Physics right or wrong?

Disclaimer:
First of all please don't make that a fanboy discussion. I always try to be objective and leave my personal preferences out of the way. I am always willing to accept, if something I don't like on emotional basis, is better than what I like on emotional basis.

Ok I hope I covered that part and this won't get into a "You are a fanboy of this and that thread".

Prequal:
Like most people I eagerly awaited the release of Assetto Corsa. I read about all the licensed content, loved the screenshots and everything. I didn't drive the tech preview, because I didn't want to get a false impression, because it was all still WIP. The day AC was released on Steam I bought it.
I started really testing it after the first update were the FFB was fixed.

I do really like the game and wanted it to be good and so far my only issue are the physics. Most people praise them and they get a lot of love and I do confess, that in external videos they look great.
The car dives in on the braking, you see all the weight transfer and everything. No other sim offers that!

Example:
But as soon as I drive it, it feels just so wrong to me. Just one example: I tested the BMW Z4 GT3 at Monza. I know the track very well and usually drive GT cars, so a perfect combination for me.
Despite all the massive understeer you get everywhere in AC even with setup tweaks, I wanted to point out something you can judge on a much more objective level. So I will talk about the braking distance.

Every racer knows how hard the first braking zone in Monza is. You have a low downforce car and arrive at 260+ kph and have to break down to 60-80kph. So if you look at a lot of GT3 onboards on youtube even with cars, that do have ABS and are a bit restricted due to BOP. They all break before the 200meter board.
That said, I can brake at the 300meter (270kph) board and have the car at a total stand still at 150meters. If I brake for the corner I can brake at or after the 150 meter board.
So we already have a 25% shorter braking zone compared to a real life car with equal or less power and ABS, which I didn't use.

Test conditions:
So now people would start arguing, that I maybe run more downforce and stuff and that is the weirdest thing. I tried to figure out the "worst" braking performance. I used hard tyres and removed all the downforce from the car for this test.

I don't want to get to much into the details of the cornering behaviour and the understeer and that you can just pull on tons of lock and don't get any turn-in oversteer.

Is my opinion qualified?!:
A lot of simracers don't have a lot of reallife experience and I didn't race a GT3 car in my life, but just a quick background:

I drove Race07, rFactor1 and now rFactor2 and I am a pretty good driver in rF2 especially in rear wheel drive touring or GT cars. Even in the new Civic I was racing for wins after 30mins on an unkonw track, so I can quickly adapt to new cars and tracks etc.

In my free time I did some kart races with friends and even on an unkown track with for me unkonw more powerful karts than the average rental karts on a bit cold track I got within 1,9 seconds of the track record within 15min and reduced it to 1,5 seconds in a further 15min.
Keeping in mind that real professional Kart drivers practice their and I had maybe 2 or 3 hours track time in karts ever, I would say I am not a bad driver.

So when I jump out of rF2 into a kart it just feels like home. I apply nearly the same technique and everything. When I jump into AC it all feels wrong. It is so hard to get wheelspin. You can turn the wheel so much, that you would end up in a wall in real life.

I also spoke to some guys with actual racing experience and they got the same feeling.

The end:
I really wanted AC to be a very good sim and I do love everything about it, but these physics keep me from driving it.
In a sim I don't want it to be easy, I want it to be as realistic as possible, but in AC you can apply some really bad driving technique to get quicker laptimes.

@frederic.... My comment was not a comparison between the two title per say....it was about simulation seating in the two videos posted above.
RF2 is (IMO), the best overall simulation from a driver's standpoint.
Though not as externally 'pretty' as the other three PC based titles, it does feel and look more natural from the virtual cockpit.

I would like to see a pitch position introduced for the driver's seating..
Currently, the driver it seated way too high over the steering wheel except for Megane and Clio models.

@frederic.... My comment was not a comparison between the two title per say....it was about simulation seating in the two videos posted above.
RF2 is (IMO), the best overall simulation from a driver's standpoint.
Though not as externally 'pretty' as the other three PC based titles, it does feel and look more natural from the virtual cockpit.

I would like to see a pitch position introduced for the driver's seating..
Currently, the driver it seated way too high over the steering wheel except for Megane and Clio models.
Sorry misunderstanding there. In rF2 you can adjust your seating position a lot with the respective buttons. You should be able to go very low in the Megane and Clio.

I cant understand why people feel the ffb doesnt give correct feel. I have all fake ffb off and it feels correct. just because the steering doesnt go 100% light when understeeting doesnt mean its wrong. it requires a delicate feel just like in real life. Thank you Kunos its great.

One has to wonder why there are so many discussions about AC FFB and physics where there is so much variation about how the game "Feels". Some say the FFB and grip was perfect at v.4, others say it's better now. others say it has never been right. Some say it is Racing-Sim Nirvana and others say it is complete and utter crap. If i hadn't tried it for myself - I wouldn't know what to believe about AC at all.

Without getting into the physics directly, for me, the FFB in AC has only gotten better with recent versions but, I have also recently changed wheels and pedals so that may account for some of my approval. When I was using the G25, I had a hard time with the FFB in AC and having proper settings in the Logitech Profiler makes a significant difference in FFB in any game. How many of the negative opinions are skewed by not having the right wheel settings in the first place? Also, being on Steam also brings with it a wider range of player-types, some of whom may be misinformed about how wheels work in sims vs. other genres. I see people recommending settings that make no sense at all from my experience but, I don't know exactly what kind of feeling they are trying to achieve either.

For me, AC currently has the best FFB. rF2 has some cars that feel very good but, others are lacking or are inconsistent. I have not liked the FFB in iRacing but, have yet to search out the best settings with my new wheel (CSW). I just hope that Kunos isn't as confused about the FFB as much of the community seems to be. One thing is certain though, going from one racing game directly to another is sure to spur a wide variety of reactions - few of which are valid without spending considerable time. In my case, AC has set the bar that all others are compared to.

One has to wonder why there are so many discussions about AC FFB and physics where there is so much variation about how the game "Feels". Some say the FFB and grip was perfect at v.4, others say it's better now. others say it has never been right. Some say it is Racing-Sim Nirvana and others say it is complete and utter crap. If i hadn't tried it for myself - I wouldn't know what to believe about AC at all.

Without getting into the physics directly, for me, the FFB in AC has only gotten better with recent versions but, I have also recently changed wheels and pedals so that may account for some of my approval. When I was using the G25, I had a hard time with the FFB in AC and having proper settings in the Logitech Profiler makes a significant difference in FFB in any game. How many of the negative opinions are skewed by not having the right wheel settings in the first place? Also, being on Steam also brings with it a wider range of player-types, some of whom may be misinformed about how wheels work in sims vs. other genres. I see people recommending settings that make no sense at all from my experience but, I don't know exactly what kind of feeling they are trying to achieve either.

For me, AC currently has the best FFB. rF2 has some cars that feel very good but, others are lacking or are inconsistent. I have not liked the FFB in iRacing but, have yet to search out the best settings with my new wheel (CSW). I just hope that Kunos isn't as confused about the FFB as much of the community seems to be. One thing is certain though, going from one racing game directly to another is sure to spur a wide variety of reactions - few of which are valid without spending considerable time. In my case, AC has set the bar that all others are compared to.
I agree it may be that they are using the clubsport lineup of products more to set their ffb, but I concur its the new bar for feeling! The ffb in rf2 leaves much to be desired with stock settings. I'll try and put some time into running it but my time is limited and I usually give up and run back to AC! Lol

I agree it may be that they are using the clubsport lineup of products more to set their ffb, but I concur its the new bar for feeling! The ffb in rf2 leaves much to be desired with stock settings. I'll try and put some time into running it but my time is limited and I usually give up and run back to AC! Lol
I suggest trying the Classic F3 and Skippy - they are a couple of the best ones IMO.

Well I just pushed the Mclaren GT3 round a few tracks for last 90mins or so.

And I have to say the FFB is great in lower and mid-speed corners. But in faster corners it's almost like you can see the car oversteering before feeling it by the FFB. This is wrong, because the reactions you make with FFB will be much faster than with view. So it's important the FFB update frequency(or whatever) is almost real-time.

Maybe the physics changes in 0.6.5 caused the FFB to feel different, but this slight lag will hopefully be fixed one day.

And I have to say the FFB is great in lower and mid-speed corners. But in faster corners it's almost like you can see the car oversteering before feeling it by the FFB. This is wrong, because the reactions you make with FFB will be much faster than with view. So it's important the FFB update frequency(or whatever) is almost real-time.

Maybe the physics changes in 0.6.5 caused the FFB to feel different, but this slight lag will hopefully be fixed one day.
What wheel are you using? I'm not having or think I'm having this sensation.

Its really strange, i dont feel this with my Fanatec wheel but with the DFGT it does feel like some input lag, not much but some, certainly nothing to make a nuisance of its self.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 92 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 68 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 100 13.8%