pretty new to sim racing...

Hi there,

A month ago I purchased the Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia racing wheel, and I have been playing Forza 5 since then on my Xbox One, I would like to play PC racing games also but, as my computer is a little bit old, I can not run the latest sims (Assetto, Rfactor 2, and so on) to my like right now. I am planning to upgrade my PC next year but, until then, I want to get started in this "sim racing world" (Forza 5 is not enough) so I bought on Steam (incredible price, I have to say) the bundle with GTR, GTR 2, GT Legends, Race 07 and expansions…

Unfortunately I won’t have time enough to play all games, so I would like to put all my effort just in one, I guess Race 07 is the best option as it is the newer (probably graphics and gameplay will be better) but I also read GTR 2 or even GT Legends are great choices… so, what do you guys think? Race 07 all the way?

Cheers! ;-)

Race07 is my favorite, still. Love the way you can fine tune the FFB in Race07. Having a couple hundred tracks available also makes it a winner. GT Legends is a close second. I have AC, rfactor2, GSC 2013 and more, but I prefer the earlier SimBin titles. I have a powerhouse Alienware PC, so its not lack of power that keeps me playing the Race07.

Race 07 isn't the latest, greatest, nor does it have the lustre of a brand new product but the core, the good graphics, physics and ffb all give a great driving experience. You won't feel second class driving any of the car classes or any of SimBins well prepared tracks. Good Choice!

Since you've been racing for a while, I expect that you'll be looking for a free RD racing licence so you can join us for some friendly and competitive club racing! Get your application here.

of the titles you have posted, race 07 probably give you the best balance of default content variety, mod choice, and possibility of online racing.

GTL and GTR2 are fantastic package and would be worth returning to at a later date, but online play has pretty much dried up now.

if you're looking for offline only then really you canpick and choose. They are very similar in terms of physics and they feel natural enough if you've run any of the others. the most developed of course being race07 but then GTR2 will you a driving school, championship with full enduro race lengths (can be saved during the race) and night racing.

WOW! Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I will be playing Race 07 (I didn't install any mod just yet, any recommendation?) along with Forza 5 from now on and, although my driving skills are still a little bit too raw, I will keep an eye in the RD License and apply for it once I develop some confidence to race online (I am not talented enough to win races, but you know, I don't want to ruin anyone race either)…

Cheers! ;-)

Club races are just for fun and training. It's the place to go if you don't want to get into the serious leagues. We'll all enjoy your company regardless of how quick you are and if you're on TeamSpeak there;'s a good chance you can learn a lot.

Just saying, driving online is not a big deal.

WOW! Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I will be playing Race 07 (I didn't install any mod just yet, any recommendation?) along with Forza 5 from now on and, although my driving skills are still a little bit too raw, I will keep an eye in the RD License and apply for it once I develop some confidence to race online (I am not talented enough to win races, but you know, I don't want to ruin anyone race either)…

Cheers! ;-)

The racing clubs are a great way to develop your skills. Don'tr worry about being slow or wining. The speed and results come with practice. If you can get yourself on Teamspeak, guys will help you out and answer your questions. You'll be able to watch them and their lines etc. I held of racing online for a long time. Honestly it's the best think I ever did. The public servers suck but in an environment like RD you'll find that your skills will improve exponentially with all the help and support that's available.

Yesterday evening I spent my first hour with the game, I am very confused just yet (used to Forza in the Xbox) but the gameplay really impresed me, it looks really promising (now I can understand why yo guys still play this game after so many years), but you know, everything is way too new for me (paradojic, isn't it? haha), is there any thread where I can go to get some information for a newbie like me?

I would feel ashamed if I ask all the questions that I have in mind, but anyway I hope It will be clearer (especially which settings to use) once I spend more time with it...

Cheers! ;-)

I just started out with Race 07 myself about 6 months ago. Like you, I was a console racer. Forza, Gran Turismo, etc..

When I figured out the interface, and really put some time into running laps on world class race tracks, I found it hard to go back to the consoles.

There is something special about the Simbin titles. Something special about the websites/forums dedicated to the series. Everyone is really friendly, and enthusiastic about this game. Its pretty cool.

Last couple of weeks I didn’t have too much time to play Race 07 but I was able to try several cars in different tracks to have a better idea, I will abuse your kindness and will ask some questions though…

Driving Aids:
I would like to run with the setup potentially fastest (even though at the beginning it will be difficult for me to keep the car in the asphalt). I have set to OFF the ABS, Stability Help and Traction Control but I don’t know if that is definitely the way to go, as I guess some of the cars use some of these aids in the real world?

The only thing I left is Auto Clutch, that’s because I don’t have (yet) a clutch in my pedals set, anyway, should I map the clutch to a button in the wheel? That is not realistic in my book but I don’t know whether you can be a little bit quicker that way in this game as in Forza Motorsports…

Camera View:
I don’t like the cockpit camera as I find it somehow unnatural to watch two wheels, the mine one and the one in the car, so I prefer the Hood view also in this game, is there a reason I should use the cockpit camera? (It seems most of the people prefer this view, but not me)

Telemetry:
I can not find it! Is it there in the game or via an add-on / external application?

Driving Technique:
I am no expert whatsoever but finding out I have read about the Heel and Toe. This is something applicable in Race 07? I don’t have clutch yet (I am comfortable using paddles for shifting) but I hope I will upgrade my pedals soon. so should I practice this technique? It is possible to do it with auto clutch?

Control Settings:
I have been playing around but I am not completely happy with then just yet. Any recommendation for (Steering, Throttle, Brake…) Sensitivity and Force Feedback setup? Or perhaps this is a very personal issue until you find the one you are more comfortable with by trial and error…

Cheers! ;-)

My opinions:
Driving aids,
Leave everything off but auto clutch. None are supported in Club racing, not just by us but by most online. You'll be a better driver for it.
Clutch, you can assign a button or keystroke for a clutch but it's only used when starting from the garage or if you come to a stop on track without pressing clutch. There is no discernible difference in driving using a clutch or auto clutch except for realism. Using auto clutch and starting a race, leave the car in neutral until the lights go out then punch first gear.

Camera view,
Did you know that you can turn off the steering wheel so you are looking at the dash through your wheel? Some online races are run in "cockpit only" mode. Drivers choice on POV and FOV.

Telemetry,
The game has none installed but there are various addon's to provide more info while driving than the game shows and also realtime monitoring and data scavenging that can be read after a driving session.

Driving technique and control settings
We have the worlds most synchronous gearbox installed in every one of our cars. Heel and toe are not necessary. There are drivers that use it, you can too, just do it. Left foot braking, go for it, 270 degrees of steering wheel rotation or 900 your choice. As far as sensitivities, these are for you to determine what is best for you, trial and error there.Find what works for you or what is the most "realistic".

It's not that difficult, just drive :)

Good evening :)

Driving Aids:
I'd suggest turning everything off as this is the setting most servers (including RD's server, if I'm not mistaken) use. Your comment on reallife-ABS etc does indeed pose an interesting point - for example, Assetta Corsa does exactly that and doesn't even allow one to disable certain aids on cars that actually have them.
With R07 however, you would have to switch your settings for every other car and as mentioned, servers usually go "all off".
Apart from Auto Clutch, that is :D I have it mapped to a button, but only use it for starts, pits and the like - so not sure about a potential advantage time-wise, sorry.

Camera View:
Personally, I'm always using cockpit view, but I guess that's preference - regarding the wheel, there's an option in.. I think gameplay settings that allows you do disable the in-game wheel (using that myself :)).
If cockpit view still feels unnatural, try (likely decreasing) adjusting your FoV :)

edit: damnit, Dennis ;P

I'd add just one thing: I'd recommend using FF settings that you can download from nogripracing, just google "feels real G25 FFB for GTR EVO" and follow the instructions. Even though they're for the G25 I've been using it for my Driving Force Pro. They make a massive difference for me. Quote from the author explains a bit: "you get more information about the mass transfer of the vehicle as opposed to only getting information about the grip of the tires. Also the forces you feel from the tires are now being generated 100% by the front wheels. You can still feel what the rear tires are doing but the forces now come from the mass of the car acting on the steering rack instead of the grip of the tires."

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Now I can be more assertive with my driving and will enjoy the game much more. I am still a good handful of seconds off the peace, but hopefully I will be more confident and able to join you for some online racing soon...

Cheers! ;-)

The sensitivities should be at 50%.

Also, protip, if you're driving a FWD WTCC, set your brake bias to 51:49, and then adjust as needed. Better braking and you can trailbrake into corners, instead of locking up and destroying front tires. :)

but hopefully I will be more confident and able to join you for some online racing soon...

Cheers! ;-)
Hi Drivatar. Just jump in, don't worry. Although I'm not new to sim racing (although I was a big Forza player like you, but since playing Race 07 it feels like an arcade game), I am new here and I had my first race last week. It was a great experience. Come join in!

Thank you Alex. I will do it eventually but as I am a very big football/soccer fan, the next month I will be quite "busy" with the world cup (starting today) during my leisure time, anyway if find some room I will try to join you for some racing, I guess it is good to have always a sweeper car, haha...

Cheers! ;-)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back