Pirelli Demonstrate 18" Wheels at Monza

I'm sure the teams will configure the suspension system to reduce negative impacts of the new wheel.Great to see John Alesi on track again.

roller_bearing_buggy_tire_3.jpg

Because tire will not be able to deform as much, it will be stiffer, it will also suffer more from load sensitivity. Car may also become too responsive, which could possibly make them more punishing for driver precision errors. I don't know but probably slip angles might also decrease, which probably already are super low in F1, and if cars wheelbases will get shorter, slip angles will be even faster to rise and cars will be more twitchy. IDK on one hand it sounds like these tires should produce more show, but they also may result in drivers driving even more on the rails, though probably balancing on the edge more dangerously.

Michelin said they would only return to F1 if the wheels were 18", so this is at least one step close to that hope.

(Though they won't have that chance until 2024 when Pirelli's new contract expires)

Explain more, please?
@mantasisg summed up everything pretty well.

I must add that yes, the slip angles will be lower at a given load as a result of the stiffer carcass. Lower slip angles mean less feedback. At the same time the slimmer tyres work at higher pressure than thicker ones to compensate the deformation under the vertical load, but this will cause less vertical dampening through the suspension elements. On the mechanical side, the suspension will have to be completely redesigned to suit the new dynamic response of both vertical and lateral. In addition, the weight of the wheel assembly will rise too due to the larger wheel rim, resulting in a higher moment of inertia, more drag in open air and mostly a heating problem. In fact, switching to 18" means that the low profile tyre is much further away from the brakes and the heat generated will dissipate into the open air more easily.

@mantasisg summed up everything pretty well.
In fact, switching to 18" means that the low profile tyre is much further away from the brakes and the heat generated will dissipate into the open air more easily.
And they are banning tire warmer blankets at the same time. I'm ok with that change on its own, but now I'm worried about the two changes in combination

Because tire will not be able to deform as much, it will be stiffer, it will also suffer more from load sensitivity. Car may also become too responsive, which could possibly make them more punishing for driver precision errors. I don't know but probably slip angles might also decrease, which probably already are super low in F1, and if cars wheelbases will get shorter, slip angles will be even faster to rise and cars will be more twitchy. IDK on one hand it sounds like these tires should produce more show, but they also may result in drivers driving even more on the rails, though probably balancing on the edge more dangerously.
On the other hand, the cars will be designed for these bigger wheels. And you can have a better working suspension setup. Instead of the fixed damping values from that balloon tire, that is more or less the same for every car. As in everybody tries to run a low as they can without the tire going off the rim.
So now you have more control over the handling of the car. As the dampers have more impact on the setup.
Next to that it looks way cooler.

I don't give two #%@#$ about the size and shape, can they make them so that the driver can push to the limit for at least 2/3rds of the race? I'm sick of this endurance thing going on in F1. Save your tires...conserve fuel...make sure you don't wake up the babies on grandstands. Jesus Christ even GT Endurance races are more exciting to watch nowadays.

Adding to Giovaneveterano explanations, higher diameter tyre suffers through smaller centrifugal forces at top speeds. Coupled with more rigid low profile design it should naturally make tyres more durable and safe.
And since now F1 tyres are overpressured on safety grounds, this should allow for relatively lower, pressures, making them "better fit" for the job.

I never was into low profiles thou, especially for racing ... will get used to it i guess.

I don't give two #%@#$ about the size and shape, can they make them so that the driver can push to the limit for at least 2/3rds of the race? I'm sick of this endurance thing going on in F1. Save your tires...conserve fuel...make sure you don't wake up the babies on grandstands. Jesus Christ even GT Endurance races are more exciting to watch nowadays.
Nowadays? They always been. But they are also constantly busy with saving tires, saving fuel, loading batteries.

Wheels may be a good move, but.... for me like a few others, without the engine note of the V- whatever n.a. engines which are synonymous with Formula One, make any other changes un interesting. Call me old hat...... but the narrow track and grooved tires was what some thought is the way of the future. You all see how that turned around.
Yo Ross B, return the banshee scream of the V- series, these newer changes don't excite me in the least, I might pay for service to watch a live race if we return to them.
It's been a drag since 2014 for lots of fans.

Nowadays? They always been. But they are also constantly busy with saving tires, saving fuel, loading batteries.
Really? Like...REALLY? How old are you? When did you start watching F1? Well i'm old enough to remember when the teams were allowed to use as many tire sets as they wanted,as much fuel as they wanted,even as many engines as they wanted. They were even allowed to set their own tire pressures.Imagine that! The only thing that mattered back then was performance, not endurance. Going as fast as possible without any compromise. Things started to change around 2005 with all the tire mess. That was when F1 ended as a pure sprint race. That was F1 pretty much stopped being pure F1. Damn i'm getting old...

Back then they had an engine that would do a qualify run and then straight to the trash bin :roflmao: imagine tires and fuel. They'd probably do the same with the driver if that meant they could make the car go faster LOL

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 336 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 228 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 290 13.4%