Status
Not open for further replies.
One for my homeslice TibS

hx67gl.png

'Pipe, I'm liking the BMW.

I'm only 17, but I bet that my midlife crisis will be a Jaguar! ^^

Or a bright orange Lambo. It will match my ball head then! :tongue:

By the way, is that Jaguar released?

My midlife crisis doesn't want to end, it's seen me through more than 40 cars of all kinds, and almost as many women. I had a Citroen for far too long. Jag isn't released as yet. Still beta testing, if I can ever get to testing instead of just cruising around in it. It's cars like the Jag that put Racer above the commercial sims like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo, in my personal opinion. Sometimes, particularly with the beautiful screenshots, I think TiberiuS talent is wasted on Racer and should be modelling professionally, but when I drive his cars, it shows that actually, Racer is f**king brilliant.

Give me some credit. It was a C4 Coupé, the one with the sharks-tail rear end, based on the Airdream.

Harey, is that a 159?
So you had the one that reminds me way too much of a new Prius in the rear. lol

Yes, Yes it is infact, now i feel I'll probably be getting plenty of pm's about it, and to answer the question I can fore see, no you can't have it, its just a for looks car right now and its terribly high poly.

So here's an R8 that is still in the works, by my friend eapdesign (don't think he's registered here yet though)
screenshot288.png

The build quality was remarkable. In a Volkswagen, things are held in place with screws and fixtures. In older Peugeot, you got lots of glue and tabs, like a paper model. In the Citroen C4, you got nothing, like the components were merely stacked together in such a way that they stayed together for a while. Like a house of cards. I traded it in before it all fell to bits.

Most european cars rule. They are made to last a couple of thousand miles, then puff!

I know a case of a very well cared and manteined VW TDi, that at 291.000km putted the piston rings on the oil pan. P.O.S. that's what I say.
2.0 TDi breakes engine heads at 100.000km, VW Golf 1.4 that at 100.000km retires their piston rings, BMW 3 series that have chassis ruptures... and don't make me talk about the french, please don't! LOL

Buy a Japanese instead, they will last you a life without an headache.

Most european cars rule. They are made to last a couple of thousand miles, then puff!

I know a case of a very well cared and manteined VW TDi, that at 291.000km putted the piston rings on the oil pan. P.O.S. that's what I say.
2.0 TDi breakes engine heads at 100.000km, VW Golf 1.4 that at 100.000km retires their piston rings, BMW 3 series that have chassis ruptures... and don't make me talk about the french, please don't! LOL

Buy a Japanese instead, they will last you a life without an headache.

That's off-topic, but that's not true. Make a search for ADAC's stats, you'll see japanese car aren't first, and french/european cars are quite good. ;)

I still think that the popular opionion that Japanese cars are well-built is because Americans believe them to be well-built because they only really have rubbish American cars to compare them to. Only in the last 10 years or so has common stuff like BMW stopped being seen as an exotic import. I think there's two kinds of build quality, there's the Lexus way, and the Mercedes-Benz way. Lexus make exquisite cars that last for 10 years (because Japanese road duties and inspections make owning a car older than 10 years very difficult) whereas Benz make cars which lack the "hand-made-furniture" feel of a Lexus, then last 250 years of being driven around the worst places on Earth, without any oil in the engine, or gearbox, or diff.

Back on topic

racerslr.jpg

• Tiberius

Latest developments - does anyone really care anymore? :D

Nowhere else to put these so they go here I guess. If the thumbnails don't show up full size, delete the '_th' part from the URL in the address bar when you open them and they should open fullsize - it's a bug I think.

3D animated grass, this stuff takes a LOT of grass and it's taken a long time to make it work well - somewhere around 130,000 faces to cover a 1km square terrain in a grass carpet, all animated with a hacked version of Racer's flag shader (the animation looks really good, better than it does for flags). If you assume that every textured face contains 64 blades of grass, that makes 8,320,000 textured blades of grass.. cut the grass into 200m square patches and LOD them and then tweak the mipmapping so that they don't go out of focus too quickly, it actually runs quite smoothly and it looks really, really good..almost FC2 or Crysis good:

Terrain stencils, basically a shader where you can paint more detailed textures onto a terrain using a greyscale stencil image - if you've ever used UnrealEd or tried stencil layers in blender you'll see what I mean - the great thing is that you can seamlessly merge textures, look at the edge around the water where the grass meets the rock. I'm trying to get 3 layers or more to work but code isn't my thing, I need to work out how to change the Blending between textures for that to work - at the moment it's just texture1.rgb*stencil.rgb stuff, that's about the limit of my maths skills:

Finally, good old waving flags. Just random logos pulled from Google images and painted onto flags, notice the flag of the Democratic Republic of Blender ;-). TBH, I'm not in love with the flag animation, it doesn't look as good as the grass does (the flags look kinda elastic) But it still looks good with flags waving around..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back