PC Possible to get the game look good on a 50" or bigger monitor?

Discussion in 'Project CARS' started by Pär Öqvist, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Pär Öqvist

Pär Öqvist

Ratings:
    +114
    I must say I am not to impressed with PCars visually currently. My 50" TV broke so I was gaming on my 24" for some weeks and when Project Cars came. There it looks good best of the bunch overall I would say with some competition from Assetto Corsa.

But when moving to my 50" TV the low res textures of it that slightly annoyed before have gotten a huge problem. rFactor 2 and even Stock car extreme is starting to be strangely competitive and even preferrable. Less trackside objects but the textures is higher res and hold up better on a 50" 1080p monitor. The low res textures of Project cars just don´t give me much detail and the nice lightning and atmospheric effects don´t come to their rights when there is jaggies all over the car models etc making them look unrealistic.

Wonder if there is any efficient tricks? I have a GTX 980 but running justabout all settings max I don´t have much headroom and will have to compromise some settings if it´s possible to get higher res textures for PCARs. I guess Icould move the screen further away it should hide most of the ugliness but loose the point of the 50" monitor :)

2. yusupov

yusupov

Ratings:
    +149
    im not sure if pcars textures are lower res...i do notice for example partic w/ stock car extreme that they the tarmac, cars, & now even grass are very high-res though.

i would suggest messing around with filters, one, which could be blurring the textures, & 2 -- if you can, use a higher level of AA. maybe try sacrificing some other settings to do this.

AC uses very high res textures but by default theyre blurred, i have to use a sharpener to see them 'properly'. this can probably be done in pcars as well, but dont ask me how, i had to ask about how to do it in AC.... theres no real reason for ACs tarmac & car textures to not be presented as sharply as they can be if the AA is up to snuff. my guess would be if you have better AA & disable or tweak some filters, pCARS will shine properly on your screen.

keep in mind, 1080p/50 inch, its going to be pixellated compared to a screen half that size. maybe youre using DSR for SCE/rf2? that will probably do a lot in that regard. you can try the d2x AA or the like in pcars for similar effect with what should be less performance hit.

3. Blkout

Blkout

Ratings:
    +584
    Not much you can do but sit further away from the display. That's just the nature of having a larger display. Larger display means you must sit further away to avoid seeing the pixels unless its a higher resolution like 4K, however he performance hit at 4K would be too great to enjoy any of the graphics features.

4. Pär Öqvist

Pär Öqvist

Ratings:
    +114
    It´s not that I run a multitude of games. Some use higher res textures then others :). But it seems like part of the crappiness was some post processing effects. Also I had textures set to high performance rather then high quality for some reason after a video card update so it also helped some. Also saved a few frames so I could enable more aa so it look quite good now. Not having 100 % smooth frame rates can be incredible detrimental to image quality also. I was running some 75 fps before but never really felt smooth. Looks like there is something with the post processing that is the big villain here.