PING 5000

F

Fursty

• Fursty

I am trying to host a game and my ping shows up to others as 5000. What am I doing wrong?

• Fursty

Ok, so i opened all of those ports, but still getting ping of 5000.. I bypassed the router and now going direct to the modem. Any other ideas?

The dreaded 5000 ping ! I have given myself sleepless nights over this ! Eventually I did get it to work - as well as having portforwarding of the ports in Piotr's post I still had the 5000 pings... I spoke to people about this and one said his solution was to unplug his router and plug the pc directly into the cable modem - so I don't understand why Fursty couldn't get it to work with those ports open AND his router bypassed (Unless the Windoze Firewall requires the PC to be restarted before it applies the changes?). The problem with doing it like that is that you can't use other PC's that would usually be connected through the router you bypassed....

The only way I could get it to work, successfully (managed to host Bahrain F1 2007 Mod, and had a few joiners ) was :

On the computer that will host the game (dedicated or host) - Go to your firewall software and open the ports as listed, make sure TCP/UDP is right.
On the router - I initially enabled port forwarding of the same ports - 5000 ping... - I then found the routers NAT (Network Address Translation) Filtering and switched it from secure to open - Hey presto it worked no more 5000 ping.

Since I am not 100% sure of what I am doing I was sure to return settings back to where they were before I started after I finished hosting (disabled open ports on hosting PC in firewall software (not deleted just told software to ignore the rules so I can reinstate easily) and also switched NAT Filtering back on on the router. If any computer genius types can take a litte time to explain the risks in disabling NAT Filtering (in Laymans Terms Please!) I would be very pleased to hear. Also if anyone else tries this or finds another successful way, please also post.

Thanking you in anticipation, Dave.

The useful links post hasnt been updated in a while. Best tip is to search on google and 9/10 you get to this forum with the correct post :)

Necro time. I am trying to host some races in Race 07 but am being prevented from doing so by the infamous 5000 ping issue. It shows as 5000 for me and for everyone else, and no-one can join. I have successfully hosted before when using WinXP with no issues at all and without messing with my PC or router, but nothing I do seems to get it working under Win7. I'd appreciate some help as I'm at my wits end with this.

Please read through what I have tried before giving the generic "open the ports" answer. :)

I am running Win7 and my router is a NetGear DG834PN which has been used to host in the past under XP. Here is what I have tried:

- Changing nothing... default PC/firewall/router settings.
- Giving my PC a static IP.
- Allowing the ports and exes required by Steam/Race 07/dedi server in Win7's firewall.
- Disabling Win7's firewall.
- Opening the ports required by Steam/Race 07/dedi server on my router.
- Putting my PC in my router's DMZ.
- Ensuring PnP is enabled on my router.
- Restarting my router/PC after every setting change.
- Endless Google searching.
- Pulling out tufts of hair.

Every other game I try online on both PC and console works perfectly fine with no messing about required. Race 07 is the one and only game I am having problems with. Any further suggestions as to what to try would be appreciated.

try these guys for your router/modem http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
i found out my router was to old and had to get a new one ... i now have linksys wag160n and it never lets me down

i also have to use a kpn(dutch) router /modem to get my phone working and found i had to have UPnP enebled on my router but not extended sercurity..
you downloaded the latest version of d/server through steam tools...(if it is steam raceon)
use this to check which ports are open http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

with my linksys i enable the dmz but havent opened any ports, that was it and it worked.....
my ip changes every so often and i have to update my router...(so its not static)

Thanks for the response but:

- I have been to endless websites with info and guides on port forwarding. Portforward.com was the first, and it was of no help as I have already done everything it says to do.

- My router works fine for every other online game I own and every internet-capable system that connects to it. There's no way I'm buying a new one to try and get one game working, particularly since it is unlikely to fix the problem. As I said above, this router has already been used to host Race 07 servers in the past.

- I have the latest versions of Steam, Race 07, and the dedicated server program.

- As stated above, I have a static IP, PnP mode is enabled, and I have already tried DMZ mode.

I've even just tried a program which automates the port forwarding procedure. All it did is exactly what I have been doing manually, and unsurprisingly it did not work.

Ross,

I assume you have PC -> Router for broadband Inet -> Cable / Phone line, and not some router inbetween.
At this moment, are you using the same PC, or is it a seperate machine where you want to host the game?
When you do the forward in the router, do you set it to a specific IP address for each port or port range?
Is the IP address within range of the rest of your internal network?
Are you sure you do not have double IP addresses now you have set it to static?
Which ports did you open, and did you check on the port type (UDP, TCP or Both)
If you do NOT make it an internet, but lan server, can you see it then with normal ping?
When setting the static IP address, what did you use as a gateway?

Just some questions that come to mind...

I would at least start with all firewalls off. Also, the one in the router. Just put it all off, do a test to see if the 5000 is gone, and set them back on again. Just to eliminate the options.

Thanks for the response Marco.

Yes, my setup is PC => Router (wired) => Phone line.

I have been trying to host on the same PC on which I will play the game. However, I am in the process of transferring my Steam files to my laptop to see if I can host a dedi on there instead.

I have tried setting my PC's IP as the address to forward to, and also selecting 'any'. Neither worked.

Yes, the IP address is fine. Definitely no doubles. All devices in my household have their own static IPs.

I opened all ports mentioned in the official Race 07 FAQ and the Steam Knowledgebase. TCP/UDP is correct, though I have also tried 'both' for all ports.

I haven't tried deselecting 'internet' in the dedi server prog, though I could see the game within Race 07 using the LAN MP option.

The gateway is my routers IP address. (192.168.0.1)

I cannot try with all firewalls off because it is not an option that my router allows. The closest I can get is disabling Win7's firewall and putting my PC in my router's DMZ mode, which I have already tried.

Same thing on my laptop... ping of 5000 with or without ports forwarded and firewall disabled, my PC cannot connect to the server.

I tried unchecking the 'internet' option for the dedi server on my laptop. It shows up fine in the game using the LAN option and I can connect to it.

What if any anti-virus software are you running? Have you made sure that you allowed anything in regards to steam and race07 through your anti-virus? Have you tried to run the host without anti-virus running?

What if any anti-virus software are you running? Have you made sure that you allowed anything in regards to steam and race07 through your anti-virus? Have you tried to run the host without anti-virus running?
Normally, the AV software blocks both in and outside traffic if it blocks. So, if that was the case I think the LAN option would not have worked as well.

To me, it seems as it's a ROUTER issue. Not anything else, since LAN functions are correct. If it was a win7 firewall issue, that would not work as well. So, I assume your settings for the win firewall are correct as the LAN option works.

I read in your manual (download here), on page 4-7, that you can activate a log function. Please activate the log function, and start it all again. Try to connect, and if it fails (which it will probably do), open the log file to see if you can find any errors related to this. That makes solving the issue a bit more easy :)

Also, I noticed the following line:
Local computers must access the local server using the computer’s local LAN address
(192.168.0.11 in the example in Figure 4-6 above). Attempts by local computers to access the
server using the external WAN IP address will fail.

That COULD mean that you can not test it yourself, although thats hard to imagine for me. With a webserver, I can. but with a game server I do not think so. That should work. But, to be sure, ask someone else (from outside your home network) to test is as well.

I have run into issues in the past where the AV blocked internet traffic, but allowed local traffic due to the AV setting up a "private" home network setting as well as a public setting for the internet. It can still be an issue for him.

The idea about turning on logging functions is a good idea though to see if there is anything that is indicated there. Windows also creates logs that you can view in the event viewer to see if anything is being blocked and by what.

I had Some problems getting the ports working.. So i changed them slightly to this

Race07portsForwarding.jpg

I have got a BT Homehub v2.0, but i still had a few issues to get them to work..
Once i had these i also had to assign them to my PC as i have a further 3 on the router.. and now all is working with no issues..other than the fact is i can only handle 12 slots. but think that is down to the bandwidth i am getting from BT

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 110 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%