Porsche Cup car has been released.

Full course yellow all the time. The ai is literally to fast. They dive-bomb into slow corners way to fast.

Does the ai use the same physics than the player car? I was constantly fighting on the limit and still got taken over easily.
I usually set the track rules to "black flag only" which helps eliminate full course yellows. It's not realistic, but it works.

Guys calm down.

A couple of things:
-the brakes: the GT3 Cup has steel discs so the braking performance is nowhere near a GT3 car. look at the onboards and you'll see that breaking distances in the GT3 Cup cars are quite long
- grip: this car has basically no downforce except for some high speed stability from the rear wing, but that's pretty much it.so yes it has way less grip than a GT3 (why even the comparison? the Cup is far closer to a road going GT3RS than a GT3 race car)

I would suggest leaving the setup alone (I think it's actually pretty good for a default setup; at least it doesn't have gobs of understeer) and let the car come in for a couple of laps. I noticed it starts performing after a lap of 3. You have to be patient with this car. It needs to settle into the corner, slow-in fast-out. When you drive it the right way it's plenty of fun. Coming out of the last corner on Zandvoort power drifting at 190km/h is super cool in this! It took me 2h to get into grips with it but it grows on me with every lap. So give it a chance and don't compare it to GT3 cars since this is entirely different. The GT3's are safe gentlemans race cars, the Cup car is a feeder series manual, no TC, no ABS, handful of a racecar that has more power than it should and requires faster reactions than it's speed and looks would suggest (I mean it goes up to 295km/h while having difficulties with taking bends at 190km/h). I'm not saying it's perfect, but isn't bad by any means. Concerning the sound - the dog-box shifting sound is actually way better than the one in RR, the rest unfortunately doesn't follow - engine sound thin and whooshy as if had turbo or something. There's definitely room for improvement but it's still a nice addition that was needed in rF2.

I know it's not a GT3 car, but it feels like the brakes are from a road car, not a GT3 Cup car. I don't expect it to be easy to drive, but it should be driveble. I know it doesn't have much downforce, no TC nor ABS, but it shouldn't be trying to kill me at every corner.

As I said, it's clearly subpar to other GT3 Cup cars in other sims and other content that S397 has released

• Deleted member 955978

Guys calm down.

A couple of things:
-the brakes: the GT3 Cup has steel discs so the braking performance is nowhere near a GT3 car. look at the onboards and you'll see that breaking distances in the GT3 Cup cars are quite long
- grip: this car has basically no downforce except for some high speed stability from the rear wing, but that's pretty much it.so yes it has way less grip than a GT3 (why even the comparison? the Cup is far closer to a road going GT3RS than a GT3 race car)

I would suggest leaving the setup alone (I think it's actually pretty good for a default setup; at least it doesn't have gobs of understeer) and let the car come in for a couple of laps. I noticed it starts performing after a lap of 3. You have to be patient with this car. It needs to settle into the corner, slow-in fast-out. When you drive it the right way it's plenty of fun. Coming out of the last corner on Zandvoort power drifting at 190km/h is super cool in this! It took me 2h to get into grips with it but it grows on me with every lap. So give it a chance and don't compare it to GT3 cars since this is entirely different. The GT3's are safe gentlemans race cars, the Cup car is a feeder series manual, no TC, no ABS, handful of a racecar that has more power than it should and requires faster reactions than it's speed and looks would suggest (I mean it goes up to 295km/h while having difficulties with taking bends at 190km/h). I'm not saying it's perfect, but isn't bad by any means. Concerning the sound - the dog-box shifting sound is actually way better than the one in RR, the rest unfortunately doesn't follow - engine sound thin and whooshy as if had turbo or something. There's definitely room for improvement but it's still a nice addition that was needed in rF2.
When it’s much closer to a street GT3 RS, than why has it such a shitty gearbox? The RS as a lightning fast PDK, the Cup a shitty, slow and even dangerous one...
And the RS is much more pointy on turn in. The Cup is an understeerfest.
I don’t get it, sorry.

I have done some back to back comparison with the Cup Car on the Nordschleife in rF2 and Raceroom, and I have to say I was quite surprised how close the cars felt to me and how similar they were. Any differences I was able to notice were quite minor, and my personal laptimes differed by only half a second between rF2 and Raceroom. (Video is in the video section.)

I honestly don't see where comments about the car being "clearly subpar" to counterparts in other sims come from.

And it's also kinda funny to see the same kind of comments regarding this car popping up as it is introduced in various sims. It just drives way differently than people seem to expect.

(But what a bad decision from Porsche to name one of their car models "GT3" while it really has nothing to do with actual GT3 cars.)

I have done some back to back comparison with the Cup Car on the Nordschleife in rF2 and Raceroom, and I have to say I was quite surprised how close the cars felt to me and how similar they were. Any differences I was able to notice were quite minor, and my personal laptimes differed by only half a second between rF2 and Raceroom. (Video is in the video section.)

I honestly don't see where comments about the car being "clearly subpar" to counterparts in other sims come from.

And it's also kinda funny to see the same kind of comments regarding this car popping up as it is introduced in various sims. It just drives way differently than people seem to expect.

(But what a bad decision from Porsche to name one of their car models "GT3" while it really has nothing to do with actual GT3 cars.)

The Porsche 911 GT3 naming existed before the GT3 series started AFAIK.

When it’s much closer to a street GT3 RS, than why has it such a shitty gearbox? The RS as a lightning fast PDK, the Cup a shitty, slow and even dangerous one...
And the RS is much more pointy on turn in. The Cup is an understeerfest.
I don’t get it, sorry.

Dangerous gearbox?:geek: That's the funniest **** I've read. It's a dogbox not a filthy electronic PDK. It's supposed to be like that.

I drove some more on VIR Full layout (green track). The car felt amazing! I was able to trash it around like no business. Everything works like a 911 should - liftoff oversteer, rotating the car midcorner on the brakes, stabilizing the car on throttle - all spot on. I must say when you're in tune with the car it's an epic ride. Quick hands required though :D

• Deleted member 955978

Dangerous gearbox?:geek: That's the funniest **** I've read. It's a dogbox not a filthy electronic PDK. It's supposed to be like that.
And that’s why I called it ****!
A road going elite only road car out performs a purpose built race car, sad world...

And about the “race clutch” Porsche built into this: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Do you select your Race Driver Portfolio by who survives this death trap?
RIDICULOUS

There is something wrong with the car, I think.

It has 524/15 steering lock. This is a ratio of 17.5:1

Even my rusty old 99 Audi A4 has faster steering.

The brakes are also nearly nonexistent. I can stomp full 80 kg and it doesn't brake.

not wrong. That's the ballpark of real life ratio.
been years since i've ran the cup n2, but overall the car is fairly believable out of the box compared to the real life counterpart. the default toe could use a tweak and i gotta dig into my notes on what the diff preload is set at after the car finished the shakedown but other than that it's not that fictional at all. Even the brake bias is surprisingly within range (not torque bias, just based on line pressure).

not entirely sold on how the fronts heat up relative to the rears as well as the sausage kerb compliance, but outside of that i'd say it's acceptable comparing to the gen 2 cup car i've dealt with before. If they'd clean the dash up and the sound a bit it'd be a bit more authentic, but i gave up on getting good interiors from these guys.

And that’s why I called it ****!
A road going elite only road car out performs a purpose built race car, sad world...

And about the “race clutch” Porsche built into this: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Do you select your Race Driver Portfolio by who survives this death trap?
RIDICULOUS

I literally can't understand what you're on about. It seems to me you just don't know how to drive a 911. And BTW how many racecars are "outperformed" by the Veyron? U bummed about that too?

OK guys, I tested the car on the Nordschleife for a few laps.

The Camber in the default setup is set to crazy values. Front and back Camber was at -5°. So you never got heat into the tires, because the car doesn't roll that much, too let the tires lay flat on the track in corners.

Lowering the negative Camber to -3.2° on the front and -2.6° on the back heats the tires evenly if you push a little bit.

Much more grip in corners and more stable now. You get heat to rhe front pretty quick now. Maybe a little less pressure on the back is needed to.

I was under the strong impression GT3 cars have steel discs too :)

I think you're right but the gt3 run ABS system on top of that so the brakes will be totally different. Also steel brakes tend to cool down on the straights quicker than carbonfiber discs. That might be the reason why the Cup brakes really bite at the end of the braking zone where you have to ease off to prevent wheels locking up.

Just drove a quick 6 lap race against the AI on the Nordschleife @ 95% strength. With correct setup, they are not fast at all anymore. In every second corner I wondered why they go so slow.

It's unbelievable to me, how S397 delivers a great car with an undriveable default setup. Most guys fire up the sim, try the car, hate it and never touch it again. Maybe they should invest more time into a more plausible default setup.

Last edited:
I think you're right but the gt3 run ABS system on top of that so the brakes will be totally different. Also steel brakes tend to cool down on the straights quicker than carbonfiber discs. That might be the reason why the Cup brakes really bite at the end of the braking zone where you have to ease off to prevent wheels locking up.

exactly. yesterday i tried the porsche cup for a race at Silverstone, i learned to lift off the brake approaching the end of the braking zone, is the only one way to avoid wheels locking. also i think is a good thing assign brake bias to two keys on the steering wheel in order to change brake balancing while the tank go empty and the weight balance changes. the car feels great and really really fulffilling to drive after you fit her

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 133 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 182 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 358 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 499 39.0%