Podium DD's VS Simucube 2's

Hi guys, the past while I was trying to find good comparisons between these two models of dd's. Has anyone tested both ? I understand that the software for these aren't complete yet but is there any clear winner here ? thanks.

I've been using an OSW (basically, the SC-1) for the past 3 years, so I'm biased. I upgraded to the 4.2M pulse encoder a year ago, and that made a fantastic wheel just about perfect. There's been surprisingly few reviews and comparisons of the Podium DD wheels. There's also been a few reports of problems with the Podium DD wheel right here (look in this subforum, disconnects and other problems reported).

My OSW has been flawless for 3 years. I was able to painlessly upgrade to the latest firmware, drivers, and tech throughout. That says something. Other than early issues with EMI if you didn't ground it properly, I'm not aware of any issues anyone has had with the system. All the good experience has been transferred to the SC-2. If I needed to replace my wheel (and I don't), I'd go straight for the SC-2.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Argon OSW - 4 years of flawless service and endless fun, SC2 Pro is coming in September.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Also genuinely curios, are there any ex OSW, SC1 users who opted for Podium instead of SC2 and why.

Upvote 0
GamerMuscle recently got a DD1 and was comparing it to his simplicity small mige OSW, which is about the closest comparsion I have heard. He said those two solutions were very close but the DD1 was smoother and less prone to erratic behaviour like in crashes whereas the OSW was slightly more rough and responsive but also required setup to get it to be less so.

He is working on a review and I hope he will address it there.

Upvote 0
I have been on the fence for a while and rooting for Fanatec to win me over.

I originally thought Fanatec's key strength was their huge assortment of wheels and their eco system.

So I look at my Fanatec equipment and I replaced my pedals, H patten shifter and hand brake. The replacements are all much better.

Next I look at my wheels. The McLaren GT3 wheel has had issues. On top of this I just upgraded mine with the Sim Racing Machines shifter upgrade and it feels MUCH better now.

My 918 wheel is pretty nice. I also upgraded it's shifters with magnets and they shift a bit nicer, but the buttons on the wheel are not the best.

So I fell in lust with the Precision Sim Engineering wheel. To my eyes it looks perfect. It's not cheap and neither were some of my upgrades.

My experience to date is that Fanatec makes good stuff and they have a solid eco system, but they aren't actually the best at anything in my experience to date.

So when I look at the SC2 Pro at the same price as the DD2, my thought is now that the SC2 Pro is actually a bargain compared with DD2.

I wanted the DD2 to be just as good, and I already know this isn't about driving faster or better it's about reliability, longevity and quality.

Anyway I've ordered an SC2 Pro and Precision SIM engineering GT3 wheel to go with it. I'll be giving all my Fanatec equipment to my son.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

GamerMuscle recently got a DD1 and was comparing it to his simplicity small mige OSW, which is about the closest comparsion I have heard. He said those two solutions were very close but the DD1 was smoother and less prone to erratic behaviour like in crashes whereas the OSW was slightly more rough and responsive but also required setup to get it to be less so.

He is working on a review and I hope he will address it there.
SC1 vs DD1, not super useful as people upgrading from SC1 to SC2 report improvements across the board.
Still better than nothing, looking forward to it.

Upvote 0
He said those two solutions were very close but the DD1 was smoother and less prone to erratic behaviour like in crashes whereas the OSW was slightly more rough and responsive but also required setup to get it to be less so.

There are different filters and smoothing that can be applied that make a huge difference in the SimuCube software for SC1 (and SC2) so it could be a tuning issue as well.

Lets cross fingers that SRG do a video comparing SC1, SC2, DD1 and DD2 when the Fanatec software is ready, that would be awesome.

I'm on a SC1 since 2 1/2 years, over 2.5k hours without any issues so SC1 is extremly solid. If google you do find both DD1/2 and SC2 owners with different issues, but might have been the same for SC1 in the begining.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

SC2 - different motors, different encoders, different electronic board, heavily modified FW and SW with new filters. I am surprised there are any similarities at all.

Upvote 0
I had a large Mige OSW for about 1.5 years, a true Simucube 1 for another 1.5 yrs, currently an Accuforce, and in September will have an SC2 Pro. I'll let you know how it compares in September :)

The only thing that worries me is some people reporting a lot of heat with the SC2 Pro. These things are supposed to be way overengineered / overbuilt and supposed to last a lifetime so the following reports are worrying: https://community.granitedevices.com/t/sc2-pro-possibly-overheating-and-losing-ffb/3157

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If Fanatec did better than the first SimuCube with their first direct drive wheel using unfinished software, I'd say that's a good thing. It means that Fanatec is still improving their software. Many people who tried the DD1/DD2 side by side nearly a year ago considered the DD wheels comparable with preferences going in different directions. Also remember that until the SC2 was released, people were saying the SimuCube 1 and OSW wheels had everything a person needed and that Fanatec couldn't compete with that. Funny how those products are now irrelevant. :O_o:

I think we can take it as fact that both the SimuCube 2 and DD wheel bases have all the hardware needed to create an excellent experience. Asking which is best is a moot point. Having one over the other will not make a difference in a race, period.

At this point the software that drives these wheels is everything! It's entirely possible that each company will have the "best" feel for certain people based on the release dates of their software.

So forget about that for a minute.

Assuming they both offer identical performance, what differentiates them that you care about ?

That is what you should be focusing on.

In my case I have no Fanatec ecosystem to worry about. I've upgraded all my components with what the promised Podium level components will compete with whenever they arrive. I have no idea how long they will take to design and put into production or if they can compete with the high end components already out there.

I've also decided I like the higher end wheels available and I think it is silly to spend another $200 for each wheel for an adapter to allow me to use them on a DD wheelbase.

If you are perfectly happy with all your Fanatec controls and wheels, or will be happy to wait for new Podium level controls to be released before upgrading your controls, get a DD1 or DD2. It's simple. If you are thinking about upgrades, then things get a bit murkier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, since I'm currently on a CSW v2.5 i figure either one in terms of improvement in feedback will suit me fine. My focus regarding a deciding factor is reliable performance. From what I'm seeing, the Simucube 2 looks to be the winner here. I'm a Fanatec fan since everything I've purchased from them has not given me a lick of trouble (yes, i do own the GT3 wheel and was an early adopter to boot). Going to a DD would be much more convenient for me but if i was pulling the trigger now, i would order a Simucube 2.

Still early days for both units though.

Upvote 0
I would consider both DD1/2 and SC2 both high end consumer level products, SC1 on other hand is based on industrial level components for 24/7 operation. However, SC1 firmware will from this point have little development as only a limited set of functions will be ported from the SC2 firmware.

I'm currently on the last generation of SC1 wheel, within a year or two there be more feedback regarding performance and reliability from both alternatives, if one would consider to upgrade to another unit.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I had a large Mige OSW Simucube 1 for 3 years, now an Accuforce Pro v2, and in September a Simucube 2 Pro. I'll let you know how it compares in September :)

The only thing that worries me is some people reporting a lot of heat with the SC2 Pro. These things are supposed to be way overengineered / overbuilt and supposed to last a lifetime so the following reports are worrying: https://community.granitedevices.com/t/sc2-pro-possibly-overheating-and-losing-ffb/3157
It looks like isolated case though, most likely defective unit.

Upvote 0
I do not have a DD, but it is on my list, so I am curious.
Is this statement accurate, is it where we are at?
If so does it mean that a second hand DD wheel should be fine if coupled with the latest software?

Getting the "latest software" with an older DD wheel is a bit of an issue. SimuCube 1 is now longer being actively developed for. They will send some new features back, but it is not a priority for them. OSW is open source so I can only assume there will be some development for them. I don't know exactly how they compare.

There was another thread where someone was complaining about this very fact and the question about how long a SC2 will continue to get software updates. The answer is... ???????

I see that Barry is still frequently using his Leo Bodnar setup after saying that he had gotten an SC2 Pro feeling the best he had ever felt in one or two titles. I suspect that a Leo Bodnar unit would have support for the foreseeable future, but I know little about them.

Also please keep in mind that I have never actually used a direct drive wheel, so when mine arrives that will be my first experience with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a large Mige OSW Simucube 1 for 3 years, now an Accuforce Pro v2, and in September a Simucube 2 Pro. I'll let you know how it compares in September :)

I would agree with @Andrew_WOT

My unit hasn't ever got even remotely warm. Even after a few non stop hours it is cool to the touch. GD are also very proactive in responding to the few issues that have arisen so you can feel confident that they will resolve any problems that may arise.

@RCHeliguy I'd love to see your facial expression when you take your first ride around Sebring with the DD. Make sure you have a really good grip on that rim when you take Sunset bend is all I can tell you :D

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years