Post your first impressions

Graphics : ... Performance wise it's not amazing, I have a fairly high end computer (much like some of the other posters have mentioned) and when you pump the graphics up (full with 8x AA, 2x AF, 1920x1080) the performance takes a hit and its not as smooth as you would hope, low spec computers will have it tough.

Performance takes a hit!?
I'm sure there are a lot of people with a more high end computer than I have.
I was running a race with Megane's and 20 AI's, raining (offline though). FPS about 70-80...nice and smooth.
Everything ON and highest possible, 1920x1080.

i7 2600K @ stock speed (16 GB RAM)
Asus GTX 580 @ stock speed

Not at the very end, but still a high end computer I guess. So why doesn't I experience low performance?

Performance takes a hit!?
I'm sure there are a lot of people with a more high end computer than I have.
I was running a race with Megane's and 20 AI's, raining (offline though). FPS about 70-80...nice and smooth.
Everything ON and highest possible, 1920x1080.

i7 2600K @ stock speed (16 GB RAM)
Asus GTX 580 @ stock speed

Not at the very end, but still a high end computer I guess. So why doesn't I experience low performance?
Just one monitor Mikael? I read many people have issues with dual or triple monitors setups?

I had to get it refunded... to be honest my computer wasn't up to it and it was wishful thinking to think it was.

Either way, what I managed to sit through felt ok. Only a new computer or the ability to turn more things off (which with an inability to turn off objects is a pain) I will be able to play rF2 properly.

I didnt have the FPS up but I don't need to have it up to tell if its smooth or not, when I have a bunch of cars infront of me on screen it is a noticeable fps loss, still perfectly playable but very noticeable. 70-80fps doesnt mean a lot to me, on iRacing 70-80 fps feels almost unplayable and I usually play it up at around 300fps, where as in another game 70-80 fps would be almost overkill.

FWIW my specs are I7 2600K (4.4Ghz) 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, Radeon HD6970.

Edit : At Monaco in the Megane with 10 other cars, 40-50fps is what I'm getting, more towards the 40 around other cars, more towards the 50 when they were behind.

8x AA is set in the catalyst control centre (using the ingame might improve this), 2x AF is set in the game, everything is on maximum with 1920x1080 resolution.

I have been fortunate enough to have been testing rF2 for a few weeks, here are my thoughts in a simple and quick manner

Graphics:

Consider a few things, this is a beta and almost none of the post process functions are working atm, compare original rF1 content and look at what the modders did later (this is a modders platform). For me the graphics may not be iRacing standard, but they are nice and a good improvement adding a great deal of immersion.

Physics / FFB:

The FFB is having some issues that will be sorted out given time, but even now they are simply excellent and the best of any sim I have tried to date, period! The physics are also superb and we have not seen the best of this yet, when you include the weather, 'green track' and a superb tire model that has not yet been fully implemented there is much to praise. Once the full tire model is working you will see a huge change in how we drive! :)

UI:

Much tidier than the original, nothing exciting, but then I want a great sim, not a jaw dropping UI ;)

Sound:

There are still quite a few issues with sound, but overall its very good and again, a marked improvement over rF1.

Current Downsides:

The code is far from optimised and performance / FPS can be bad, I run triple screens under eyefinity with no issues, but others dont atm. FFB on some Logitech wheels can be very harsh, there is a work around now and the Devs promise a proper fix soon.

Overall:

If we take a moment to remember that this is a BETA and as such almost all of this UNFINISHED and consider that the work has gone in to create a PLATFORM for modders not a complete GAME /SIM I see massive potential :)

rFactor never was for everyone, it is far closer to a true sim than most other releases but blended well for online play, as such, for me, this is the next step in online sim racing :)

I certainly feel I got my moneys worth on this one... I'm liking it... and with the modding community will be having a field day... hope the rfactor team is getting a positive reaction so far... I bet they did well on first day sales... took forever to get their server to take my money...

i cannot agree at all as far as graphics are concerned, everything set to max and it is running nicely (thx to i7 chipset i guess) but it looks just dreadfully dated and flat. maybe it's just me. gameplay: still figuring out good settings fro my wheel (thrustmaster pro clutch), not very hot atm, pity there was no preset as in the original rfactor

i cannot agree at all as far as graphics are concerned, everything set to max and it is running nicely (thx to i7 chipset i guess) but it looks just dreadfully dated and flat. maybe it's just me. gameplay: still figuring out good settings fro my wheel (thrustmaster pro clutch), not very hot atm, pity there was no preset as in the original rfactor

I'm the opposite of a graphic whore and I just can't stand them, one thing is not being the best ones, and another thing is look like 2005.

Physics I presume they are the best but feel weird for me, probably I need to habituate.

Like Eric pointed, a lof of people is confusing what is an Alpha and a Beta in software development... this won't improve dramatically unless ISI is using the term Beta in a wrong way.

P.S.- Sorry for the negative post but this is my mood every time I try it :D

okay, please tell me this is not some eye candy, particularly when its beta eye candy ;)

GRAB_009.jpg

GRAB_008.jpg

GRAB_007.jpg

eyefinity with everything max and 16x aa no HDR

okay, please tell me this is not some eye candy, particularly when its beta eye candy ;)

GRAB_009.jpg

GRAB_008.jpg

GRAB_007.jpg

eyefinity with everything max and 16x aa no HDR

indeed!

I do not understand why so many people complain about the graphics level of rF2?....
It's aestethically very pleasant on max settings and deserves at least a 8 out of 10 compared to modern graphic racing engines! good effects, textures, and overall visuals!
but maybe

some unfinished shadows, weather effects and poor antialiasing support make so much difference to so many people in abeta phase?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 143 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 271 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 394 40.0%