Poor edges quality

Hello guys,
Bp
Since I have the game I have been experiencing poor edge quality. It is more noticeable in the cockpit lines and the white lines in the track. It is almost as annoying that i have to quit the game .

I have set antialiasing in game to max (16x) and set the option in my catalyst to defined by application. Also have all video settings to max in game.

Does anyone knows if I have forgotten something? Really appreciate your help

Thanks

That's it, make sure the dll is used in GSCE config.

Quick note, I noticed an increase in input lag v-synced from GSCE config using this. Fixed by forcing on hardware side.

Thanks!
How can I verify the dll is used in the GSCE config?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you mean by "input lag v-synced from GSCE config", nor how you fixed it?

Thanks again,

Henk

By the way, editing the config.ini and overriding in-game AA via Nvidia's Control Panel, seems to have really sharpened my graphics. Unfortunately, I changed both prior to testing, so I can't distinguish their contributions. Hopefully the new .dll and Nvidia Inspector settings will provide further improvement.

Finally, is it worth adding Player and Track detail lines to my config.ini if neither was originally present?

In the GSCE folder you will find the GSC config exe.
Example: C:\GSC2013\GSC Config.exe.
It's the configuration program that ran when you first ran GSCE.

Run the configurator, ensure the drop down box on the right titled "Shader Level" is set to "quality (dx9). Edit: May or may not be related.

I run tripples, I have to vsync or I suffer stutters above and below monitor res (still no fix on this one), if you use vsync (can be set in GSC Config.exe as stated above) ensure you uncheck this and lock it down in your video card software, Exampe: Nvidia control panel\Manage 3d settings.

As Vsync causes input lag (a delayed image vs control input) you want to minimise it.
Using the stated DLL caused noticeable input lag on my system that was alleviated by following the above.
Note, great way to test, wobble your steering wheel rapidly, you can judge the amount of lag from the onscreen wheel, it won't keep up, un-synced it should (on my system at least) match up exactly.
Apologies if this is old ground for you.

Can't give you advice on the player or track detail additions.
My personal graphical mileage varied editing the config.ini, visually (apart from not being to max shadows) I haven't had a problem.
The clamped DLL was just gravy.

Quick note, GSC Config.exe can overwrite your config.ini, used to reset my manually input system/video ram settings, texture, object and shader setting seem to stay.

Quick note, this DLL is gold on my system, as the distant jaggies have been cleaned up the AA gives a DOF impression in the distance, highly recommend anyone to give it a shot, the wombat DLL crashed on 8.1 for me (even renaming orig dll to dll2) so very happy this works well.

Last edited:
I noticed great improvements w/ this dll. However, trackmap and rfdynhud disappear. I think I read a post somewhere by @Quickmikk2 on how to reactivate these (or was it GID, w/c I don't use). Does anyone know how to reactivate these 2 with this dll? Thanks.

For those willing to try my settings, I'm getting around 150~250+ fps without jaggies using the following setup (nVidia GTX660) on a 1920x1080 monitor and the clamp lod bias dll referenced above. Looks perfect.

Config.ini:
included the lines referenced in this thread (PlayerDetail=5, TrackDetail=5, etc)

GSC Config:
Shader Level - DX9
Antialiasing: none
Vsync off

nVidia Inspector:
see picture
2bqm4w.jpg
Hi Fernando, I'm running a GTX 660ti and I have exactly the same settings as you by sheer coincidence, looks fantastic and great performance.

Hi Fernando, I'm running a GTX 660ti and I have exactly the same settings as you by sheer coincidence, looks fantastic and great performance.

Are you running full vis settings in game config?

Will try the track and player detail, still have room to move at 5760x1080, can't hurt to try for the next level...lol
Previously setting Nvidia inspector offered slight texture blurring with the above settings, tho may be something to do with one, not using the clamped DLL previously and two, using Rfactor SLI bits.
Will try again with the new DLL.

A bit of a black art optimising ISImotor 2.

Last edited:
In the GSCE folder you will find the GSC config exe.
Example: C:\GSC2013\GSC Config.exe.
It's the configuration program that ran when you first ran GSCE.

Run the configurator, ensure the drop down box on the right titled "Shader Level" is set to "quality (dx9). Edit: May or may not be related.

I run tripples, I have to vsync or I suffer stutters above and below monitor res (still no fix on this one), if you use vsync (can be set in GSC Config.exe as stated above) ensure you uncheck this and lock it down in your video card software, Exampe: Nvidia control panel\Manage 3d settings.

As Vsync causes input lag (a delayed image vs control input) you want to minimise it.
Using the stated DLL caused noticeable input lag on my system that was alleviated by following the above.
Note, great way to test, wobble your steering wheel rapidly, you can judge the amount of lag from the onscreen wheel, it won't keep up, un-synced it should (on my system at least) match up exactly.
Apologies if this is old ground for you.

Can't give you advice on the player or track detail editions.
My personal graphical mileage varied editing the config.ini, visually (apart from not being to max shadows) I haven't had a problem.
The clamped DLL was just gravy.

Quick note, GSC Config.exe can overwrite your config.ini, used to reset my manually input system/video ram settings, texture, object and shader setting seem to stay.

Quick note, this DLL is gold on my system, as the distant jaggies have been cleaned up the AA gives a DOF impression in the distance, highly recommend anyone to give it a shot, the wombat DLL crashed on 8.1 for me (even renaming orig dll to dll2) so very happy this works well.

Although I'm pretty new to PCs and PC sim racing, that clicks with what I've read (I think)!

It's just very uncomfortable editing files without any real understanding of what I'm actually doing. I feel somewhat better when I see the same concepts consistently mentioned.

Just to be sure, are the following correct?

1. GSCE graphics are much cleaner when set via Nvidia Control Panel and/or Nvidia Inspector, as opposed to the in-game Display options.

2. Editing the GSCE config.exe should precede config.ini editing, as it may reset the latter.

3. Replacing the default d3d9.dll with the clamping d3d9.dll can reduce eliminate/eliminate distant jaggies, at the expense of on-screen track maps (which I guess are enabled with the original d3d9.dll)?

4. The clamping d3d9.dll is a better option than any of the other links posted in the Nvidia forum clamping thread?

And a few, perhaps easily answered questions.

1. From what I've read, supersampling is a useful graphical option so long as it is equal to another anti-aliasing option (multisampling or anti-aliasing, I can't remember). It seems that can only be enabled with Nvidia Inspector, so is it ok to adjust Nvidia CP and Inspector, or does one supercede the other?

2. I have a 3770K CPU running at 4.3 GHz, a GTX 780, 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. If I can indeed enable supersampling, what should setting should I try initially (single 1440p monitor at 59 Hz)?

3. Assuming I can also adjust NCP settings, should I keep Anisotrophic at 16x and AA at 16xQ (vs. 32x)?

4. I thought I read to disable in-game Display settings (specifically AA), but that doesn't appear possible. What should I then set in-game AA to (Blilinear, Trilinear, 2x, 4x, 8x etc.)?

5. I know 1440p monitors are fairly rare in sim racing, but does anyone know if the adage that anti-aliasing is wasted at 1440p is correct? I often have difficulty distinguishing between graphical options in many games (e.g. the ubersampling option in Witcher 2 was provided in 2011 for future proofing, as few, if any, GPUs could handle it at the time. Although it halves my fps to 35, I'm not sure I could accurately identify it in ABX blind testing), but I do notice shimmering guard rails and jaggy lane lines in GSCE.

I think that's it, and I apologize for the length, but if I've missed anything important, please let me know, as I'd like GSCE to look as good as possible, if not as good as it drives!

Thanks,

Henk

Although I'm pretty new to PCs and PC sim racing, that clicks with what I've read (I think)!

It's just very uncomfortable editing files without any real understanding of what I'm actually doing. I feel somewhat better when I see the same concepts consistently mentioned.

1. GSCE graphics are much cleaner when set via Nvidia Control Panel and/or Nvidia Inspector, as opposed to the in-game Display options.

2. Editing the GSCE config.exe should precede config.ini editing, as it may reset the latter.

3. Replacing the default d3d9.dll with the clamping d3d9.dll can reduce eliminate/eliminate distant jaggies, at the expense of on-screen track maps (which I guess are enabled with the original d3d9.dll)?

4. The clamping d3d9.dll is a better option than any of the other links posted in the Nvidia forum clamping thread?

1. From what I've read, supersampling is a useful graphical option so long as it is equal to another anti-aliasing option (multisampling or anti-aliasing, I can't remember). It seems that can only be enabled with Nvidia Inspector, so is it ok to adjust Nvidia CP and Inspector, or does one supercede the other?

2. I have a 3770K CPU running at 4.3 GHz, a GTX 780, 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. If I can indeed enable supersampling, what should setting should I try initially (single 1440p monitor at 59 Hz)?

3. Assuming I can also adjust NCP settings, should I keep Anisotrophic at 16x and AA at 16xQ (vs. 32x)?

4. I thought I read to disable in-game Display settings (specifically AA), but that doesn't appear possible. What should I then set in-game AA to (Blilinear, Trilinear, 2x, 4x, 8x etc.)?

5. I know 1440p monitors are fairly rare in sim racing, but does anyone know if the adage that anti-aliasing is wasted at 1440p is correct? I often have difficulty distinguishing between graphical options in many games (e.g. the ubersampling option in Witcher 2 was provided in 2011 for future proofing, as few, if any, GPUs could handle it at the time. Although it halves my fps to 35, I'm not sure I could accurately identify it in ABX blind testing), but I do notice shimmering guard rails and jaggy lane lines in GSCE.

I think that's it, and I apologize for the length, but if I've missed anything important, please let me know, as I'd like GSCE to look as good as possible, if not as good as it drives!

Thanks,

Henk

1. yes but also more resource demanding

2. correct. everytime you run config.exe config.ini is beeing overwritten

3. not a nvidia user but that dll enables the clamp bias setting in newer nvidia drivers so yes it will help. to get back clear textures increase anisotropic filtering. trackmap will not show but maybe theres a way around

4. sorry no idea. amd user

1b. NV inspector will override cp. no need for both. inspector is adequate enough

2b. theres no ideal value. as high as your pc can handle

3b. whats ncp?

4b. i suppose u mean AF right? trilinear

Much appreciated, Spyros!
So I'll just adjust Inspector (NCP is Nvidia Control Panel) according to a couple of screenshots posted earlier, edit config.ini, replace the d3d9.dll and set anisotrophic filtering in-game to trilinear.

Then I just need to figure out how to set up my steering and I'll be set.

Thanks again for your help, Christian and Spyros. Although I miss the plug n' play that consoles offer, I'm glad I finally made the switch!

Henk

Thanks,

Henk

1. Yes, but you will generally see a performance drop, personally in GSCE I run AA from in game.
Running from the card in my instance blurred distant textures, SS + AF helped but the overall look in my opinion was less. I highly think this is down to scaling in surround, technically im running 5982X1080, and SLI bits.
A general rule running AA off the card is, you try it, sometimes for fixing performance issues, other times to increase visual quality. It used to be standard back in the day to increase performance, these days performance generally takes a hit.
With programs like NVidia inspector or Nvidia control panel, you would generally tweak everything else along with AA to get the best performance vs visual quality.
Im lucky enough to have some reasonably good hardware, 2x GTx 780 3gb ocs and a 3930k at 4.5Ghz so a lot of games are set and forget but if your into sims (flight simmer here), play console ports, your hardware is starting to age, DX9 games, your getting anomalies or of course just like to tweak, Nvidia inspector/Control panel and editing configs is what you will spend a lot of time on.

2. Yes

3. Yes, in my case performance increased also.

4. Yes, there is a wombat DLL, and a couple of others (even windows DLL).
Wombat DLL works well for fixing performance with shadows on NVidia cards and clamps also (from memory) but not working for win 8.1.

"And a few, perhaps easily answered questions"

1. Super sampling is usually only enabled if you have a lot of room to move, not so bad on older engines as you generally do have that room.
I have read setting it to you AA can help in certain games, WOFF springs to mind but generally in my experience it doesn't matter but I don't generally have to play with it too much.
Nvidia inspector will set Nvidia Control panel.

2. Nice Rig.
With SS, probably work from low to high, up to you.

3. Use Nvidia inspector.

4. Use trilinear.

5. Higher the res vs monitor size, less AA is needed, you will know what looks good when you see it, personally I would still run 4X but no experience with 1440p.
With supersampling it can have knock on effects, but generally you should notice less blurry, especially at distance, but again no experience with 1440p.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I think I've got it...

But, one last question.

I have three GSCE game folders; a clean version, a mod trial version, and a final modded version that I swap mods in and out of with JGSME. I haven't renamed any GSC.exes, so I assume my Nvidia Inspector settings will apply to all three instances, but if I do rename the latter two (for shortcut/start menu purposes), can I simply add those renamed .exes to Inspector?

Hope that makes some sense.

Henk

Thankfully, I gleaned that top tip (from this forum, no less) just after downloading the game. A single install would be a disaster; in addition to my Windows - and Windows Explorer - incompetence (and because of it), I actually edit files, and pretend to skin, on my MacBook Pro. Moving multi-gig directories between machines, recklessly merging folders, and affirming various replace folders/files dialogs impulsively, demands an unmolested install (with a D drive backup on standby) alongside my modded copies. Without JGSME handling mod management, however, I'd be adding & trashing installs pretty much ceaselessly.

That said, until I stumble upon some proper steering settings, it's all a bit pointless.

Henk

Thanks!
How can I verify the dll is used in the GSCE config?

Christian Casey said:

Direct3D9 gave us Shader models 1, 2 and 3.
DirectX 9.0C introduced shader model 3 (and profiles ps_3_0, vs_3_0).

That is, in essence, what the dropdownlist is intended for, the shader level.

D3D9 is one of the dynamic link libs provided by DX9 (D3D8 by DX8, etc).

What Wombat (and techade, as well as Boris V. with the ENB dll) did was to provide a proxy dll that is loaded instead of the DX9 original one (residing in the Windows system folders), much like Microsoft itself did with (years ago) D3Dspy.

It's what we call an interceptor, creating Direct3DCreate9 and appropriate interface (IDirect3DDevice9), filtering the calls to the D3d9, and allowing us to treat the information and manipulate/change it in specific ways (for instance, allowing for the back buffer to be resized or emptied on 8800 cards) and also finally calling the system's d3d9.dll (which direct calls to the gfx card itself).

Like Casey said, making sure the app (rFactor, GSC) calls DX9 is the way to ensure the interceptor dll.

As a side note, one curious fact: GTL, GTR2, rF benefited from having techade's or wombat's dll's. Not so with Race07 (both steam and offline versions, iirc), which indicates SIMBIN took care of the back buffer problem - if you use it with Race07, performance gets hammered, severely.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%