Practice Cures Idiocy

I realized that I never really introduced myself here, so for those I haven't met yet, my name is Mark... properly pronounced NEWB.

I have been joining in on club races and having a good time... until last week Phil slapped me in the face with a little hard core reality. Didn't like it, didn't feel good, but it got me to thinking. (Ill come back to this)

As a newb, its always pretty clear in my mind that I suck... and for a second I was ok with that. I think I have owned NKP for a grand total of maybe a month, so I don't have the experience, I don't know the tracks, I just don't have enough time behind the wheel. Then it stuck me... damn your lazy... is driving at the back of the pack really that much fun? Is feeling like every turn is a lottery ticket really that much fun? Its ok to be at the back of the pack, but your lazy!

To be honest, being in the back of the pack is fine if that the best I can do, but after a collision with Phil last week... i realized that I has half #ssing it. Its ok to be casual, it a very cool thing, but the reality is that I was battling it out with someone who gives a damn about the sim enough to really practice. As should have been evidence by his qualy times. I was thinking that I had some kind of right to fight it out, but the reality was quite different after the end of this week.

This week after I started a new regimen of practice. Rather than learn the track the hard way, I studied video footage of people who had great laps times. By study, I mean downloading the video and looping each turn till my eyes where blurry. Then i fired the game up for a few hours. Then I studied the video some more. Then fired the game up. Then studied the video till I could spot my brake points and turn ins almost without thinking.... then fired the game up for more. Then I found out we where driving in the rain.... AARGH....pause.... yup that me firing up the sim again.

Looking back my collision with Phil in last weeks club event, was stupid. My little effort to fight it out for position with Phil was just not merited. I didn't have the qualy time, comfort level, and there was no way I could have held him off. I had no right to be there. Maybe I was hoping to get lucky, but lets face it... why is it that the most skilled are always the "most lucky?" And sure enough i smack him, and who drives away.... NOT ME!

Over all, I am blessed that this week it is possible to put a lot of time in on it, but I guess we set our own priority's don't we. In fact, tonight I was online at 9pm, and Vaggelis was on too... but its was 5AM his time. I asked him what he was doing up so early... he said "Trying to get better times." And here I though I was wood shedding :) I said, "Hey, I'll watch you run a few laps." He said, "NO, You know what to do.... PRACTICE!"

I have no idea what next weeks race will bring, but without a doubt I will settle in and be comfortable for a change, have a lot more respect for the guys who practice, and do my best to be one of them. Thanks Phil for the lesson, and everyone else for letting me take part in the club events.

My first quick read of the thread title was Piracy Cures Idiocy, I though, these guys are picking on me again, lool.

About the topic, yes practice helps a lot, but good sense and don't take full risks is also very important and most off all, have fun and make friends.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back