Preserving suede w/ gloves...

This may be a dumb question, but what keeps the (acidic) oil from your hands from saturating the gloves over time and ending up on the wheel anyway? At least the “breathable” ones like the Sparco hypergrips.

Would true racing/karting gloves maintain a barrier? Any certain type or brand? I would assume any perforations on the palm are a no go.

Regardless, (suede) leather absorbs oils so how would gloves would make a huge difference after they’ve been worn in? Once the glove is saturated I can’t see how it’s any different than your hand - other than less dirt. Maybe the oil never makes it all the way through, or very slowly?

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question, but what keeps the (acidic) oil from your hands from saturating the gloves over time and ending up on the wheel anyway? At least the “breathable” ones like the Sparco hypergrips.

Would true racing/karting gloves maintain a barrier? Any certain type or brand? I would assume any perforations on the palm are a no go.
It might be a dumb answer but I wash my gloves from time to time.

I've recently purchased an alcantara wheel and am throwing caution to the wind and not using gloves. I don't feel I need them or want to start. I'm cleaning the wheel every few weeks with warm water and a microfiber cloth and it's still as good as new (for now!).

Alcantara strikes me as more durable than suede. I used to run the formula v2 without gloves and they cleaned up great. Virtually zero permanent flat spotting or fabric pilling.

I’m sure they suede depends on the wheel to an extent, but my cube controls Sparco p310 and simracingbay gt3 wheels are both very ‘plush’ (read: destined for the trash bin without some form of intervention).

It might be a dumb answer but I wash my gloves from time to time.

Well, on one hand I’m thrilled to have been shown an obvious solution. On the other, a bit of self hatred for publicly realizing how much of a complete slob I am.

Alcantara strikes me as more durable than suede. I used to run the formula v2 without gloves and they cleaned up great. Virtually zero permanent flat spotting or fabric pilling.

I’m sure they suede depends on the wheel to an extent, but my cube controls Sparco p310 and simracingbay gt3 wheels are both very ‘plush’ (read: destined for the trash bin without some form of intervention).

Well, on one hand I’m thrilled to have been shown an obvious solution. On the other, a bit of self hatred for publicly realizing how much of a complete slob I am.
Sometimes the brain is simply OFF :roflmao:
I'm using this kind of gloves:

to protect the Alcantara of my T300RS. The gloves are in use for over to years now and they're still in good shape. There are a lot better gloves out there but price/quality is really fine.

BTW: At this moment I'm stitching up my steering wheel because the seam at the left side became off :cry:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back