now!"

Upvote 0
I'm linking a video of them testing their hydraulic lockout feature. Their Facebook post says "Test run with our hydarulic lock out cylinder mounted to one of our H patterns. We have the first batch of cylinders all machined and tested we now are finalising the software and performing endurance testing before release, there is no firm date on this but we are getting a lot closer now!"

Man that's awsome!! Yeah its settled tomorrow I'm buying one and when they get those units done I'll buy instantly.

Upvote 0
What was the total cost including the shipping, processing fee and conversion rate? I am curious because I am very tempted to jump in with this.
Sorry so late to reply. I'm not on this forum much. Dont know why? It's a great forum. Anyways my total cost to my door was $1692.35. It hurts to say it, lol. That said it will last forever. Plus high end gear seems to have great re-sale value.

Upvote 0
I dont think the 1.5sq is a bad deal I mean the rest of fanatec items mainly wheel base and wheels I dont like and seem overpriced. Theres also personal preference of not wanting my sim gear to look like cybertron lol. I rather be in more open ecosystems.

I'm not going to lie, if I get the pro sim and it isnt a pretty big difference I might end up a little disappointed. That said it's kind of that itch you need to scratch just to make sure.
The Prosim is a great shifter, and I really love it, the clunk and feel!
But it's not 7 times better than the SQ1.5, not even close. I think you will love it, but you pay a lot for those extra % of immersion.

Upvote 0
The Prosim is a great shifter, and I really love it, the clunk and feel!
But it's not 7 times better than the SQ1.5, not even close. I think you will love it, but you pay a lot for those extra % of immersion.

Yeah definitely not expecting order of magnitude better, I would just like it to feel a good bit closer to real so I think it will be okay. I was sold when I saw the video of the lockout being almost done. I put in my order yesterday.

Upvote 0
Yeah definitely not expecting order of magnitude better, I would just like it to feel a good bit closer to real so I think it will be okay. I was sold when I saw the video of the lockout being almost done. I put in my order yesterday.
Nice!
Yeah that lockout looks cool, wonder what the price will be though.
I've never driven a dogbox so can't say, and I think that is the feeling they are going for. Would be interesting to hear from someone that have tried both a irl dogbox shifter and the prosim to compare them!
It don't feel like any irl cars I've driven.

Upvote 0
I have had my shifter up and running for a few days now. I am extremely pleased with it. I think it is well worth the coin I dropped on it. As has been mentioned many times in this thread, it is all relative to the individual and their circumstances. It is a much better experience for me with this upgraded shifter.

Upvote 0
I wonder how that experimental lockout on the Prosim will work. Is it only linked with the clutch, or does it use full game telemetry? Assetto Corsa and LFS have a pretty nice shifting model.
Does it lock only in neutral, or in gears too? Too bad, games are not ready for this yet.

Upvote 0
I wonder how that experimental lockout on the Prosim will work. Is it only linked with the clutch, or does it use full game telemetry? Assetto Corsa and LFS have a pretty nice shifting model.
Does it lock only in neutral, or in gears too? Too bad, games are not ready for this yet.

As I understand it you don't need game support.
You simply map your clutch pedal with software so that the lockout doesn't release until you have depressed your clutch pedal enough. It simply engages and disengages based on the clutch pedal position which is a pretty simple setup. It physically interacts with the h pattern shifter so there is no software needed there.

I'm assuming based on where it is mounted that it just directly connects to the tension adjustment for putting it in and out of gear.

Upvote 0
This lock out feature can be retrofitted to Pro-sim H shifters bought before its release. The lock out feature will also be available on their sequential shifter. Heres a link to Pro-sim website. https://www.pro-sim.co.uk/shop/sequential-shifter/#tab-description
I've copied n pasted here. A description of the lock out feature. I posted Pro-sims video of testing this feature earlier in this thread
HYDRAULIC SHIFT LOCK MECHANISM EXPLAINED (OPTIONAL EXTRA CAN BE RETRO FITTED)
The main problem with all shifters on the market at the moment is that you cannot simulate missed gears nor have any interaction with the software. For this to be accurate it also needs to simulate the different type of gearboxes for dog engagement and also synchromesh:
syncro-dog

Synchromesh:
A synchromesh gearbox is what you would commonly find in your road car. This type of gear is engaged using cones to match the speed of the gears and then held in place with multiple ‘teeth’. With this type of gearbox there is virtually no play when in gear but there is a lot of surface area with load on holding the gear in place. Because of the load on the teeth and the fact there is not much space the gear needs to be doing almost exactly the same speeds to be able to engage and this is what the cones do but they cannot overcome the engine brake without doing damage to the gearbox and so the clutch is needed for all changes.
Dog engagement:
A dog engagement box is what you will commonly find in race cars and on most sequential gearboxes. This type of gear usually has 3 to 6 ‘dogs’ on each gear and there is a lot of free space for them to engage this means there is normally quite a lot of play when in gear and why you often see race cars juddering forward and backwards when going down the pitlane. When you are driving fast this is not an issue as you are pushing on one side of the dog for acceleration or braking rather than hovering in the middle, this is also why they are not suitable for daily use on the road. When shifting gears because of the space between the gears normally there can be up to a 900rpm difference in gear speeds and the gear will still go in, because of this you do not need the clutch. To make a gear change you need to reduce the load on the dogs so that it can released, this is normally done by just lifting the throttle on the up change. To change down a gear there is already a reduction in load that is sufficient you just need to blip the throttle so that you do not lock the rear wheels or cause unnecessary wear on the gearbox.

HOW THIS TRANSLATES TO OUR SOLUTION
With our solution we are able to replicate both types of shifting accurately; more importantly for dog engagement you are able to pull the lever very hard when accelerating and you will not be able to change gears but as soon as you lift it will go in. This was very important for us to achieve because is most race situations a gear change in a sequential box would happen by preloading the lever first and it was the number one priority this was achievable. Gear changes are done this way to reduce the shift time as you only need to lift until you feel it go in and quite often gear changes will be made with 30% throttle still applied so there is no loss in engine torque.
For the synchromesh option you will not be able to shift gears unless the clutch is pushed, you will however be able to preload the lever prior to pushing the clutch the same as the dog engagement box.
Our solution allows preload because we are using a proper hydraulic system rather than just a cheap solenoid. This is critical because using something like a solenoid means if you apply preload and then activate it you would need to release the force before the solenoid would activate, a problem not encountered with hydraulics.
The rest of the shifter shares a very similar design to our original shifter and the mechanical feel will be exactly the same we have just changed to the latest components Quaife use in all the current sequential gearboxes. This shifter is just as strong as the old one and will take a lot of abuse without the fear of breaking anything. We also have a clear perspex cover so that you can see every gear change and how the whole system works.
This shifter can be directly bolted underneath using 4 M8 bolts or alternatively you can bolt our attachment plate to the shifter and bolt through the 4 holes from the top into your setup.

Anyone looking for Pedals to match the quality of this H shifter. You may would be interested in Pro-sims hydraulic Pedal set, Pro-sim Evo's. Ive seen several comment that the brake in particular is the best commercially available. I know their trick "caliper" setup using belleville washer stacks is almost infinitely adjustable. So many combinations that you should be able to simulate the braking feel of any car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a really nice explanation, however there are still some things I don't understand completely.
It reads throttle input at acceleration for dog mode, but what about engine braking? Does it require you to blip the throttle to downshift?
I still don't know how games will handle it. Assetto Corsa will be required to be used in syncromesh mode, because it has its own set of rules for clutchless shifting.
rFactor 2 could utilize dogbox h-shifters because it has no limitation in-game.

Another question: How common is it for real life racecars to use dogbox and H-pattern? Can anyone say some examples?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing