Practice race at Monza, Wednesday 7th of September

Nicolai is right, after the race I was worried in a similar sense that the police were going to be knocking on the door in respect to what may be said about me. When I spun out, I thought that being only a practise race it wouldn't hurt as its only fun and I really wanted to put the pressure back on to Christian, I swear I would not of done this if it was the real race and i'm really sorry for any upset i've caused. :frown:

After Christian said stop cutting, first thing I thought was how the heck can you type and drive? lol then I also realised that there were plenty of laps left that I could've used to catch him up but even after I stopped cutting I was still gaining on him but before I lost it again in the parabolica, I lost interest due to negative vibe I felt I'd already created which was throwing my concentration off, so again i'm sorry for any upset I caused.

While it is a "practice" race, think of it as an opportunity to improve the quality of our championship races. For the sake of consistency, I try not to do anything in a practice start or practice race that I wouldn't do in a point-scoring race.

I barely made it to the practice race, it starts at 2PM local time so I have to get my work done faster on Wednesdays. :cool:

I found a really good rhythm two-stopping on soft slicks, tires not wearing too bad, but seriously need to practice my pit stops, did really ugly things there.

Nice 360 Valter...:cool:

Are we all going to respect the white line running along the pit lane?
And for that matter, are we all going the respect the pit lane line at the pit exit down to turn 1?

I am so sorry for being absent... My illness doesn't allow to race at the moment. Hope to be well in few days to get ready for my lovely MONZA
cool.png

Get well soon m8.

And for that matter, are we all going the respect the pit lane line at the pit exit down to turn 1?

i always run with 2 wheels on the track at that point same as any other place, the track is still defined by the white line so should be treated the same as the 2 wheel rule

i dont think this is as important, id say if someone was coming down the straight that you could possibly interfere with then yes stay within the pit lane exit line, but if its clear to go for it then i dont see why its a problem.

Nice 360 Valter...:cool:

The 360 was very silly indeed, thanks. :eek:

Yes we will respect pit lane exit rules (my opinion). Or do a drive through (speed limit on).
The Presto cutting rule is at least two wheels inside, or at least on the white line, at all times, if I remember correctly.

Get well soon Alex.

Yes of course allways at least 2 wheels inside (or on) the white lines. The white lines on the S/F-straight aren't excluded! (Maybe they are for safety reasons at the start?)

About the pit exit line I'd prefer to handle it strict as in real life (No wheel crossing the line! Only touching allowed). That's how I did in the past and will do in the future. I don't see a reason why we should soften this rule, even if a driver thinks there's no traffic on the fast lane. Everyone could missjudge the situation and become unpredictable for another driver.

We'll race on tracks with much more difficult exits, so we should start being strict inside the pit exit lines even now. (as allways just my opinion :))

We need some guidelines about the s/f straight. Technically speaking one are allowed to drive on the right side of the track, with two wheels on the wrong side of the white line. However, this is not optimal in terms of racing and safety.

First of all, I found it very hard to get past somebody driving like this, because he effectivly changes line twice, which severly compromises the slip strim effect. Also, the change of lane shortly before the braking zone makes the battle less predictable.

Perhaps a solution is to say that if you chose to drive on the right side of the track, you have to stay there if you have somebody behind you (defensive line into t1), and if you go back to the racing line that is two lane changes and not allowed?

Obviously I agree with the pit exit stuff said above, respect the line :)

Also I agree that the white line at the start of the race is not important, safety comes first, use all the tarmac you want. Also, cutting the track slightly when going side by side into a turn is also considered "evasive action" and not cutting.

While it is a "practice" race, think of it as an opportunity to improve the quality of our championship races. For the sake of consistency, I try not to do anything in a practice start or practice race that I wouldn't do in a point-scoring race.

+1 :) I think Dave just didn't expect us to be so serious also in a practice race. Now he knows that racing for us is also the same, be it fun events or league events. Cheers Dave. :wink:

Perhaps a solution is to say that if you chose to drive on the right side of the track, you have to stay there if you have somebody behind you (defensive line into t1), and if you go back to the racing line that is two lane changes and not allowed?

I wouldn't handle it that strict. The straight is sooo long, so I think even one more line change isn't a big deal. I think we all know how to defend fair and of course weaving from one side to the other all time to interrupt the slip stream is unfair and won't appear, right? :)

Most situations will be regulated by itself. For example if you go through Parabolica and notice there's someone close behind, you'll go to the right side allready when leaving Parabolica. The car behind you will catch up soon and there's no other chance as to drive besides you on the left side. From this point you can't do anything else as to hold the inside until breaking and try to get a tight apey into T1.
On the other side, if the car behind you doesn't make it beside you, I don't see a problem if you slowly drift back to the left side untill braking. It will be predictable for the car behind if you make it slowly and finally hold the left side. Of course a late out breaking maneuver on the right inside from the car behind is possible then.

I'm sure we'll handle it as good as last year. I remembre some fine battles with Alex in the first stint! Get well quickly mate! :wink:

I wouldn't handle it that strict. The straight is sooo long, so I think even one more line change isn't a big deal. I think we all know how to defend fair and of course weaving from one side to the other all time to interrupt the slip stream is unfair and won't appear, right?
smile.png

There are two possible racing lines at the s/f straight. One is both faster and better defensive than the other. The only reason not to follow this racing line is if one feels it is boarderline behavior relative to rules and guidelines. What I saw in the practice race was that some did the fast line while others did the slower one. Therefore I want to clear this matter up so that we all can follow the same line.

Thank you for the replies. A mixed set of views on offer so it appears.

I will follow Valter's guidelines, avoid crossing the pit lane exit white line [and the subsequent drive through penalty for not doing so J :tongue: ] and also stick to the left-hand side of the track down the s/f straight; no controversy.:)

It is nice to know that we will all do the same but I guess it is not necessary.

@David T. I was thinking about two or more cars racing each other out of the pit lane. If the one in front sticks to the lane whilst the chaser run out of the lane and to the left getting the better braking point, etc...

fair point, but another way im thinking about this is there will be alot of guys on the same strategy here, 2 stopper most likely so alot in the pits at the same time, the pit lane exit isnt the widest and if a few guys coming out full speed into a narrow lane it could be a problem, but like you say the guy behind would get a better braking line into the corner if he crossed back onto the track, i'll stick within the white line anyhoo and we will just have to wait and see what happens at the time.

We could all agree to go on the slow side after Parabolica for safety and fairness reasons.
Should we use that line in qualy too you think?

Yes, if everybody agrees to stay left then there is no problem. If we do not manage to do this then (assuming that all racing drivers are seeking the fastest way around the track) we all will go to the right on the s/f straight if you get my point :) Btw, if somebody thinks all this is silly, it is acctually quite realistic. Before any race there is always a drivers meeting between the drivers and the race director where issues like this is settled.

EDIT (pretend that this is a drivers meeting):
Bottom line, are anybody opposed to agreeing on staying to the left on the s/f straight both in race (and qualify)? It will make it slightly easier to make a passing attempt, and our lap times will be about 0,05-0,1 sec slower. It is also slightly safer :)

I think it would maybe be safest option to stay left pit straight for racing line during race, but we still will need to be carefull if going to pass or defend against someone while people may also be exiting pits. Im sure we will all manage :)

I think for qualy though we should just race the fastest way or our racing line and basically you can drive anyline you want aslong as its with 2 wheels in line this would or should be the line everyone has practised anyway :cool:

+ If we all stay left main straight for race replays will look better :D

I wouldn't handle it that strict. The straight is sooo long, so I think even one more line change isn't a big deal. I think we all know how to defend fair and of course weaving from one side to the other all time to interrupt the slip stream is unfair and won't appear, right? :)

Not in our virtual world it wont, although RL seems different:tongue:

I think we should try to avoid running with most of the car over the line on the left, it could cause issues when people are leaving the pitlane?

Also, overtaking on the outside of Curva Grande with two wheels on the grass, if your going to try this please warn me first so I have time to hide behind the sofa:tongue:

Jim

lol :)

Ok, here's my conclusion from the "pre-race-meeting" how I'll behave in the main event on Wednesday:

Qualy:
I'm alone on the track so I'll choose the fastest possible line of course respecting the white-line-rule very strict. So no cutting and running wide, but I'll drive on the rigtht side of the track on the S/F-straight.

Race:
I'll try to avoid any cutting and wide + I'll drive on the left side down the S/F-straight (of course I'll defend on the inside if needed :))

Pit exit:
I'll strictly not cross the pit exit line with any wheel (like RL).

btw I recommend anyone to test a pit entry in the practice session. It's the first time you get to know where your pit crew will wait for you in the race. It looks like the guys, who's pit comes very close behind the entrance need to brake even before the pit entrance...

lol :)

Ok, here's my conclusion from the "pre-race-meeting" how I'll behave in the main event on Wednesday:

Qualy:
I'm alone on the track so I'll choose the fastest possible line of course respecting the white-line-rule very strict. So no cutting and running wide, but I'll drive on the rigtht side of the track on the S/F-straight.

Race:
I'll try to avoid any cutting and wide + I'll drive on the left side down the S/F-straight (of course I'll defend on the inside if needed :))

Pit exit:
I'll strictly not cross the pit exit line with any wheel (like RL).

Same goes for me :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 99 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 74 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 51 6.4%
  • < 5 years