GT Sport Polyphony Digital Secure Porsche Licence For Gran Turismo Sport

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 2.jpg

Polyphony Digital have secured the rights to bring the Porsche brand to the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport game for Sony PlayStation 4.

Absolutely long gone are the days when a Porsche was only seen outside of an Electronic Arts game courtesy of third party modding teams, now Polyphony Digital become the latest race game developers to confirm the German brand will be appearing in one of their games this year with Gran Turismo Sport as the beneficiary.

With Gran Turismo Sport due for release sometime within the current year, gaming giants Polyphony Digital have confirmed a deal has been secured some time ago to bring a selection of Porsche cars to the upcoming FIA endorsed PlayStation 4 racing game. Although exactly which models from the German manufacturers' enviable line up of cars has yet to be revealed, we can already see the 911 GT3 RS in game and looking like a finished product from the images included in this article.

So exciting times ahead for Gran Turismo Sport players as yet another developer manages to snag a once illusive licence that has been missing from sim racing for far too long...

Gran Turismo 6 is the current latest title from Polyphony Digital. GT Sport is scheduled for release during 2017 for Sony PlayStation 4.

Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 3.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 4.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 5.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 6.jpg

Don't forget to check out the Gran Turismo Series sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of all the latest news and discussion around these racing games. We have a dedicated section for GT6 and for the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport release, so stay tuned for all the information as and when it becomes available.

Are you happy to see Porsche in GT Sport? What other brands would you like to see added to the game? Which Porsche models do you hope make an appearance? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
You shouldn't practice abstination, some say it's generally bad for you. :D And no, I never "proclaimed" GT is the best, read again. I said Nissan, out of all partnerships with game makers, chose PD to start the academy with, and that this project is currently the only one producing racers from gamers. And.. LOL. GT Academy graduates "had skills from the beginning"? What beginning? You could say Jim Clark "had skills from the beginning" too, along the same lines. He was a farmer, driving tractors as a kid. :)
Talking to You is less entertaining than staring at a blank wall...

Talking to You is less entertaining than staring at a blank wall...

That's a pretty natural reaction you're having, Piotr. :) If you want your ego groomed, avoid talking to everyone you don't agree with instead of entering discussions lacking a grasp of the subject or any palpable argument. ("blank wall?")

Lol's on you, not ISI/Studio 397, who provide us with the best PC simulation/engine money can buy today. Can't turn around without bumping into "purists" lacking logic or able to do a basic google search around here, it seems. ;)

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/707208-gran-turismo-6/67273954
http://www.virtualr.net/real-life-drivers-prepare-with-rfactor-videos
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/10/video-exclusive-inside-an-f1-teams-driving-simulator/

This is Studio 397 (for lols):
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/first-vr-pictures-from-rfactor-2-break-cover.134511/

Last edited:
Funny logic. So the automotive media is conspiring to publicize GT more than Assetto Corsa and iRacing, and this is because publicity is of course free, right? :)

As for your statement about physics being less important than visuals, pCars should probably produce the best racers out there (EDIT: snap, GT Sport is the only sim supporting HDR and wide color, so in your opinion it should take top spot). And that's probably the main reason why most teams in motorsport, from F1 to GT racing, use rFactor Pro as their simulator of choice.
You read too much (and what people never said) into what people wrote. I didn't write that the media is conspiring against anyone. I also didn't say GT should take the top spot. Edit: Also for some reason you're ignoring the context in your comment, I never said physics are less important than visuals.

Last edited:
By all means, you've expressed yourself pretty clearly, and I quote: "In terms of making race drivers out of GT players... I think physics aren't necessarily the most important part here. As long as it lines up relatively well with reality and the tracks are accurate it's more important to learn the basics of driving, racing, and reference points of tracks."

This to me what you said equals with: physics isn't paramount, but the visual representation of tracks tends to be top.

And no, you don't learn to be fast in real life from a videogame because the in-game tracks are VISUALLY accurate; the only way you can translate the time spent in virtual racing into something useful in real life - better laptimes - is if CAR PHYSICS are justly represented in the videogame and you learn and understand the physical causality of your actions behind the virtual wheel before switching to the real car. This is how you can learn car handling from a videogame even if the only track you have is a skidpad: if the virtual representation of your real car is as close to 1:1 as possible. You cannot copy-paste braking points from videogame to reality if the car physics is bad but the graphics are using DX12. And this is the exact reason why a majority of teams in motorsport use ISI products for driver training: a solid and customizable physics engine in the first place. Ask around.

I must thank the admins for the opportunity to get a decent snapshot of what the community is today: split up and full of fanboysm, if not fanaticism. The old Gran Turismo post does the trick every time, no matter how good at representing reality the latest iteration in the franchise is; if it's on a Playstation, it's good for the arcade. And it must be a secret to most of those sharing that view that GT6's physics were powered by a partnership with KW Automotive and Yokohama (see here).

Can do. If it's accurately simulated... What's your point?

I've already stated my point. My point is that if the physics is crap, the visual realism can be 1000%, it will be of no use. If the tires, suspension and brakes aren't properly simulated, the game's braking points can't mean much in real life, can they? Need a concrete example?

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 89 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years