GT Sport Polyphony is on a hiring spree

Gran Turismo Logo.jpg

Looks like Polyphony Digital is trying to shift development for Gran Turismo 7 into the next gear as the Japanese studio is in fact looking for personnel to fill 13 new work positions, and judging from these job postings, we could, at long last, see an improvement in the AI - which is the series' infamous weakness.

The postings are available at the official Polyphony website (and have been translated by Dualshockers) and are for the following positions: "AI Engineer, Online Engineer, Graphics Engineer, Game Engine Development Engineers, Game Script Engineers, Sound Development Engineer, Data Engineer, Test Build Engineer, Pipeline Tool Development Engineer, Mobile Application Engineer, In-House Tool Development Engineer, Vehicle Simulation Development Engineer and Physics Engine Development Engineer".

According to the translated content, the studio wants to improve the "positional awareness of AI drivers", "giving them a more human-like behavior". Surely good news for GT fans, but Polyphony is also looking to implement specific racing rules for each series and "missions" (no idea as to what they could entail). The Playstation 4 GPU is going to be used for physics calculations, too, but once again there's no further details on this.

This hiring spree might mean that the game is at an advanced development phase, and that Polyphony might announce something at the Tokyo Game Show, which is taking place 17-19 September.

Are you looking forward to Gran Turismo 7? Do you think it's going to be a fearsome rival for Assetto Corsa and Project Cars on Playstation 4? Let us know in the comments!

• Deleted member 151827

For ac to compete in any console racing game Kunos will have to totally revamp career mode! And much more content! This comment is in response to the question "is gt7 a fearful rival on ps4".

Some of us, maybe a lot, would not be into SIM racing if it was not for Gran Turismo. Easy access, console so not a big investment, lots of different shiny cars, not a bad thing and AI and career not to demanding, so it is fun. Yes fun, as what a game is supposed to be.
Some people did not stick to the car racing genre, some are still at the GT stage and some have developed in appreciating finer racing game, or SIM as we like to call them.
GT7 will hopefully still fulfil his role has introducing new comers to our great hobby. And, hopefully, AC and others will keep them interested.
We do not need any SIM to be like the other, because all of us have a slightly different interest in the genre, and even enjoy the particularities of each and every one of them.
The perfect SIM cannot exist because the perfect SIM driver does not exist either. Vive la difference!

I have a little game that i play with P CARS, called lets tweak FFB :). Every so often I decide to put in hours trying to make P CARS feel more like A/C, rFactor 2 or RaceRoom (my 3 favorites). I keep reading posts and seeing youtubes about how great the game is but for me, no matter what I do, it feels like I'm driving on glass. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and I love the night races, but it feels like my old faithful Forza 4, which I consider to be good simcade (though heavily leaning on the arcade side of the scale).
Without getting into the pc vs console debate, there does seem to be a difference in feel between pc sims and console games. It seems like games/sim that were designed with controllers in mind don't have the same tactile feeling with wheels. My fear is that A/C will lose it's feeling when it goes to the console. Add to that the fact that A/C doesn't have the graphics, sounds or content of P CARS or Forza and I think it could be a recipe for failure. I can understand the business logic behind going "mainstream" to bring in more revenue but I guess for me as a fan of A/C, I'd rather it stay a boutique title for those who appreciate what it offers and let the masses have GT, P CARS and Forza. Just like Iracing kind of stands alone for online racing, I think PC sims and console simcades should be considered separate as well...all fun but not equal.

Appreciating the immersive aspect of a game and being competitive are two different discussions.
Physic and FFB particularities are easier to distinguish with a wheel, but will not make you faster. Talent and understanding how to exploit the particular aspect of a specific game will make you fast.
Some people enjoy the immersion, other enjoy the competition aspect of the game, most gamers fit somewhere in between on the scale. Nothing wrong with using a controller, but the perception of what is going on is very different from using a wheel.

GT3 was the last GT I actually enjoyed, GT4.. lol what a joke not to mention the online failure.. GT5 was to change that, hype was over 9000... I bought a PS3 JUST FOR GT, collectors edition, and only I played maybe 2 hours.. Nothing has changed since GT3, sorry but it hasn't. From what I've seen and read GT6 really hasn't either.

SO will I buy a PS4 and GT7? Only if they redo EVERY F'ing sound! tire/tyre squeal first, and if their going to call it a SIM.. It needs to be one.

I would LOVE it if they showed how stupidly over powered the PS4 is and release something that actually uses physics and goes after their sim crowd.. which seems quite large..

Supports some real inputs and make use of that goofy helmet.. Oh and triple screen, yes I'd by 3 PS4's - although a single PS4 should be powerful enough to run triples.

Sadly I'm sure it will be a relabeled GT6 with more Hondas..

Appreciating the immersive aspect of a game and being competitive are two different discussions.
Physic and FFB particularities are easier to distinguish with a wheel, but will not make you faster. Talent and understanding how to exploit the particular aspect of a specific game will make you fast.
Some people enjoy the immersion, other enjoy the competition aspect of the game, most gamers fit somewhere in between on the scale. Nothing wrong with using a controller, but the perception of what is going on is very different from using a wheel.

BUT i only play to be competitive, don know or care about people who drive just to drive,
i do that on the daily basis, on real life ...
I do have a wheel but i only have time to sim drive at the end of the day, (tired) so instead of using a wheel i prefer laying down and use a controller and relax,

And you seem to forget the point i was making, (responding to the guy who said this game can be played with a controller so its not a sim...)

I can play any sim with a controller and good luck beating my times.

Since I've entered with more dedication in the world of simracing never saw GT and Forza with the same eyes.

I mean, I am really an oldschool fan of GT but they both, GT and Forza Motorsports goes on a different approach with a "relaxed" physics and others points that compromises it's "reality compromise". It's not necessarily a problem but when you try to be more and more next to the reality it's necessary to have a PC and goes on these simulators we know.

Since GT4 we have lot more and more concerns about the game and it's growing since then from 4 to 5, from 5 to 6 and maybe from 6 to 7...

I hope PD wake up and give us a notable evolution in GT7 now we have Project CARS growing and Asseto Corsa coming next year but I'm not sure we can say we will see a more realistic simulation. Maybe a better realistic visuals than we saw in Driveclub...and nothing more...

Since I've entered with more dedication in the world of simracing never saw GT and Forza with the same eyes.

I mean, I am really an oldschool fan of GT but they both, GT and Forza Motorsports goes on a different approach with a "relaxed" physics and others points that compromises it's "reality compromise". It's not necessarily a problem but when you try to be more and more next to the reality it's necessary to have a PC and goes on these simulators we know.

Since GT4 we have lot more and more concerns about the game and it's growing since then from 4 to 5, from 5 to 6 and maybe from 6 to 7...

I hope PD wake up and give us a notable evolution in GT7 now we have Project CARS growing and Asseto Corsa coming next year but I'm not sure we can say we will see a more realistic simulation. Maybe a better realistic visuals than we saw in Driveclub...and nothing more...

The thing is, they still aren't listening to their target audience. Take the car list for example. PD has already stated that they are going to keep the Premium and Standard cars from the previous cars. Hardly no one is asking for that, everyone wants the cars at least to the premium level of detail yet PD refuses to listen and in my opinion, they're doing it to simply embelish their car count. Its ridiculous to have cars modeled with today's level of graphics with no interior at all for a driving/racing sim, yet PD continues with the "standard" cars and nothing but a black interior.

And don't even get me started on the terrible car audio that has been carried over since probably the original GT. Every other racing game/sim has MUCH more realistic car sounds and GT has been recycling those same old car sounds since the beginning.

PD doesn't have the money, resources, and technology anymore to compete with games like Forza and PD is too damn stubborn to change their ancient ways of designing their games. That's why they've been left behind and that's why I don't see any hope for their future.

I agree when you said PD doesn't have money anymore, however I still thinking they both, Forza and Gran Turismo goes in a different approach...A sim-like or whatever name we can use to refer to them not like a pure simulator.

Commercially Forza is today what GT was a decade (or more) ago. Turn 10 is ascending with Forza and PD is descending with GT.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back