Preview MMG's Renault Clio Cup for GTR Evolution

My first real shot at this whole review thing, so don't expect a Rhyssie :)

MMG's Reanult Clio Cup:

When Eric told me to "preview this mod or I'll break your legs with a teapot" naturally I accepted. I drove a while around the Brand Hatch Indy circuit and instantaneously I knew this was special. Not your regular conversion, oh no. No siree! This was purified, French hatchback fun! While I was working with an early build of the mod, I could see that this is definately a mod to watch, and if the F1 mods were anything to go by, the quality and attention to detail will shine through the wittle Cwio :angel2:

Visual Quality/Details:
As I mentioned before, I am working with an early build of the mod. Although there are some things unfinished, it actually looks great. I chose the Red Clio (Che Guevara) because I love red and hate onions. I use 6e66o's cubemaps for GTR Evolution to help give the cars that extra layer of "Glory be, that is awesome" and the car just looked fantastic. Textures are sharp and the models are not edgy or rough. When viewing as a spectator, it just looks on par with any other car I've driven in this game (as we can expect from MMG). The interior is not as great. Some textures were a little off, but the modelling in the cockpit was the same story with the exterior; very good.

Sounds:
From the interior, the sounds are great, but they sound similar to other classes. But that's not a bad thing by any means, it's just that most cars sound the same to me from the inside. Now, as I drove a lap from the swingman view, I was stunned. The sounds are some of the best I've heard... Ever. Rather than a monotonous fart* that is relayed thousands of times a second, it actually sounds like a heavily modified Clio should. The tuned engine and new exhaust give off high pitched rumble and I honestly thought it was real, especially if you close your eyes while driving (not advised). Chew on that you flatulant little Mini!

Physics/General Feel:
Here we go, lads and lassies, the big category! Ok, first off I will say this now. This mod is and always will be compared to the Minis. It's the first thing I thought when I left the pitbox. I can safely say that after clocking in a gazillion laps (not really) that I find this more fun than the Minis! Please don't hit me Andrew :th_sur: The car is a beginners type of car. Near impossible to spin and has oodles of grip. Despite this being a FWD car, it feels pretty nippy, turns well and is pretty quick too. Even with the beginner style physics, I can see sim veterans whom have won more open wheel championships than egg-and-spoon races get a laugh out of this. But there is an issue with this approachable physics design. It's pretty easy... If there's one thing I like, it's a car that can strangle you and throw you over the barrier and into an endless pit, but somehow I didn't expect this from the Clios. But still, like in the Minis, you'd like a bit of oversteer if you put a cinderblock on the throttle in corners... If you happened to have a cinderblock in the car which you intended to hurdle at another driver during club races (again, not advised). I can see some multiple track shot-type events work well with this. Because it doesn't rely entirely on skill or setup (not a hugely wide variety of setup options) so everyone will be close to eachother. Infact, Andrew Evans had a great idea of merging Clios and Minis in events... To create the CLINNI! Muahaha!!

Conclusion of sorts:
I luuuurve this mod. If you went to a mod showroom, this would be cheap and cheerful. Simple fun, but a lot of it. You honestly can't go wrong with this mod. I can see this follow the Mini's route: regular events, skinpacks and a tihsload of TS chatter. Frankly, I cannot wait until the mod goes Gold. I mean, everyone loves driving a red clio in the guise of Che Guevara! :D

Scory things:
Visuals/Details: :pizza2::pizza2::pizza2::pizza2:
Sound: :pizza2::pizza2::pizza2::pizza2::pizza2:
Physics: :pizza2::pizza2::pizza2::pizza2:
Fun Factor: :pizza2::pizza2::pizza2::pizza2::pizza2:
Community potential: :pizza2::pizza2::pizza2::pizza2::pizza2:

Overall: :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

9 cats! Not bad for a first preview (yes, preview. So these scores are subject to change after future releases, this is really just to give you an idea of what to expect). Because I am in a good mood today, I will also give this mod a butterfly and Pacman carrying an Australian flag :msn::aus:

Thanks for reading :)

*For those of you who don't know what a "fart" is, read here: [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fart[/ame]

Attachments

• 7-4-2renault_logo.jpg
    7-4-2renault_logo.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Clio1.jpg
    Clio1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 526
  • Clio2.jpg
    Clio2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 472

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?