Positive SimRacing Awards

You say "hobbyists" like its bad or something. Im not sure what you even mean by that, but i am fairly sure that this is in fact a hobby to 99% of the drivers in FSR.

A professional is a person who is engaged in a certain activity, or occupation, for gain or compensation as means of livelihood; such as a permanent career, not as an amateur or pastime.

I think it's safe enough to move your estimation up to 100%.

Pretty sure everyone understood, but since you gave the definition, we have to be more precise. You gave the most common definition of the word professional, which is obviously correct, but there are more definitions:

someone who has a lot of experience or skill in a particular job or activity
an expert player, as of golf or tennis, serving as a teacher, consultant, performer, or contestant; pro.
a person competent or skilled in a particular activity

It pretty much depends on the way the word is used and on the context.You don't need to make a living out of what you do to be professional. It is about skill and knowledge and capability as well. Anyhow this whole thing is about being the opposite. Antonyms of the word professional are: unskilled, ignorant, incompetent, inefficient, stupid, inept, rookie, untrained, incapable and indeed amateur. In my view people who want to have only fun are FSR's tumor and are one of the reasons for the decreasing level of competition. They are destined to fail in any competition, as they are unwilling or unable to make sacrifices or employ brain cells for progress, performing as well as general functioning in FSR. Testing pointlessly thousands of laps doesn't make anyone professional if they don't avoid acting upon the above mentioned definitions of hobbyist (amateur). I prefer the term hobbyist as its less emotionally colored and also for the historical reason I've mentioned in the other topic.

Unfortunately the percentage of hobbyists is indeed very high, I would guess around 90%, which partially explains the results in the past 4 years. To investigate this, I would make a poll asking everyone whether they know and read the FSR rules, I think already there you can disqualify at least 70% of all FSR drivers from being professional. These hobbyists bring down the rest with them, hence the protesting issue among other stuff.

You are a hobbyist as well, just a serious hobbyist.

If people leaves or the level decreases it's not because there are hobbyists, it's for other reasons. I'd say that people like Morand left for totally opposite reasons, for example.

But anyway, at the end of the day, the difference between you and someone else is that your name will be leading some rank, and that's all. Exact words from Roy Kolbe :) Therefore talking about professionalism (whatever definition you take, doesn't matter) when the outcome is so ridiculous, doesn't make much sense to me. If you are the only one who is a professional, then you should think if it's you who is wrong, instead of everyone else.

What I see every year (not only in FSR, but in all other kind of top simracing championships) is that most guys don't race if they have personal commitments, holidays, etc (which is easier to avoid when you have mostly sub-18 year old kids) so obviously the use of the word professionalism is way exagerated (and therefore talking about hobbyists in an unrespectful way).

About reporting every incident, there are different points of view, and all of them have a point. It comes to my mind the last lap contact between Marquez and Lorenzo at Jerez, but Yamaha team manager decided to not protest (oh and hey, they are true professionals). Some people believes that if the other driver understood his fault, it's enough, others think that they have to report every single incident. I think both are compatible.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back