possible to extend "field of view" max from 1.3x to, say, 1.5x for example?

Hello, I like driving in hood perspective and would like to know if it is possible to extend the hood perspective field of view from the max. 1.3x to, say, 1.5x or 1.7 or whatever? Is THAT possible somehow by just editing that in a INI file or something like that? or in any other way possible?

I remember that with DTM EXPERIENCE2013 there where different hood perspectives (that showed more from the hood) here downloadable.

The hood perspectives of many cars, especially the dtm cars, are too "near" in view, to big in my opinion.

You can change the hood camera option by editing the nose_pivot.xml that you can find inside
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\Cars\WHAT CAR YOU WANT TO CHANGE\Cameras

Screenshot_26.png

thanx. I will give it a try. To change the max. fov from say 1.3x to 1.7x how many lines in the file would be needed to to be changed to extend/change the fov, only the one line that says 0.13 to change into 0.17 or a few lines more to be changed?
If you see at the photo i attach , where it says camera settings, first line is for left and right, second for the hight and third for back and forward. First make a back up of the original file. And then make small changes, and every time you change one line go and test it. ;)
To change the FOV you have to go at the first red circle and change the 55 to what ever you want, but allways small steps.

Last edited:
You can manually change the fov percentage in the graphics_config.xml (under documents folder), but are you sure you want to have a hyperjump-like perspective just to be on the hood? The default fov on 1.0x is already huge, 58° vertical. I personally use 33° and it's still far from the mathematically correct 27° that I should be on.

What ever makes you feel more connected with the car.
The correct math value is ok only if you use triple screens. For one screen you can be a little more elastic. IMO :)
And i dont use this way to change my FOV, only the placement up/down, left/right, front/back. For the FOV i do it in-game ;)

thanx for the multiple answers. I will try it in the next couple of hours.

math doesn't matter to me at all (besides the fact, that I was always horrible in math and do not understand a thing in math!).
the reason, why I wanna change the hood view field of view is, because unlinke other simracing games (say Project Cars or Stock Car Extreme or rFactor) within RaceRoomExperience and especially the DTM cars, the hood is too fat, too near, too close to see all of it's glory. I like to see the full hood, from the beginning of the hood till it's end at the windows. I like hood view more distant, like a bit from above the car.
and I like the details one can see in hood view IF the whole hood is in field of view. which is not in RRE!

So my suggestion is to move it at center move it backwards and a little bit higher, but that needs small changes and a lot of testing.
You dont have to go out of the game to test the results. Just quit the practice make your changes and start practice again ;)
@RacingJustForFun this is something i just made for an example.
20160412150455_1.jpg

Last edited:
What ever makes you feel more connected with the car.
The correct math value is ok only if you use triple screens. For one screen you can be a little more elastic. IMO :)
And i dont use this way to change my FOV, only the placement up/down, left/right, front/back. For the FOV i do it in-game ;)
I use a single screen and still can't stand anything higher than a maximum of 40°, and use 33° in every sim I drive (except ETS2/ATS, where 45° is the lowest mod I found). So while being elastic, looking down a pipe where 50m looks like 250m is neither immersive nor useful.

BTW, this is 100° fov:
FOV100.jpg~original

Last edited:
in the meantime - without reading here - I did "toy around" and found my proper hood view in DTM cars, for instance the mercedes couple2014, which is, I DID NOT change the FOV but instead changed
low/high to 1.05
forward/backward to -0.7

NOW in hood view I can see those great looking (I do not know the proper english term, since I am German) "riffles" or "nouns" on up front left and right at the car's nose, which could NOT be seen in the default FOV.

I like hoods of cars that have unusual colors or formats, like those DTM "riffles" or "nouns" or whatever they are called!?

THANX to everybody, especially to you, Vangelis pargiNOS, my (assumably greek) fried, for your helpful kindness AND your patience with me.

What ever feels good for you my friend, as long as you enjoy your self ;)
I use the ingame 0.6 setting and always cockpit cam :)
So basically 34.8° of vertical fov, not far from my 33° :)

THANX to everybody, especially to you, Vangelis pargiNOS, my (assumably greek) fried, for your helpful kindness AND your patience with me.
Glad you could achieve what you were looking for ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 141 13.9%