Picked up this game again

Installed 10 year patch and 2005 season. Dlded shovas ffb from his page and boy am I having fun doing the NGT in 2003 with the 360!
This game is so much fun. Now I need to get it running in VR.

But loving it already! Amazing offline experience and some seriously good looking quick cars!

Slight issues I am having:
the driving school disappeared for me. Anyone know how to fix it?

Also, I would like to feel self aligning torque more. What parameter in the ffb file sould I increase?

And the car on straights seems to be bouncing slightly up and down. Really annoying. Got world movement at 100% and the others at zero so no idea how to correct this. This is my biggest complain.

The AI seems to like to ram me to the point where I can't race them without fearing for my ride. Gt cars are the worse. Iget a blue flag and they just ram me off the track. Like it takes the AI 2 secs to understand what I am doing... are there any parameters where we can lower aggression? I have it on real but it is still too much imho.

Last edited:
Welcome back! GTR2 is great and its relatives, GTL, Race07, etc. are very similar and so share a lot of mods and similar ways of doing things. Even my FFB tends to work for GTL and Race 07.

Not sure about the school, sorry.

For more self-aligning torque, try reducing "FFB steer force grip weight" in your UserData PLR. A few percent decrease should do it.

I've been tweaking lately, here's the important params from my PLR:

FFB steer force exponent="0.75149"
FFB steer force output max="0.95000"
FFB steer force grip weight="0.17362"
FFB steer force grip factor="1.00000"

I'm using this for original cars, HQ cars, and all mod cars, and so far it's very workable. I might not need my custom PLR files anymore for different car sets.

Installed 10 year patch and 2005 season. Dlded shovas ffb from his page and boy am I having fun doing the NGT in 2003 with the 360!
This game is so much fun. Now I need to get it running in VR.

But loving it already! Amazing offline experience and some seriously good looking quick cars!

Slight issues I am having:
the driving school disappeared for me. Anyone know how to fix it?

Also, I would like to feel self aligning torque more. What parameter in the ffb file sould I increase?

And the car on straights seems to be bouncing slightly up and down. Really annoying. Got world movement at 100% and the others at zero so no idea how to correct this. This is my biggest complain.

The AI seems to like to ram me to the point where I can't race them without fearing for my ride. Gt cars are the worse. Iget a blue flag and they just ram me off the track. Like it takes the AI 2 secs to understand what I am doing... are there any parameters where we can lower aggression? I have it on real but it is still too much imho.
1 about driving school not working, you did not follow the install process from 10th AP : you ran either GTR2.EXE or GTR2CONFIG.EXE at least once without WinXP+ADMIN RIGHTS so the game has created a dummy GTR2 folder in MyDocuments !
Follow what I have written in INSTALL.TXT : delete this GTR2 folder in MyDocuments and right click on every EXE to set WinXP compatibility + ADMIN rights and driving school will work ;)

2 which tracks are too bumpy : default, HQ or both ?

3 open settings.gdb in GameData with notepad and replace all aggressivity lines (beginner,semipro,pro) with 0.50 value and you will access to lower levels :)

1 about driving school not working, you did not follow the install process from 10th AP : you ran either GTR2.EXE or GTR2CONFIG.EXE at least once without WinXP+ADMIN RIGHTS so the game has created a dummy GTR2 folder in MyDocuments !
Follow what I have written in INSTALL.TXT : delete this GTR2 folder in MyDocuments and right click on every EXE to set WinXP compatibility + ADMIN rights and driving school will work ;)

2 which tracks are too bumpy : default, HQ or both ?

3 open settings.gdb in GameData with notepad and replace all aggressivity lines (beginner,semipro,pro) with 0.50 value and you will access to lower levels :)
1 - Yeah... i have the steam version but for mods created a second install and didn't check that one... stupid me.

2 - HQ valencia. Don't know if track is too bumpy or car is too hard or it is a world setting that is hidden in a config file somewhere... is the HQ AI included in your patch by default too?

3 - thanks for that. It was really annoying me being shoved out of track by an absebt minded Ai. To be fair, if i was driving a GT car I would probably not notice it since my brakes would be better. But driving a NGT having a Gt behind you is scary as they will just ram you because they are not "at their braking point" yet and they can't seem to understand that i am a lowly NGT so i need that room.

Welcome back! GTR2 is great and its relatives, GTL, Race07, etc. are very similar and so share a lot of mods and similar ways of doing things. Even my FFB tends to work for GTL and Race 07.

Not sure about the school, sorry.

For more self-aligning torque, try reducing "FFB steer force grip weight" in your UserData PLR. A few percent decrease should do it.

I've been tweaking lately, here's the important params from my PLR:

FFB steer force exponent="0.75149"
FFB steer force output max="0.95000"
FFB steer force grip weight="0.17362"
FFB steer force grip factor="1.00000"

I'm using this for original cars, HQ cars, and all mod cars, and so far it's very workable. I might not need my custom PLR files anymore for different car sets.
I will try those tweaks. I mean your ffb is amazing as is. It might sound weird but it makes the game feel better than a game from 2006 should ^^

I mean, it is to the point where the ffb in these cars adds to the experience instead of detracting or being unnoticeable. Well done. Cannot imagine the ammount of work you have put into it to get it to this point but my csw v2.5 feels amazing in this title. Feels less canned than I thought too which is really good. Like less canned than AC for instance.

How good are the baseline setups in your opinion?? In Valencia I had to tweak some settings like loosening up the car, adding a bit front split and removing wing, reducing tyre pressures and changing gear ratios.

What are your views on it. Come to think of it, the up and down movement I was seeing at speed might be fixable by fiddling with the damper settings. Maybe they are too fast. The car feels amazing when cornering but that up and down movement is nauseating.

One question to you in particular, in your page you basically scratched out the 2000to 2009 mod pack. What were the reasons exactly? Would love to try it as being able to run a career for 9 years with the level of immersion that GTR 2 brings would be awesome! And I could do my underdog Porsche 993 gt championship where I take the prettiest of porches to fame... or attempt to anyway.

I will try those tweaks. I mean your ffb is amazing as is. It might sound weird but it makes the game feel better than a game from 2006 should ^^

I feel the same way actually lol I actually think it's a crying shame because actually those PLR params were effectively broken ever since those games were released due to "output max=1.8" default causing massive clipping. I don't believe anybody ever actually felt the correct, intended ffb.

It also helps explain in-part why games based on the same engine lineage, like GSC/AMS/rF1/etc, were able to make huge strides in their FFB. They modified some ffb code of course but they also fixed those params.

I mean, it is to the point where the ffb in these cars adds to the experience instead of detracting or being unnoticeable. Well done. Cannot imagine the ammount of work you have put into it to get it to this point but my csw v2.5 feels amazing in this title. Feels less canned than I thought too which is really good. Like less canned than AC for instance.

Glad you like it. If you tune AC enough it can feel very natural. I think it's better than GTR2 when you do dial it in but nothing is as good as rFactor2, imho.

How good are the baseline setups in your opinion?? In Valencia I had to tweak some settings like loosening up the car, adding a bit front split and removing wing, reducing tyre pressures and changing gear ratios.

I haven't had much time to tune setups with all the other tweaks I've been doing but last I tried I believe they can be worth up to a few seconds of time depending on the track so definitely worth it.

I do have setups for Practice, Qualifying, and Race, but they're super simple like: Practice=Mediums and 50L fuel, Qual=Softs and 4Laps Fuels, Race=Mediums + Enough Fuel for Race.

What are your views on it. Come to think of it, the up and down movement I was seeing at speed might be fixable by fiddling with the damper settings. Maybe they are too fast. The car feels amazing when cornering but that up and down movement is nauseating.

I think @GTR233 might be able to help here. I sometimes get this too with HQ Cars and Tracks. In the meantime, try tweaking all those visual options like World Movement, etc. There's some more in there.

One question to you in particular, in your page you basically scratched out the 2000to 2009 mod pack. What were the reasons exactly? Would love to try it as being able to run a career for 9 years with the level of immersion that GTR 2 brings would be awesome! And I could do my underdog Porsche 993 gt championship where I take the prettiest of porches to fame... or attempt to anyway.

Well it was mostly this:

WIP Thoughts: Hit and miss cars and tracks / Hit and miss sounds / Conflicts with other mods by instructions to delete GameData\Teams\{24H,GT,NGT}; Seems like there should be a better way to do this / Feels simply like a bunch of things collected over time rather than a an actual custom modification, unfortunately.

It just felt like a bunch of things random cars thrown together instead of really curated and polished components.

Getting ready to another race tonight. Will try the DX11 converter. Oh wait, can't remmember the track. However will I know what is the second race of the 2003 calendar of GTR 2? Oh, I know I will just google the actual second race of the 2003 FIA GT season.

Oh, I am racing at Magny-Cours!

This is so, so awesome! Why did I stop playing this game for so long?

Easy to know the next track of a GTR2 Championship:
- Just go to Gamedata/Championships/Official ( when it's an official championship of course ) and open the CHAMPIONSHIPNAME.gdb ( Official_2003.gdb in this case ) with notepad.
- using the research, search for "Scene Order" ... and you'll find the order of the championship rounds.

If you prefer the surprise .... don't use this trick :D

Easy to know the next track of a GTR2 Championship:
- Just go to Gamedata/Championships/Official ( when it's an official championship of course ) and open the CHAMPIONSHIPNAME.gdb ( Official_2003.gdb in this case ) with notepad.
- using the research, search for "Scene Order" ... and you'll find the order of the championship rounds.

If you prefer the surprise .... don't use this trick :D
(My point is that I don't need to do that)

Two interestimg things:

1 - the rapid up and down movement i am seeing is the whole car moving up and down. Tried softening the fast bumpers but that did nothing. So it seems to be a bug not a setup problem. At magny it is worse.

@Shovas Tried your ffb changes and don't feel as good. Feel countersteer torque better but steering feels rubber banded now. Will revert back. Mind you I am using a csw.

That up and down motion is distracting. Any ideas how to sort it @GTR233?

1 - the rapid up and down movement i am seeing is the whole car moving up and down. Tried softening the fast bumpers but that did nothing. So it seems to be a bug not a setup problem. At magny it is worse.
Yes, I definitely noticed this at Magny before.

I think I requested GTR233 to increase something in HQ tracks a long time ago and I think it started then. I was trying to get more "force" out of road feel by editing at the track level but I think it introduced this behaviour.

you can define road bumps with height and length :
RoadBumpAmp= height, higher value means more bumpy
RoadBumpLen= horizontal length, higher value means softer/smoother road feel

very bumpy road : high height+low length
flat road : low height+high length
of course you can set many values in between

you can define road bumps with height and length :
RoadBumpAmp= height, higher value means more bumpy
RoadBumpLen= horizontal length, higher value means softer/smoother road feel

very bumpy road : high height+low length
flat road : low height+high length
of course you can set many values in between
Thanks man. Really appreciate the work you and shovas put in this game. It makes this game amazing!

did you test it : is it enough in beta1 or should I lower bumps again ?
Hey. I tested it today and it is not the bumps. It didn't make a bit of difference. Tried Car and Track HQ, car HQ and normal track, normal car and track, normal car and track HQ. Then I switched cars for the porsche 993 and behaviour was more muted (not as bouncy) but still there. If I went off track ini the section it happens, it stopped. Honestly no idea what to do to fix it.

Found a video of a guy suffering from the same problem (if it is a problem after all):

Timestamp takes you to 2:23 and you can check it out. Pretty distracting.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 106 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 147 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 279 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing