Pimax 8K X and Simracing Performance

Are there any (previous) Pimax 8K X users out there who can share there experience with various Sim racing games ?

Almost most a week ago i decided to give the 8K X a try and ordered one on Amazon as a replacement for my Valve Index.

But something went wrong with the payment at Amazon and even though i did pay, my Amazon account order history says i did not :mad:

After 5 days and numerous calsl i managed to get the ordered cancelled and i'm currently still waiting to get my money back. These are serious amounts of cash and the whole deal got me wondering whether it was "meant to be" and if i should stick with the Index.

I have the RTX3090 graphics card to power it, but i can't help thinking by the time there 's more powerful graphics card that will take full advantage of the 8KX, the HMD itself will be out dated. Most reviews online cover the generic VR games or the flight sims. Playing MS2020 at 40 fps is a totally different experience than playing a race sim with that frame rate.

There's some comparisons on Youtube.

I'd agree with most of what he's saying on the reverb, he's maybe a bit harsh due to not accepting the FOV.
8K seems overkill at the moment, I think you'd have to make too many sacrifices to get it running, even with a 3090. They do a 5K.
Overall the quality of the Pimax seems low, I haven't used one but every review I've seen says build quality isn't great and it's not fully optimised.

@Turk, Yes i have seen Niels video.

I tried the HP Reverb G2 myself for a week and went back to the Valve Index. Comfort, overall clarity and FOV were much better on the Index for me. Since Niels is only using AMS1, i curious about other 8KX users in other sim racing games.

I had an 8KX for several months but never used it as I couldn't source a graphics card. I got bored and sold it for what I paid for it and then almost immediately sourced a graphics card. I thought it was meant to be too ;)

Now running an HP G2 and I really like it - but the FOV is rubbish and makes me wish I hadn't sold the 8KX, especially after Neils video.

Honestly, VR headset development is glacial. It feels like all talk / hype and the product evolution just theoretical. I've often wondered why there is so much feet dragging, and think its just horse-before-the-cart. More people would be interested if it was better and cheaper (which requires competition and economies of scale) , yet the development by manufacturers is still too expensive and they cant guarantee a return as the market is small due to the former. End result - it's niche.

I reckon you would get some good use out of it before there is anything actually physically available on the market to challenge it. Realistically those next gen GPU's are going to be equally hard - if not harder to source too. A bird in hand and all that.

If you can afford it and face a bit of depreciation, buy it. All these things are a punt at a bit of joy in the BS times. YOLO

I'm sure you can manage 75fps on a 3090 with some quality setting reductions?

Last edited:
Sorry for being late. I am rarely on this thread. Had Vive, 8k, G2 and now 8kx @90hz/large FOV with 3090FE on 9700k @5Ghz.

iRacing is a blast, ACC requires some optimization and there's a dedicated engine.ini custom file from Pimax forum I can share and it's a decent experience, still better than G2 binocular view.

AC on SOL 2.0 with no issues.

AMS2 and RRE are very good, rF2 less so, but I don't use these softwares on a regular basis.

If you are on Gseat you might get EMF with some blackouts. I only have D-BOX and I make sure the cable runs as far as possible from the actuators.

Doing endurance without supporting 2d monitor and I wear it for hours as long as you have a minimum sort of air flow.

I believe IPD optimal range is 62-69.

Using over the ear for audio when speakers are off.

Happy to share more if you are going down the path.

Last edited:
Sorry for being late. I am rarely on this thread. Had Vive, 8k, G2 and now 8kx @90hz/large FOV with 3090FE on 9700k @5Ghz.

iRacing is a blast, ACC requires some optimization and there's a dedicated engine.ini custom file from Pimax forum I can share and it's a decent experience, still better than G2 binocular view.

AC on SOL 2.0 with no issues.

AMS2 and RRE are very good, rF2 less so, but I don't use these softwares on a regular basis.

If you are on Gseat you might get EMF with some blackouts. I only have D-BOX and I make sure the cable runs as far as possible from the actuators.

Doing endurance without supporting 2d monitor and I wear it for hours as long as you have a minimum sort of air flow.

I believe IPD optimal range is 62-69.

Using over the ear for audio when speakers are off.

Happy to share more if you are going down the path.
Hey - I might be a little late - but I am desperately looking to figure out how to get AC (and ACC i guess) running on my 8Kx and my highly modded 3090/direct die cooled i9-10900k. Could you possibly link me to those files and a guide? I am all good with editing ini, xml and json files, im just having trouble finding Pimax 8Kx related info that works. Id love to be able to run it WITHOUT parallel projection as well!
THANKS!

Hey - I might be a little late - but I am desperately looking to figure out how to get AC (and ACC i guess) running on my 8Kx and my highly modded 3090/direct die cooled i9-10900k. Could you possibly link me to those files and a guide? I am all good with editing ini, xml and json files, im just having trouble finding Pimax 8Kx related info that works. Id love to be able to run it WITHOUT parallel projection as well!
THANKS!

Late to the VR party I finally joined with 8KX, bit less CPU/GPU with water cooled i7-7700K at 4.9GHz and 3080TI (water cooled as well)

Must say I'm bit confused about all these scalers, assume it goes Game -> steamVR -> piTool?
Using less than 1.0 in piTool seems to make the near bit more blurry but at distance not notice so much. But after using 27" triples 1440p at 100fps for 4-5 years it's still a visual downgrade but the total visual and speed experience is not even close when on triples. First I tried Quest 2 (borrow from my son) and it was ok, but 150-170FOV really helps to improve the total experience. On other hand the wireless and light Quest 2 works much better for other type of VR games.

Aimed at 90fps but my CPU limited rF2 at 150FOV so changed back to 75Hz for now, planned to upgrade CPU when DDR5 memory is available. To change between 75/90 the headset needs to reboot, so far I don't bother with that.

So far after testing (all this tinkering reminds me of my previous 1080TI SLI setup) to get 75fps with 19AI.

piTool always on 1.0. The function to render bit less resolution outside focus areas always off, so far I got more GPU load and/or artifacts with any setting tested. Preferred high usage of AA, Advanced Super Sampling Filter in steamVR off. Using the pimax experience test different settings, works rather well.

AC (standard)
170FOV, 95% steamVR
High/Max settings, shadow/reflection mid
90fps possible with reduced steamVR
AA x4 (max)

AMS2
150FOV, tried 170FOV but GPU heavy, steamVR 70%
Mid/High settings, , shadow/reflection mid
reduced setting 90fps possible
AA max

rF2
150FOV, tried 170FOV but had artifacts in the corners, steamVR 82%
Mid/High settings, shadow/reflection low
90fps should be possible, but to limited by the CPU
AA x8

AMS
150FOV tested, crash when entering track (VR) but not tested so much

ETC2
Did not get it to work at all, but not tested so much

RRR3
150FOV, 170FOV do not work at all.
CPU limited, max 60-65fps
Have not tried smaller FOV than 150.

rikirk, what setting are you using on RRR3?

Anyone using 8KX, please share your tested settings and experiences :)

I run an 8K-X on a factory OC 3080Ti. It's incredible in games that run well enough so you can push at least 100% Steam SS. AC, even with SOL, CSP, etc, can do it in Wide FOV and still maintain 60fps, and it's freaking stunning. If you only race daylight you can push the Steam SS or PiTool quality up to at least 125% (1.25 PiTool setting) and still get that 60fps (you really don't need more in a seated SIM; it's liquid smooth at 60fps with the HMD in 60hz mode). AC, even modded to the max is almost certainly going to be your best option in terms of achieving the potential of your 8K-X. Run AC with the PiTool FFR setting at Conservative ONLY. That will get you about 10-15% performance improvement, but the other FFR settings will actually decrease performance in AC. No idea why, but that's the way it works.

Last edited:
Also noticed that in most sims FFR decrease performance, but in AC there is actually little need for it.

I can now add iRacing to the list and performance really excels with the supported NVIDIA features, good visuals (best of them all) with piTool at 1.25 and SS 100% and still maintain 75fps (equals around 160% at piTool 1.0). Compare to AMS2 using piTool 1.0 and SS around 70%, assume the lack of support for the canted displays drags down performance.

rF2/AC works good around 110% (but I run less and piTool 1.25) but something have change (in-game or mine) since night/rain in rF2 performance is currently bad so trying to tweak that setting.

Got ETS2/ATS working but needed to change FPS to 60 to get decent performance, but even on triples it could be an problem.

Anyone using 8KX, please share your tested settings and experiences
Yeah come on guys.
Because eventhough Im only using a small (20") 2D screen to race on - then Im following any sober description of how the Pimax 8KX actually works.
Sitting on the sidefence waiting for both economical and also supply changes.
Changes to the better ofcourse :rolleyes:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 402 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 274 11.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 259 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 190 7.7%
  • < 5 years