Playseat Challenge

Bazooka_Joe

Best of the worst, sometimes worst of the worst.
I'm planning to invest a little into something more sophisticated for my sim-racing attempts and need some advice, perhaps confirmation of my thoughts before splashing out.

Background
I'm currently using my desk and standard office chair which isn't just cutting it for me. The chair keeps going backwards every time when I'm braking and pressing clutch at the same time (or during an emergency braking procedure with no clutch), then to regain position I'm pulling myself back by holding the wheel. This process is repeated few times a lap. On top of that my better half is not happy as the wheel is always attached to my desk (lack of spare room so in lounge) as I can't be bothered to pack it to the box every time after each session.
I was looking for a chair, or a wheel stand (especially Wheel Stand Pro V2) but I don't think this will work as my sofa is quite far from TV and PC screen is only 23in, plus I'll have no way to prevent that from going away from me during the braking either, apart from chaining it to the sofa :)

Playseat Challenge chair
Then by accident I came across this seat.

challenge_6.jpg

It was like a love at the first sight :) Most important feature - it can be folded and put into storage easily, still with wheel attached, so after playing it's literally 1 minute to clear the room completely. Watched/read plenty of reviews and everyone seems to be happy with it. My wife likes it visually too, so it sounds like it might be it. The only thing is £140 for a racing looking deckchair sounds like a lot. I still quite like it, but at this price the decision is not a no-brainer. Add the gearbox attachment cost another £25 bringing it over the cost of the wheel itself (although I'm thinking of a home made attachment for it).

Since plenty of my friends are involved in social marketing I have very little trust into the overall verdicts (watching mostly to see the features/unboxing to know what to expect and trying to judge it myself) so I just wanted to double check before purchasing as I'm sure that in this wonderful community someone would have some first-hand experience of using it.

The questions:
I have some technical questions I couldn't find the answer for, targeting those who experienced this piece of kit:
1. On the scale 1 to 10 - how much would you rate it. I'm expecting a budget chair, not Vesaro £30k system with seat vibrations etc. so 10 is the best racing-deckchair ever :) ?
2. How large is it folded with a wheel (G27 here) - trying to find out whether it'll fit in preferred storage place?
3. Long term use - does it have some common faults - things to look at/prevent?
4. Is there any other interesting chair that would be better, or similar stuff but cheaper.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I remember someone posting a picture: the pedals were screwed on a board that was fixed on top of the front tubes (with a cut for the small front tube, to stop the board at the front). Not sure how it was fixed on the tubes tho… And of course I cannot find the image now! Don't remember where it was… :O_o:

Upvote 0
The included velcro belt is not doing it for me. I've had it for a while now and to be tightening it up every other time I get it out is not desirable. I use a load cell mod so it gets really annoying ensuring its placed correctly every time.
I think your answer is in your question. This product was unlikely ever intended to be used with anything other than a casual, consumer level wheel. Common sense would dictate the pressures involved in a load cell pedal would likely require a much more substantial mount - structurally integrated metal mounting plate like on say the Playseat evolution or higher - bolts/screws etc.
The challenge isn't designed for the far greater pressures developed by a load cell pedal base - "Velcro straps" is the first clue.
Perhaps you need some significant modification or perhaps just a better tool for the job? The evolution/revolution fold up nicely for storage - used to have one before I went down the OSW route. Of course despite its 'solid' metal construction, the evolution would have been at worst destroyed by the torques generated by a DD motor, at best it would have seen significant flex and shaking that would have created an undesirable experience. So just like you, I had to find a better tool for my job.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agree. But budget and time mean the investment was not appropriate.

And just to be clear. The use of the load cell is not the issue. The load cell pushes onto the back holder which holds up fine.

The issue is that when I fold it up, the pedal base slides down (i.e toward the seat) and because it's a load cell I have to make sure it is positioned correctly before I use the load cell as it may not be fine if it has shifted due to the lack of secure velcro fastening.

TLDR My issue is it shifting when being packed away and not in use.

Upvote 0
OK. So sounds like some macgyver'ing required with zip ties or the like....or just deal with the minor inconvenience of realigning when you use it? What kind of load cell are you using that's perfectly secure with a Velcro strap? I can feel my rig flex just a tiny bit when I stomp on my brake pedal and I'm working with 2" hardened carbon-steel frame!
Good luck.

Upvote 0
A Ricmotech for G27 Brake Pedal. I don't really drive heel and toe cars so all the braking force is normally from my left foot (left foot braking always) so its pretty much all longitudinal. Yes it may **** by fractions of a mm side to side but it's minor.

I ahould add that occasionally (when the seat is folded up) the velcro strap will shimmy down from the weight of the pedals to eventually let go and the pedals come crashing down. Which is my main concern.

I guess I'll try some cable ties and a board underneath the base.

Upvote 0
I own a Playseat Challenge since two weeks now and it's fine with my G27.

I want to buy an t300, but someone told me to buy csl elite pedals and later on fanatec wheel base.

Can I run the configuration with Playseat Challenge?

Upvote 0
@nockel You should be fine - not sure if the wheel base can be bolted to that small 'table' on the seat, but I reckon you can use the standard clamp that comes with the wheel to attach it to the seat. Can't see any issues with the pedals at all.

What would concern me is the much stronger FFB in T300 compared to G27, but I suppose it'll survive ;)

Upvote 0
I have a T300 with a Playseat Challenge, it works great: there are corresponding holes, the bolts are included (with the seat I think), so it is really easy to fix the wheel base. Sometimes all the seat is vibrating with the ffb (F-Vintage in AMS…:rolleyes:), but that's not often and I find it more immersive! :D I got both at the end of Juy 2016, both are still going strong: so far the seat did not fell apart with the vibrations! :laugh: It is aging pretty well I would say, I'm really happy to have bought it.

The Fanatec wheel is stronger, larger and heavier: it could work, I might have seen pictures of a Clubsport base on a Playseat Challenge but I'm not 100% sure…

As I wrote above, pedals with a load cell should be fixed in a stronger manner imho… There is just a strap with a velcro on the seat, I don't think it will be strong enough to hold the pedals.

Upvote 0
Just my opinion about the Playseat Challenge, I didnt read through all the posts:)
I've had it for about 3 months now and I must say it's really comfortable, my G920 wheel sits firmly at the plate without issues.
The only downside I at all can think of, it's low, really low. Sitting down is bit of a squatting(?) and getting up can be a bit of an adventure sometimes, I am a bit stiff in my bones :)

Upvote 0
About storing the playseat. Do you guys think it would fit under a bed or something? What is the top height when the set is collapsed? I have a G27 and wheelstand right now but I really dont like it. The only good thing is that the wheelstand will fit under our bed when its not in use. I really dont have a good place to store it anyways and my girlfriend doesnt understand my hobby. And yes I dont want to change her, yet.. ;)

Upvote 0
About storing the playseat. Do you guys think it would fit under a bed or something?
I'll measure once back home but if you can fit the wheel rim under the bed then you should be able to hide the entire seat too. We're probably talking about 30cm clearance needed.

There's one thing you should have in mind - black 'alcantara' style material used on the seat likes the dust and makes it VERY visible. You'll have to keep the space under your bed in pristine condition :)

Upvote 0
Anyone who owns this has a measurement of how long the back of the chair is to the back of the steering wheel? I think the dimensions included in the specs extends up to the pedals. I have a table in front of me and limited space on my back so I may have trouble in fitting the top of the setup. No problems for the pedals as I can just slip it under the table.

Upvote 0
Anyone who owns this has a measurement of how long the back of the chair is to the back of the steering wheel?
This will depend on the armrest straps' setting. You can adjust the angle of the back (and front respectively) and unfortunately it'll be difficult to come up with a specific value for this measurement.

Upvote 0
@megaloneon I've just measured it and it's about 105cm (41in) from the back of the seat to the back of the shelf where the wheel is attached. I'm quite tall and I have armrest straps velcroed just behind fifth (last) mark.

@aMiqqo With T300 (with 28cm rim) I've managed to fold it so it takes about 32cm (13in). So you'll need space of 32x55x125cm (13x22x49in) under your bed. Roughly.

Upvote 0
@megaloneon I've just measured it and it's about 105cm (41in) from the back of the seat to the back of the shelf where the wheel is attached. I'm quite tall and I have armrest straps velcroed just behind fifth (last) mark.

@aMiqqo With T300 (with 28cm rim) I've managed to fold it so it takes about 32cm (13in). So you'll need space of 32x55x125cm (13x22x49in) under your bed. Roughly.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
I have owned a Playseat Challenge for 13 months now, I find it ideal as i have to fold it away after use. I use a T300 which bolts to the wheel plate, I have also clamped the pedals to the frame (quite easy to do) using a steel plate attached to the pedals using threaded holes in the pedal base.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years