Piecing together my build

Hey guys, I'm new to sim racing. After trying out a motion rig in store during my off season, I'm sold on it being so much fun and a really good tool. So that being said, any input you experienced simmers have would be extremely appreciated in helping me piece together my setup. I'm leaning towards something of this sort after reading thru the threads -

- Sim lab P1X rig - which wheel mount would you recommend? And why?
- What wheelbase?
- Formula style wheel rim?
- Recommend a comfortable bucket racing seat?
- Sim lab bucket seat bracket set
- Will Heusinkveld sprint pedals and sequential shifter plug and play to ps4 or is it strictly for PC?
- Should I add a buttkicker? Do I need a PC to do so?

Ultimately I will probably go PC, but I'm playing on ps4 right now. Anyways, if there is something I missed or you guys think I should add or go with, please do share your thoughts. And will any of this stuff be of use if I do move to a PC? If not, what are your thoughts and ideas on a one and done setup?

The wheel mount for the P1X depends on what wheel base you go with. Different mounts include:
  • front mount, for most direct drive and CSW wheels
  • Wheel deck, for consumer grade and Accuforce wheels
  • Fanatec DD mount, specifically for the podium series

Regarding the base you have a few options depending on your budget. Based on your comment about the Heusinkveld pedals I assume fairly high end, so I would recommend a DD (direct drive) wheel.

From there you have a multitude of options. Common ones are:

Simxperience Accuforce V2 for around ~1000USD
The recently released Simucube 2 (latest and greatest imo) ranging from ~1000-2800USD depending on which motor you pick.
various OSWs or Open Source Wheels which would be your cheapest option in terms of "power per dollar" ranging from ~500USD-2000USD
The Fanatec Podium DD1 and 2 ranging from ~1000-1500USD

Allow me to break all these options down! All of them are great options and will be leagues better than your standard Thrustmaster or Logitech. When you get to this price range the law of diminishing returns and hair splitting start to come into play.

Starting with the Accuforce, this is an "all in one" option with the base, rim and button box all included. The software suite is also pretty renowned for its ease of use and profiles for various games that do not have the best native FFB such as the Dirt series. Keep in mind the main real world differing factors between wheels are going to be the software and its ease of use and capabilities. Anyways, the Accuforce is not as powerful in terms of raw torque as the other options. There is also a widespread complaint of "graininess" compared to other wheels. This is debatably mitigated when you're actually driving by the force feedback as well as smoothing via the software profiles.

The Simucube 2 is a recent release by Granite Devices, who are very well known for their first iteration of the Simucube and was/is regarded by some as the best OSW. The new model includes a more compact and integrated solution, doing away with a separate control box as required by most OSWs. Unfortunately this means that it is no longer considered an OSW as components are not replaceable or open source. This may or may not be of concern to you if you wish to have the opportunity to upgrade it in the future. On paper the Simucube 2 is the top dog in terms of specs. Also included is a new Bluetooth module enabling wireless rims similar to Fanatec, doing away with the standard coiled usb cable. Keep in mind these new rims are not required and also carry a hefty price tag. Software is developed in house.

Various OSWs such as the Mige, Augury, Lenzen, Simucube v1 are purchased as DIY kits or prebuilt, and in terms of price are the cheapest option. You can make it as powerful as you want and are only limited by your wallet. Software is developed by the community and may or may not be as consistent as say something by logitech. Compatibility with games are pretty solid but profiles for games are again, community developed and can be hit or miss but have certainly matured and you wont run into much trouble.

The Fanatec Podium series is the new offering from Fanatec, and is largely untested and unknown as they are a new player in the DD market. An attractive option if you are already invested in the Fanatec ecosystem regarding rims and such.

What rim you choose is largely personal preference, I prefer a GT style round or D shaped rim but tbf modern GT cars have switched to a formula style. The bigger the rim, the smoother your movements. Formula style rims were intended to save weight and space. In a sim rig this is less important, however if you prefer realism go for it. Formula rims also have more buttons, however you might have more difficulty in rally cars for example if you have to go hand over hand in turns.

Seats are tough. I would always recommend you go and sit in one yourself to try it out and see if its comfortable for you or not. If not make sure to measure yourself and pick accordingly. Depending on if youre going to be racing for long stints or using your rig for general computing I would recommend looking into reclinable seats, as well as seats with lower bolsters so getting in and out is easier. Common brands are Sparco, OMP, MOMO, Recaro, and Corbeau. I would strongly suggest not getting a "sim rig" branded seat as actual car seats have much more R&D and are made for comfort. I personally recommend Corbeau as a more economical option than others while still being high quality. Keep in mind Non FIA certified, steel construction, or expired seats are all valid options.

Heusinkveld equipment is all PC only without adapters as far as I'm aware.

Adding a Buttkicker is an excellent option. However keep in mind that there are other brands of transducers out there! Either way you will need an amplifier. Yes you will need a PC and a piece of software to interpret the signals from the game. for a more detailed explanation, check out this thread by @Mr Latte. He's pretty well known for his tactile knowledge around here.

All of this information is not comprehensive and I'm probably wrong on points. feel free to set me straight! My setup which is stiil in progress includes

• Simucube 2 Pro
  • SRC button box and undetermined rim
  • Heusinkveld Sprints
  • Simlabs GT1
  • Corbeau FX1 Pro

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%