PrestoGP Off Season Fun Events

David Turnbull

PrestoGP Veteran
Hi guys,

lets discuss any fun events for us to have during this off season, hopefully we can have a couple of diffrent cars and tracks that make it intresting for all.

ive heard the green hell mentioned so its a no brainer we should have a race there soon, its obviously not one can seriously race in a season so lets have some fun with it in the meantime.

kennett could obviously come up with something too from his list of creations (no crazy micro machine jumping looping things please :D )

cars to be used, would be good to have a mix of maybe slow to fast, old to new, suggestions welcomed.

this helps also to keep us active and together during the quiet times so if you possibly can, participate in the discussion and events it will be alot of fun for all.

I think for Nords it's worth sticking to familiar cars. The F3000 seems an obvious choice for this, and probably isn't a bad one for Nords. It doesn't really require the precision and reactions MMG F1 does, for instance, which is merciful on a circuit as long as Nords.

We could also do a race in @Kennett Ylitalo 's GP2 mod, a place for everyone to give that a proper go and see how the car races in anger too. :)

i think both of those suggestions sound very good, id be well up for driving nords with f3000, we know the cars inside out, most of us will know the track, could be great fun even just practising that combination, hotlap times could get quite exciting too, jeez im excited by it already and nothings agreed :D my pc is down atm, psu gave up the ghost after 8 years (salute to hiper type r) so im using an old pc thats lets me watch youtube on a good day lol new psu on way, comes tomorrow or tuesday so i think ill have a few runs on that combo regardless when im back up and running.

kennetts mod sounds intrestign too so id be all for giving it a try at some stage, preferably on a track we know well though so we dont have too much to get used to, id rather evaluate the car only and not have to get used to a new track.

About GP2 mod: It's in highly experimental phase and only testing it will show what needs to be done. I can pack it up and upload the recent version. Don't think it's ready for full length racing yet but 20-30 minute format is a possibility. Tyre model is so much different to what Race07 originally has and i have pretty much only my own tests to rely on and i haven't done anything beyond 20 laps yet (didn't want to drive too much on it during the season...)

GP2013 beta v 1.01: https://copy.com/CxgsOChFlKRgBrLZ
(move FormulaRR folder out from GameData\Teams before launching the game to avoid conflicts, they use a lot of the same files....)

Soft compound is the most ready, medium and hard are derivatives from that. The final model will have individual slip curves for all compounds. Wet compounds and wet parameters for dry compounds are not researched yet. Other than those, it's a pretty much finished but like you can imagine, tires in F1/GP2 type of cars takes the longest to finish. All other factors of the vehicle is easy: just use math and telemetry. With tires, the resolution is very small, we are talking about 2% over change in grip thru three compounds, 0.00001% changes in tire temperatures so only way to do it is: just drive.

It is fully dynamic, no minimum grip limits, no speed effects, everything is calculated on the fly.

PS: A friendly warning, it takes just couple of corners to push the tires over their optimum temperature range (105C soft/medium 103C Hard) and you need to properly load them to get to maximum grip. Unsettled car will bite you in the ass.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention one important detail: tire wear is NOT linear. I tried my best to get them to operate like a normal slick tire would, that is, you have the best grip out from the box but not the best temperature. After that, the grip does not drop in linear fashion, you can easily put them to 50% but after that, the grip WILL drop fast. Around 75% wear you still have 90% grip. No slick tire will work like Race07 default: you rub 10% of the rubber, it does not lose 10% of it's grip... So don't be afraid that soft compound will look like it's destroyed, trust your feel of the car. That linearity has destroyed most of the tire models used so far.

Here are few basic setups, Monza (lol.svm), A1 (aasdas.svm) and Nordsleife (damn, that is a hoot to drive there).

Attachments

• lol.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 321
  • aasdas.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 292
  • nords.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
heres a hotlap of nords after my first hours practise, its a great combo, loads of time to come, a couple of mistakes in the lap and hit the wall last turn but decent time id imagine, could be 5 secs to come or 25 thats the beauty of nords :)

heres also first attempt at setup for it, 6th gear drones a bit so might need sorting, rest feels fairly good, started as seans monza setup :thumbsup:

Attachments

• GreenBull Racing Nords 1.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 285
5:59 is a good time, i could do 5:50 on my GP2 mod...

PS: This time next week, you may be able to call me by the title: game developer ;) And i might need some alpha testers, so i'll keep you guys informed. Can't say anything more than this and if all goes well, that is all i can say in the future in public. I can say this: it's been one hell of a day.

heres a hotlap of nords after my first hours practise, its a great combo, loads of time to come, a couple of mistakes in the lap and hit the wall last turn but decent time id imagine, could be 5 secs to come or 25 thats the beauty of nords :)

heres also first attempt at setup for it, 6th gear drones a bit so might need sorting, rest feels fairly good, started as seans monza setup :thumbsup:

I have a question about hot lapping on the server:

Is it exceptionally allowed to drive backwards in the pits and start a flying lap immediately?

I have to give in I did so yesterday, when I discovered that driving a few outlaps just to make an early mistake in the flying lap is a real big fun killer at this super long track. What do you guys think? I mean this time it's a fun event.

If the majority agrees, I'll post my effort from yesterday's test run (lap time, video, setup). If not, I'll try to drive the best possible lap after an outlap and let you know about the outcome afterwards. (Could take a while :whistling:)

PS: Could we have a separate thread for the Nordschleife, for example called "Nordschleife: F3000 fun event preparation thread" and get the related posts moved there? Looks like it's gonna happen somewhen. :) (hope it's not asked for too much)

I think so Reik , I downloaded the 1991 mod sounds and mirror fix from the links in 1st post. Haven't tried it yet though to make sure.

I think coming out reverse Nords would be fine as long as we have a check on anyone coming.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 79 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 57 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 64 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.6%