Tracks Planning a Goodwood Hillclimb Track Mod

VRTSmith

Vermin Racing Team
So I've seen many, many threads on various sites saying how no-one has ever published or finished a Goodwood Hillclimb mod and this is starting to bug me. So I've decided to begin planning for the mod myself (If you want something done, do it yourself right?)

Now I'm no expert at 3D modelling so I won't be alone on this one. I have a friend who is quite talented at it so I'll be helping him make the mod as higher quality as possible.

As this is being written the mod has only just begun plannning and COULD be postponed or even suspended at any point during this time, but once it's underway I'll make sure to finish it.

I hope to hear from you all on your ideas about this!

Thanks, Jack.

• Deleted member 223075

You talking about the race we can see at Goodwood Festival of Speed ?

Quite interesting if someone do it.

You talking about the race we can see at Goodwood Festival of Speed ?

Quite interesting if someone do it.
If by race you mean the hillclimb event then yes :)

Below is a link to a YouTube video showing the full length of the track if you haven't seen it already.

Fantastic news :) I have a little bit of track modding knowlege, maybe I'll be able to help too, I hope. I am modeling with Blender software.

This hillclimb track is not huge, but there sure are tons of details, not going to be easy to finish it completely.

I will be looking forward, as I'm a big fan of Goodwood.

Fantastic news :) I have a little bit of track modding knowlege, maybe I'll be able to help too, I hope. I am modeling with Blender software.

This hillclimb track is not huge, but there sure are tons of details, not going to be easy to finish it completely.

I will be looking forward, as I'm a big fan of Goodwood.

You are very welcome to help. The more the more the merrier! My friend currently doesn't have his PC due to a hard drive failure so help will be much appreciated :)

Use http://environment.data.gov.uk/ds/survey/index.jsp#/survey to check for aerial lidar. There are some tricks to getting the UK data into a useable format, but I've not researched the steps.

Yes, LIDAR data is available for that area.
2017-07-07_FOS.jpg

WW

I'm all for the hillclimb but the circuit is where the awesome is. :)

I've just had an idea.

It may take a lot longer but maybe I can try to create a map that includes BOTH the Hillclimb and the circuit? You could either have the circuit, hillclimb or both (Open World).

I've already begun the layout of the hillclimb so adding to it will be easy.

I've just had an idea.

It may take a lot longer but maybe I can try to create a map that includes BOTH the Hillclimb and the circuit? You could either have the circuit, hillclimb or both (Open World).

It is sure interesting idea, but I think it is not really necessary, and adds amount of work and trouble which is just not worth it, IMO

Maybe just focus on what might be easier at first, which could be FOS hillclimb, though I guess it could be much harder to get 100% done than circuit, but probably would be easier to do first 90%, as it is smaller. but a lot of details, and very close to the road.

Yes, for the circuit too (most of the country in fact). But I think someone has already made the circuit.

Yes there is a conversion from rFactor, which was a conversion from GPL (AFAIK). I doubt that it is made with that particular data, could I be wrong ? I have compared it with Google earth aerial photo, and that track model seems to be a bit too much off (not to mention outdated). @LilSki has been posting that google earth images can be very inacurrate too, but I wonder how much.

The red line is layout of the mod:
WWVMspR.jpg

I agree with Mantas on both counts - that it's probably best to focus on the hillclimb for now, until you become more fluent in AC trackmaking, and also that the existing Goodwood Circuit is lacking.

But as a historic car nut, a proper GW Circuit is high on my wish list for sure. :)

• Deleted member 223075

The actual Goodwood circuit we have is really good, i use it to test many F1 cars. Just need little texture improvement.

The actual Goodwood circuit we have is really good, i use it to test many F1 cars. Just need little texture improvement.
Sorry but that is the funniest comment I've read in a while.

As for what Mantas said it is best not to use Google Earth to build anything. If there is lidar available it would be best to learn to use that first. Google Earth is only good for object placement and nothing more. There are times It can be close but if there is lidar for that area there is no point in risking it in my opinion.

I also agree with starting on the hill climb since it is a small track and would be great for a first time project.

• Deleted member 223075

Sorry but that is the funniest comment I've read in a while.

As for what Mantas said it is best not to use Google Earth to build anything. If there is lidar available it would be best to learn to use that first. Google Earth is only good for object placement and nothing more. There are times It can be close but if there is lidar for that area there is no point in risking it in my opinion.

I also agree with starting on the hill climb since it is a small track and would be great for a first time project.

It is your opinion. I like to drive on this circuit and i think some people too. You don't like it but me yes. Also this is the only one Goodwood track we have.

If you can do better, just do it.

• Deleted member 130869

It is your opinion. I like to drive on this circuit and i think some people too. You don't like it but me yes. Also this is the only one Goodwood track we have.

Scarcity doesn't equate to quality, and the only available track was made back when quality and accuracy were not widespread standards. Also...
He has done much better :p
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/authors/lilski.218202/

The existing one is "good" in the sense that it is a fun layout and it's easy to enjoy your laps there. It's not good in any other sense... graphically, quality of road mesh, accuracy, etc. In any case... for now, the hillclimb. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back