GT5 Polyphony release new GT5 game details

Nope not a release date but GT Planet has the scoop on the following list of game features released by Polyphony today:

BREAKING NEWS: Just released via Polyphony Digital’s website. Thanks to Black Chamber for the complete translation!
August 18, GamesCom, held in Cologne, Germany:
Gran Turismo 5 has been announced! Here is the latest information on the game design:

Models included
1,000 vehicles
170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, the interior corresponds to vehicle damage)
830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over to GT5) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before ]

Courses
60 courses confirmed with 20 or more to be revealed

Physical simulation of vehicles
Physics system simulation is brand new
Represented is full fall in vehicles [possibly rollover]
Damage representation (reproduced in full by real-time collision deformation)
faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla model

Arcade Mode
Single Race
2 player battle

GT Mode
World Map
My Garage
Car Dealer
Tuning Shop (parts, tires)
Car Washes/Oil Change
Race Championship (Series system, point system)
License Test

Open Lobby
Text / Voice Chat
Private rooms
Online Photo Album
Online Replay Album
YouTube replay output

Photo Mode
Photo Drive (Circuit)
Photo stage (Stage Photo mode only)

Gran Turismo TV
Video output to a PSP or PSP Go®
Progressive Download
Improved
user interface
Continuous Play for videos

Museums
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue version, + more information at TGS

Sound
Custom soundtracks (Use songs from your PS3 hard-drive)
Dolby Digital 5.1 and 7.1

User Interface
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the same design concept. The icons change color
Able to track
the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)

One of the most important features for me which I am relieved to see listed is the addition of private lobbys which is a must for racing groups like the ones here and hopefully we can organise some online races. I'm hoping as one of the flagship Sony titles it will also include HOME support, maybe in a patch if not on release. With the RD HOME club up and running it would be great to meet in the club house to get set up then launch the game. The online pictures and movies will be handy as will the Youtube support. A big surprise if true is the PSEye support which sounds like we'll have proper TrackIR type head tracking support

Damage representation (reproduced in full by real-time collision deformation)
faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars

Photo Mode

Able to track the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)
*Jumps around and bangs head on ceiling*

It's not 100% clear yet whether there are 170 models with interiors (the rest without) or 170 models with interiors that can be damaged and the rest are non-damageable. It's likely to be the latter considering Polyphony's attention to detail. Would be a huge dent if it's the former though.

I think:

Racecars with Damage,
Streetcars without damage (due to manufacturers not liking that at all)

all cars with interior, since in GTP all cars have interior and it would be unfinished if not all cars have interiors (imo) Racecars have interior deformation.

so 830 Street Cars without damage but full interior
170 Racecars With damage and full interior which also responds to damage.

thats my take on it :)

I read it the same way as Sander, though lets remember this article was translated from the Polyphony Japanese site and so may have lost some things in translation. I was more focused on the huge positive additions of private races and head tracking, that last bit alone had me searching the net for a good price on the Playstation Eye camera :)

• Bert Van Waes

*Jumps around and bangs head on ceiling*

You're not the only one. Yes Mark, pics in the car 360° around with awesome represents of the drivers... OMG this beats anything on console racing by miles only with this tiny info........

Waaaaaaa, and then look at the rest....

Wooot Woooot

GT hart is pumping again, bigtime!

LOL thats one way of looking at it. Polyphony have been pretty good supporting GT5P so maybe with this generation of consoles having the ability to download content we may get a Porsche pack later on down the line if Polyphony can do a deal. Its odd though that Forza and NFS: Shift will have Porsche's and GT5 won't.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 285 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 40.0%