Porsche 908 & general setup advice

Hello all,

I recently bought my first wheel after a long time playing with a gamepad and have been practicing laps with the Porsche 908LH at laguna seca. After learning the track a bit I've been trying to do just some very basic setup work to get the tyre temps/pressures to where they should be, and am struggling somewhat.

The conditions on track are about 12° air temp and 17° track temp. I have followed the standard advice of increasing toe and reducing pressures a bit but the fronts are still staying around 35-40°C and the rears are between 40-50°C depending on where I am in the track. At these temps the pressures are still too low as well (since I lowered them to try and increase temps) IMO temps are all about the same on all 4 tyres.

I tried an alternative route of increasing pressures so that the tyres would be properly inflated at the lower temps they seem to be stuck at and got similar temperatures but better lap times by about 1-2 seconds consistently. I ended up with times around 1:43.3-1:44.7 ish with this setup. Certainly not world record times but I would imagine its fast enough that the tyres should be heating decently... Or am I wrong about this? The fastest time I found on RSR for this car/track is about 10 seconds faster.

The second question is how much of a toe adjustment is considered a "big" adjustment. I went from about -30 to -45 in on the fronts and something similar in the rear. Handling seemed to improve slightly, and temps went up by a handful of degrees but not much. Im wary of setting some huge amount of toe change to chase temps because I would imagine this will at some point adversely affect handling. Is there something that can be done to help this or is it just a case of accepting either some handling deficencies or cold temps? Should I just put tons of toe on and dial the handling back a bit some other way? Or do the effects of front and rear toe cancel eachother out to some extent?

Thanks in advance :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 233 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years