Please Help - PC Not Starting / DVD Drive Smoking...

Probably already been said, but I can't be bothered to read page, happened to me far more times than I can count.

Your DVD drive has shorted or your PSU has shorted your DVD drive. The result is normally catastrophic damage to your mainboard, Graphics card and RAM ( normally the CPU survives though, northbridge ftw :D).

Everytime I've had a power fault, I've had to rebuild. Just because your machine works right now, does not mean it is 100% ok. The first thing you need to do is run a memtest to make sure your RAM modules haven't been damaged, you could follow this up with a HDD error check, and finally, if you have a high end mainboard you may be able to run a benchmark test to make sure all the busses and chips are ok, if there is a persistent fault, one of the above will find it.

As for the DVD player, throw it away, buy a new one. Don't buy a cheap one, the same could and probably will happen. Don't buy a really expensive one, the laser will fail after a couple of year, buy midrange, less features, less expensive, more reliable - winner :D.

As for your PSU, the only way to test it fully, is to check for consistency with a voltmeter, check every single connection, not just the one the DVD player was plugged into, the surge could have passed through many areas of the machine, the fact the DVD player gave up, was only because it was weakest, not because that was where the fault was caused.

HTH

Perhaps if you had bothered to read the thread you would have found that he had already sent the parts back to the supplier and got the defective items replaced. There is no excuse to not reading a thread that you intend on replying to.

Perhaps if you had bothered to read the thread you would have found that he had already sent the parts back to the supplier and got the defective items replaced. There is no excuse to not reading a thread that you intend on replying to.

No need for that, really. Leave it to the moderators

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years