Podium DD2 & DOF Reality P3 Mounting

So I finally stumped up the cash for a DD2 and the 911 GT3 R wheel, which I intend to put on my DOF Reality P3 motion rig.

Has anyone here got a DD2 or DD1 on a DOF Reality platform?
Would be interested to learn how you have it mounted.
I note that the P3's wheel mounting plate already has holes drilled for the triangular pattern, which is great.

I suppose my real concern is stability and flexing, this is a very heavy motor and of course strong, I do have some strengthening of the P3 in place already, and have further plans that will be implemented when the wheel arrives next week.

But would love to see or learn about what others have done.

Heres a pic of what I have done to reduce flex with the handbrake and shifter.

Thanks and stay safe :)

20200327_121351.jpg

Hiya, afraid I can't offer any advice here, but I am due to take delivery of the P3 rig, having ordered over the weekend, so would be interested to hear about this too. I ordered the 'extra strengthening wheel support bracket', which I believe fits exactly where you have placed yours to be on the safe side. Igor at Dof Reality seemed to suggest flex wouldn't be a problem - and I currently own a 2.5v wheel with intent to upgrade to DD so would be keen to find out!
Cheers

Upvote 0
Hiya, afraid I can't offer any advice here, but I am due to take delivery of the P3 rig, having ordered over the weekend, so would be interested to hear about this too. I ordered the 'extra strengthening wheel support bracket', which I believe fits exactly where you have placed yours to be on the safe side. Igor at Dof Reality seemed to suggest flex wouldn't be a problem - and I currently own a 2.5v wheel with intent to upgrade to DD so would be keen to find out!
Cheers

Congratulations on the purchase. Its a great bit of kit.

However, the provided wheel base plate is not good enough to support a DD wheel like a Fanatec Podium wheel. Not just because of stability, but also because of adjustability. This is my experience only, I cannot speak for others.

I test mounted the DD2 on the original wheel plate and the angle was just all wrong, the top of the stering wheel was angled downwards and there was no way to adjust this at all, I tried using spacers to change the angle, but this was never going to work. Not only this, but the amount of flex was concerning me. These DD wheels are very powerful, and weigh nearly 10kg.

So I got my saw out, a ruler and a few lengths of 40x40 aluminium profile and went to work.

Here is what I ended up with.

Firstly I cut the original wheel support legs, just a few cm above the top hole. Reused the end cap to keep things looking as neat as possible. This is the right side.

20200404_002258.jpg

Its was important to get the spacing of the original wheel support legs correct for the two 40x40 upright profiles to align correctly,

20200404_002350.jpg

This is the left side, note that the original wheel support leg is on the opposite side when compared to the right side.

20200404_002222.jpg

These brackets allow for angle and height adjustment to be made quickly and easily.

20200404_002234.jpg

20200404_002303.jpg

Underside of the DD2

20200404_002416.jpg

I also beefed up the support for the handbrake and shifter mount. I shall do the same for the right side.

20200404_002454.jpg

I am very happy with how the P3 now operates, there was no way that the original wheel support would have been good enough to support this DD wheel, again, these were my findings, I cannot say what others have experienced.

If anyone wants dimensions, let me know. I am not very good with DIY etc etc, I just eyed it all up and roughly measured stuff and this is how it turned out!

Upvote 0
This post is exactly what I needed. About to order my H3 tonight(soon to sell my dofrealy mp2 and sim lab GT1 evo)...Im craving that full rig movement and traction loss/Yaw.......I was very worried about adding my other stuff(shifter, handbrake, aiolog shiter, button box) but you gave some good ideas on how to resolve that. How is that traction loss/yaw? A game changer?

Upvote 0
This post is exactly what I needed. About to order my H3 tonight(soon to sell my dofrealy mp2 and sim lab GT1 evo)...Im craving that full rig movement and traction loss/Yaw.......I was very worried about adding my other stuff(shifter, handbrake, aiolog shiter, button box) but you gave some good ideas on how to resolve that. How is that traction loss/yaw? A game changer?

Well I am glad that this has helped you out.

I think for the money you wont find many platforms like this. Don't get me wrong, it isn't perfect, but with some modifications here and there, it can become excellent. I am now very happy with the way it is performing after making the changes shown in the pictures above.

As for traction loss. It adds another level of immersion, which is only a good thing when it comes to sim racing right?! I have found that I have needed to reduce the amount of yaw movement when using a VR headset as too much movement causes issues with tracking. But for use with a screen/s its excellent!

As an aside, I choose to go with 40x40 profile to keep the weight down, you could use 80x40 for the majority of the structure, but I am a rather large chap at 6' 2" and 100kg! If you are of smaller stature, you could beef things up with 80x40, but so far I have not experienced any flex with the wheel mounted in the way I have now. So for me at least 40x40 is all thats needed.

Upvote 0
Hey, apologies for my delayed response, my personal thanks for sharing this; it’s been really helpful - greatly appreciated!

So far I’ve been really enjoying my new Dof Reality rig thanks and have started to get to grips with it - really is a great piece of kit!

So far I’d say, that during normal use (my normal is Dirt Rally 2.0), I’ve only noticed a little flex when using it with my 2.5v Fanatec base. If however I push or pull on the wheel, then flex definitely becomes noticeable - something I’d agree could be problematic for a DD wheelbase.

I’d be interested to see if the extra support strut that Dof Reality supply helps sufficiently enough to use a DD wheel. Whereas I was considering fitting it, I discovered that it goes between your legs, something that being fairly tall would make it much harder for me to get in and out of the rig, (annoyingly the exact placement of this strut isn’t clear prior to purchase). If I try it out I’ll be sure to update you, (though I much prefer your solution!). I also found the wheel mount plate to be a bit limited - there are only one set of holes for fixing the Fanatec 2.5v for example.

I think I will look to doing something similar as you, using v-slot 40x40, (I already used this approach to mount a transducer under the pedal plate). I am aiming to upgrade to DD in a couple of months, so had just started to wondering about the suitability (& angle) of mounting plate, so your post has been super helpful, thanks!

I also wanted to mention that I like the Reckhorn puck mounting plates you use, did you make these? And do you find they work well placed here? I have buttkicker gamer2’s mounted here, (as well as an ADX Maxiumus under the pedal plate), although I also have 2 Reckhorn pucks (not presently mounted) that I was considering swapping around with the buttkickers, as they are heavy and stick out, so any details on the mounting plate would be very useful if available :)

For me, and so far this is an excellent motion rig, and one that I am very happy with, it’s just I can see there are some areas that can be improved, and it’s fun to make it a little it more your own as well as enhancing it!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Just to tag onto this, I just got my P3 and working on assembling it now. I bought the extra support and a problem. Only one anchor point for the DD1 accessible. Looks like I may have to hack away at the support structure as well. My wheel is pretty level right now. The other annoying bit is that the screws for the wheel plate are not flush. hmm....

20200514_155810.jpg
20200514_155819.jpg
20200514_160615.jpg

Unrelated, is the damper supposed to be mounted that way? I have mine mounted to the base not to the motor.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone.
Here's some input regarding the stability and support of the wheel mount section of DOF Reality (mine's an H3)...
There are 5 positions along the central bar for the mounting of the 2 vertical arms. Use positions 1 and 5. This spacing gives a more solid start. Then extend the pedal plate sideways using aluminium and Brace from this extended pedal plate back to the vertical arms. Aluminium Extrusion would would be a better material, but near impossible to get here in UAE so I used angle. Steering column solid, with no bar between your legs.

Attachments

• 15980711559802853429121330079070.jpg
    15980711559802853429121330079070.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 434
  • 15980711909983407009203066971425.jpg
    15980711909983407009203066971425.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 15980712124521479645918208480135.jpg
    15980712124521479645918208480135.jpg
    753.1 KB · Views: 888
Upvote 0
If anyone wants dimensions, let me know. I am not very good with DIY etc etc, I just eyed it all up and roughly measured stuff and this is how it turned out!
Hi, I know it's been awhile but I was wondering if you could find your way to measure the horizontal resting aluminum profile of the Wheel mount section that I've marked on the picture?
To give me some idea, as I do not have any 40 x 40 vertical profiles yet And that's the only measurement I need before ordering To be accurate.

Attachments

• Inked20200404_202851.jpg
    Inked20200404_202851.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back