Practice laps X Qualify laps

I think it simulates a rise in track temperature which would be lost to some extent on the next day, although this isnt usually a problem due to support races. Its a bit sketchy really. I wish they would just fully implement variable track and air temperatures, and timescaling to go with them.

I have this strange feeling that the grip level is the same on race day as it is in qualy...but that might be wishful thinking :p

Nonononono ... defo not ... at least not in my experience.
On a 1 min 30 or 40 sec lap, you should be a good 1 second or so quicker in quali.

Track temps are usually up quite considerably (5 or 10ºC often), which is more optimal for just a few hotlaps, but if the track temps were to remain at those higher temps, your tyres would cook quicker than a quick thing.

I always assumed the idea was to increase the grip level in quali to simulate softer/qualifying tyres, then reduce it to normal levels again for the race and to simulate harder compounds and stop you melting your tyres or overheating your engine after something like 5 laps.

Try it ... start up a race ... put it on changeable, then advance through each session. Look at the "session info" for track and air temps.
Drive a 4 or 5 laps in each session with the same setup and fuel load, you should feel a big difference and also see it in your laptimes, check the temps of your tyres and water/oil when you stop in the setup screen ... in quali they will more than likely be much higher.
(even better and more noticeable if you use something like Dingo's real time telemetry tool to see what is going on with temps etc). :good:

• Kyle Evers

Well also during a race you have to have avoid other cars and sometimes slow for a blue flag as opposed to qualifying.

• Graydon McKee

I read in one of the forums about adjusting the amount of fuel that you're carrying. Now I'm not in the game right now but I wonder if there is a difference in the fuel load (i.e. having a full load during practice as opposed to having a reduced load for qualifying)? If there is then that might have something to do with it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 359 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%