Porsche 992 - Yes or No?

So, there may be a thread about this already but here goes.

Whats your opinion of the new 911 (992)? Too much Audi and not enough Porsche? Or, do you think the design is superior over the 991?

I find the 992 is too much Audi influence and has lost some (much?) of its "Porsche-ness". Luxury and covered in electronics isn't really what I want to be thinking when eyeing over a 911. The body is great (for the most part), but the interior screams Audi luxury sport to me. It may be superior in every performance metric than the previous iterations, but its disappointing to see it lose it's soul. If I were in the market for a 911, I would be looking at a first gen 991, or even a 997.

but its disappointing to see it lose it's soul.

People have been saying this since the original 911 got phased out :p
Remember that the 356 was basically a luxurious upgrade to the Volkswagens! I don't blame the 911s for getting along with the times. If you want something with an older sensibility, you can always try to get one of the variants from the sixties. Mabye get Singer to do some magic with it.

People have been saying this since the original 911 got phased out :p
Remember that the 356 was basically a luxurious upgrade to the Volkswagens! I don't blame the 911s for getting along with the times. If you want something with an older sensibility, you can always try to get one of the variants from the sixties. Mabye get Singer to do some magic with it.

That might be going to a bit of an extreme. However, yes an older tuned Porsche would be sweet. Having said that, there is a noticeable "luxurization" of the 992. Some may like it, some do not. However, this is the first time I've heard reviewers use the word luxury when referring to a 911. And yes, they've also said the 991 was "dumbed down" when comparing it to the more mechanical, hydraulic, 997, so I get what you're saying.

Funny though, some reviewers claim the Cayman GTS 4.0 is now Porsche's true sports car. I suppose its about who you ask, and what their expectations are.

I loved my old Porsche; an RS-America, whale-tail, manual rack and pinion and all. I wish I still had it, but alas, it's long gone. The current 911's are great cars, but they don't do much for me.

I have a 987 Cayman S and had to take it to my Local Porsche indy a couple of months ago for a service (even though only done 2000miles in 2 years!) while I was there I took the liberty of wondering the show room and they had a 996 GT3 beside another 987 cayman beside the 718 cayman and a new 991 shape 911 and they are huge! the cayman and the GT3 just look so small but give me any GT3 please

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back