Physics right or wrong?

Disclaimer:
First of all please don't make that a fanboy discussion. I always try to be objective and leave my personal preferences out of the way. I am always willing to accept, if something I don't like on emotional basis, is better than what I like on emotional basis.

Ok I hope I covered that part and this won't get into a "You are a fanboy of this and that thread".

Prequal:
Like most people I eagerly awaited the release of Assetto Corsa. I read about all the licensed content, loved the screenshots and everything. I didn't drive the tech preview, because I didn't want to get a false impression, because it was all still WIP. The day AC was released on Steam I bought it.
I started really testing it after the first update were the FFB was fixed.

I do really like the game and wanted it to be good and so far my only issue are the physics. Most people praise them and they get a lot of love and I do confess, that in external videos they look great.
The car dives in on the braking, you see all the weight transfer and everything. No other sim offers that!

Example:
But as soon as I drive it, it feels just so wrong to me. Just one example: I tested the BMW Z4 GT3 at Monza. I know the track very well and usually drive GT cars, so a perfect combination for me.
Despite all the massive understeer you get everywhere in AC even with setup tweaks, I wanted to point out something you can judge on a much more objective level. So I will talk about the braking distance.

Every racer knows how hard the first braking zone in Monza is. You have a low downforce car and arrive at 260+ kph and have to break down to 60-80kph. So if you look at a lot of GT3 onboards on youtube even with cars, that do have ABS and are a bit restricted due to BOP. They all break before the 200meter board.
That said, I can brake at the 300meter (270kph) board and have the car at a total stand still at 150meters. If I brake for the corner I can brake at or after the 150 meter board.
So we already have a 25% shorter braking zone compared to a real life car with equal or less power and ABS, which I didn't use.

Test conditions:
So now people would start arguing, that I maybe run more downforce and stuff and that is the weirdest thing. I tried to figure out the "worst" braking performance. I used hard tyres and removed all the downforce from the car for this test.

I don't want to get to much into the details of the cornering behaviour and the understeer and that you can just pull on tons of lock and don't get any turn-in oversteer.

Is my opinion qualified?!:
A lot of simracers don't have a lot of reallife experience and I didn't race a GT3 car in my life, but just a quick background:

I drove Race07, rFactor1 and now rFactor2 and I am a pretty good driver in rF2 especially in rear wheel drive touring or GT cars. Even in the new Civic I was racing for wins after 30mins on an unkonw track, so I can quickly adapt to new cars and tracks etc.

In my free time I did some kart races with friends and even on an unkown track with for me unkonw more powerful karts than the average rental karts on a bit cold track I got within 1,9 seconds of the track record within 15min and reduced it to 1,5 seconds in a further 15min.
Keeping in mind that real professional Kart drivers practice their and I had maybe 2 or 3 hours track time in karts ever, I would say I am not a bad driver.

So when I jump out of rF2 into a kart it just feels like home. I apply nearly the same technique and everything. When I jump into AC it all feels wrong. It is so hard to get wheelspin. You can turn the wheel so much, that you would end up in a wall in real life.

I also spoke to some guys with actual racing experience and they got the same feeling.

The end:
I really wanted AC to be a very good sim and I do love everything about it, but these physics keep me from driving it.
In a sim I don't want it to be easy, I want it to be as realistic as possible, but in AC you can apply some really bad driving technique to get quicker laptimes.

I had/have a "strange" experience with AC. I got my driver's licence in June. After school ends and I drive home, I often fire up a sim immediately. Before AC was released, it was either GSC, Race 07 of rF2. Everything went normal, just like before driving in real life. However later with AC, if I just jump from the real car to my PC, I miss the feel of the car, like Lauda said in "Rush" that a racer needs a good ass to feel the car. According to all this, the driving experience in AC feels more "real" because my brain misses the G-forces that it got used to, whereas playing an other "sim" is a different gaming experience.
Oh and the car isn't a beast either, it's a Berlingo (as we call it with my dad, Citroen F12 Berlinetta :D)

I had/have a "strange" experience with AC. I got my driver's licence in June. After school ends and I drive home, I often fire up a sim immediately. Before AC was released, it was either GSC, Race 07 of rF2. Everything went normal, just like before driving in real life. However later with AC, if I just jump from the real car to my PC, I miss the feel of the car, like Lauda said in "Rush" that a racer needs a good ass to feel the car. According to all this, the driving experience in AC feels more "real" because my brain misses the G-forces that it got used to, whereas playing an other "sim" is a different gaming experience.
Oh and the car isn't a beast either, it's a Berlingo (as we call it with my dad, Citroen F12 Berlinetta :D)

I guess it must be something with your config. AC gives the best feel of the car from all sims. That is why I can't drive in iRacing anymore. I just can't feel ****. Race 07 is worse then AC in that regard but still much better then iRacing. Are you using the recommended settings for your steering wheel? Cause it changes things a lot.

@Andrew Ford ....my dear neighbor from this community,whats your problem with everyones post....disagree for the sake of it...or you have a sticky finger...and why you yell at us?

EDIT* Ok it seems Mr Andrew is on a "disagree"spree over the old posts,of mine at least,without a reason and that means "Ignore" for him...
if i ignored everyone going on a dislike spree, there wouldn't be many people left on here to interact with. no offence.

I guess it must be something with your config. AC gives the best feel of the car from all sims. That is why I can't drive in iRacing anymore. I just can't feel ****. Race 07 is worse then AC in that regard but still much better then iRacing. Are you using the recommended settings for your steering wheel? Cause it changes things a lot.

I agree some of it does come down to config, my fov and monitor setup i get great sense of speed, the in car controls allow me to set my head and view the way i want it in the car so i get even more a feel i am behind the wheel. best of any sim i have played tbh.

AC handles FF out of the box differently than most sims and if you are a heavy sim player then it can feel off because of that, if you not been playing a ton of sims and say driven a real car, especially driven a real car fast, ac feels natural via its choice of FF,

But even at that they have added options for extra forces and by the time the game is 1.0 i am sure there will be profiles and setting for all types of wheels for all types of prefrences if you want a more gt feel or iracing feel and get those type of effects there will be settings for you.

I would try your head position settings and fov settings adjust them till it looks right to you, and you should have a good sense of speed and see the corners better, firstly. that's "onboard settings" on the right hand pop out menu in car while driving.

start there if your sense of speed and control feels off in some way, then work your way to the FF settings. using the recommend profiles settings that can be found.

@Andrew Ford You think AC is arcade (misquote), good for you; nobody cares. Why does it bother you so much that people looked forward to AC before it was released (misquote)and people are having a blast hotlapping (not racing, just hotlapping for crying out loud) it now.

If you are going to prove to everybody that AC is **** and we should all convert to your favorite sim (misquote) you really should make a stronger case for yourself than saying that some mystery driver doesn't like it.
i'd like to reason with you ...but you clearly haven't read my posts...so i would be wasting time and energy. however, please don't make suggestions and put incorrect words in my mouth/or typed as if from me. agree to disagree

Not true, GT3 cars are definitely able to break after the 200m mark.
Maybe the incurable understeer you mention, comes from breaking to hard and late before a corner.
Majorly agree here. Braking before 200M in a GT3 auto is absolutely incorrect. This video shows what I mean:
around 50 seconds, the Ferrari begins braking for the first chicane, and he does so way after the 200M marker as can clearly be seen. Also, note the lack of understeer. The Porsche following the Ferrari also brakes after the 200M marker...two cars doing using the same strategy further reinforces the point.

I am noticing that a great of the complaints leveled against AC's physics originate from those who have raced in karting events. Conversely, those who own autos similar or equivalent to the game's 458 and MP4 typically offer more praise. This may just be a coincidence, but seems interesting to me.

So, the big question:
Am I qualified to offer my opinion or critique others'?

In truth, no. Frankly, no one is qualified! Were things right, the only people who could accurately rule on the reality or falseness of AC's physics performance vs. the real thing are those who actually test the cars to their limits. I would love to see some of the folks at Vallelunga who test the P 4/5 Competizione, or those who tested the two autos in my supplied video example, to drive the game and hear their opinions after racing.

More to the point, I would like to have the Kunos dev team invite fellows like Wolf Henzler, Jorg Bergmeister, Lucas Lhur, and Bill Auberlen to drive Assetto Corsa when v1.0 is released, part of a press deal to end these kind of disputes forever.

Last edited:
Can't wait until online is released and all of these people slamming the physics get exposed for being awful racers.

Of course the car is going to have an abundance of grip when you're 10 seconds off pace. It's not because the game is "arcade", it's because you're simply not driving the car hard enough.

A while back I had the track record on Imola in the GT2 BMW, and would read on the steam forums about people complaining the car had too much grip. Upon watching some of their YoutTube laps, I found that in some corners, I was two gears higher than what the "whiners" were at. Some guys were getting on the brakes for Tamburello a full three car lengths before I was, 20kmh off-pace.

People were saying the car was total garbage, and here I am trying to shave a tenth off with the car pretty much doing everything in its power to kill me; the supersoft tyres evaporating after three laps.

I don't have a lot of legal or organized racing experience, but I can tell you straight up that AC is one of the few sims I have on my PC where it makes total sense to drive.

TLDR OP the physics aren't wrong, you just suck.

Can't wait until online is released and all of these people slamming the physics get exposed for being awful racers.

Of course the car is going to have an abundance of grip when you're 10 seconds off pace. It's not because the game is "arcade", it's because you're simply not driving the car hard enough.

A while back I had the track record on Imola in the GT2 BMW, and would read on the steam forums about people complaining the car had too much grip. Upon watching some of their YoutTube laps, I found that in some corners, I was two gears higher than what the "whiners" were at. Some guys were getting on the brakes for Tamburello a full three car lengths before I was, 20kmh off-pace.

People were saying the car was total garbage, and here I am trying to shave a tenth off with the car pretty much doing everything in its power to kill me; the supersoft tyres evaporating after three laps.

I don't have a lot of legal or organized racing experience, but I can tell you straight up that AC is one of the few sims I have on my PC where it makes total sense to drive.

TLDR OP the physics aren't wrong, you just suck.

+999,999,999,999r

It's true, if you're finding it too easy, then you're not driving the car at its limit.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%