Pricing of Fanatec gear

Do you think it is reasonable? Because I mean their shifter costs as much as Logitech 29 wheel and I think it should be similar to what G25 costed back in the day and I have been using it for more than 10 years now, still working fine. So for that I would expect to have shifter with some kind of force feedback, the same goes for the pedals.

I think pricing on any product from cars, houses or a loaf of bread is very subjective and they're all only worth what people are willing to pay.
As it seems there is high demand for Fanatec products with people willing to pay my thoughts are yes they are overpriced, but the market says no, they are not.
If the availability is there, we the consumer are the only ones that can influence lower prices by simply saying I'm not paying that much.
Strength in numbers kind of thing but that won't happen as people keep paying $500+ for a CSL.
My T150 gets me around the track pretty fast, and has been doing so for 5000 hours of use without a cough.

Upvote 0
I just ordered the new fanatec limited edition wheel at 520 Aussie bucks and i thought that was very reasonable for what it is. Was happy to shell out 1600 for the dd1 as well but I think the dd2 is too expensive.

Upvote 0
Hm yeah, I guess if market is okay with such prices, but what I am thinking is not that they should make it cheaper it is that they could put more technology into it for that price.

Upvote 0
As far as i'm aware, there's not too many brands competing in the same "segment" as Fanatec, so that may be one reason they get away with a higher price tag. Coming from a G27 I've been using Fanatec gear for about 3 years now and IMO you can't really compare the two, but that's just my 2 cents :)

Upvote 0
The fanatec shifter is a big lump of metal. The cost goes into the quality of materials, there is no comparison with the budget plastic stuff. There's nothing particularly wrong with the plastic stuff it's good value for money, but stuff made out of metal is just going to be able to take more abuse and last much longer than the plastic stuff.

I bought the clubsport V2.5 for the very reason it was made of metal, I knew I was paying a premium for the metal casing, I could have bought the CSL and saved money but I knew that it just couldn't last as long as the Clubsport.

I don't know that there's any other company in Fanatec price bracket. Thrustmaster have some stuff but Fanatecs range of wheels and other accessories kind of make Fanatecs gear better IMO.

Fanatec don't have a huge amount of competition in their section of the market, that's probably true. Although they have a difficult position in that they don't appeal to newcomers that don't know much about gear, because of price. They are only breaking into the high end market. So they mostly have that middle of the road part of the market where customers have already tried the cheap stuff and are deciding how much money to spend on an upgrade.

Still, Fanatec offer a good jump in performance over budget gear, the gear is well made, feels like high quality. If you want any better your going to have to spend twice as much money again and I don't think that the difference between the fanatec clubsport and DD wheels is as big as the difference between Fanatec and budget gear.

Upvote 0
Metal wins. Lack of metal is the only reason I've held off buying the McLaren GT3 rim and it looks like the new formula rim is probably a better choice for me.

When it comes to the H-shifter, the Fanatec is definitely worth the price compared to Logitech. The engagement is much crisper and can be adjusted. At the moment, I'm still using my G25 shifter because I haven't mounted the Fanatec onto my rig yet despite it being here for over a month (sigh, priorities).

Upvote 0
Like many of us when I first got hooked on sim racing and realized I needed a wheel and pedals I jumped on the Logitech bandwagon. I was well served by their products and felt I received value for my money. I would look at the Fanatec website and was just floored by the prices but gradually realized I wanted some gear that was not toy-like. Now I use a V2.5 wheel base, SQ shifter, V3 pedals, and a Universal Hub with an old Momo wheel from my 5 series BMW. It was a stretch to spend the dollars at the time and, no, my wife still doesn't know how much the stuff cost but guess what? The gear looks, works, and feels so much better than my Logitech products that my enjoyment of the hobby has advanced way beyond the dollars I spent.
Someone very smart once said that "real quality remains long after price is forgotten."

Upvote 0
Don't think their pricing isn't bad, but their shipping rates are astronomical.

I was watching a set of pedals on eBay and decided to see your much to get the brake performance kit shipped to Canada. Their quoted shipping cost was the same as the kit itself.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to have doubts about the quality being proportional to the price.
I've been using my old G27 gear for more than 10 years now, and even though some bits of it seem "toyish" (as some put it), it's always reliable.
I have in the past bought a set of Fanatec CSP v1 pedals, they look great and when they work, I start to think it was worth the extra cost. However, it's been a love / hate relationship as the pedals are continually losing calibration and requiring maintainance and replacement parts. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to haul out my trusty G27 pedals to have a race.
I also purchased a Fanatec Porsche Wheel, again it looks better quality, but it lasted about a year before bits started failing. Again, had to go back to the reliable G27.
Now, I've just taken the plunge into a more "up market" wheel, a Thrustmaster TS-PC. Looks great and can't wait to use it. BUT, so far I've had it for a month and yet to drive with it. It is spending most of it's time being shipped between me and the distributor because I can't get it to work.

Sooo, I'd be happy to pay extra for the quality, if only they were as reliable as the much more affordable G27 etc.

Upvote 0
I have a TH8A and wish I got the Fanatec shifter, it's wroth it from what I've seen. I'm really happy with my Fanatec pedals, going strong for years. Just picked up a CSL Elite wheel, fingers crossed it's as reliable as my DFGT.

Upvote 0
I am not a Fanatec fanboy at this minute but had both TH8A shifter and the Fanatec one. Only advantage of the Fanatec shifter is the quick switch between H pattern and sequential.
Yes its chunky but the shift in to 8th gear on a Fanatec shifter is virtually impossible in race conditions. (not that 8th gets used much).
Currently waiting on the Heusinveld H/Sq shifter to be ready. Then will be selling my Fanatec one.

Upvote 0
Yes its chunky but the shift in to 8th gear on a Fanatec shifter is virtually impossible in race conditions. (not that 8th gets used much).
I tend to think of the Fanatec's top gear as an alternate Reverse gear location since you have to push down to select it.

Currently waiting on the Heusinveld H/Sq shifter to be ready. Then will be selling my Fanatec one.
Don't blame you. It would be my preference, too.

Upvote 0
One thing Ive noticed about Fanatec is they do hold their value very well. Hell, I just watched a USED set of CSL Elite pedals sell on ebay for 10.00 more than they could have bought them for brand new straight from Fanatec... People are mad I tell yah!

Upvote 0
One thing Ive noticed about Fanatec is they do hold their value very well. Hell, I just watched a USED set of CSL Elite pedals sell on ebay for 10.00 more than they could have bought them for brand new straight from Fanatec... People are mad I tell yah!

Yeah, I see that often, especially on UK ebay and can't understand why is that

Upvote 0
My thoughts on Fanatec Gear ( All my gear is Fanatec with the exception of the Shifter wich is that endurance tested TH8a shifter, so I will try to be as impartial as I can be writting this.

I started out "sim racing" back in Gran Turismo 3 when my dad bought me a logitech Driving force pro i believe, I got hooked imediatly to it, then came out Gran Turismo 4, at the time for a console it was amazing. I tried out a few times Grand Prix legends on PC, but i was a kid, and altough it was challeging, because of the graphics compared to GT4, i prefered playing on the PS2 a lot more. (stupid of me I know). Then came the PS3 with GT5, and i decided it was time to get a proper wheel, silly me tought that a proper wheel as a G27 haha (don't get me wrong it served me well!!!) I played a lot of it on the console but i was beggining to become bored of it and wanted more, thats when i founf out about rF1 back in 2010 and imediatly jumped to the PC with my faithfull G27. I simraced on the PC in rF1, also got into IRacing aswell and then around 2013 i started watching ISR and founf this brand called Fanatec with they're porsche wheels and stuff and i though it was over priced. Then they released the CSV 1, with the quick release wheels and stuff and I was like, " Man this thing must be really good". I tried it out once, but because i was a student i couldn't afford one, so i kept on going with the g27.
I stopped sim racing for a while, and got back to it recently ( mid 2017) with my G27 and this time with a second hand playseat ) because i started working, i decided to buy a pair of Fanatec V3 Pedals, and the diference was night and day, they are expensive yes, but its so much better then Logitech or thrustmaster pedals. Full metal construction, load cell, all the goodies. There are much much more Professional gear out there, but Fanatec IMO is top of the consumer range for Simracing.
I got afterwards a CSL Elite with a formula rim, didn't put it on the playseat, got rid of that and got a Simetik K2 for more serious driving.

All of this writting is to say that, if you have the Cash, don't be affraid of Fanatec Stuff, they have quality, and you pay what you get.
The reason why they are more expensive then Thrusmaster for example is beacuse IMO they make a better product, like I said before, Fanatec gear is the final stop before entering the professional simulation gear, where you find heusinvekd, Derek spear pedals, ricmotech hidraulic pedals, direct drive wheels, all those Goodies :)

Fanatec now released they're podium series, wich i believe is aimed at more "professional" audience, we have already seen those plug n play DD wheels, lets see what they release pedal wise for the podium series.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 197 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing